King Song 16X - mods thread

EUC Custom Power-Pads

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Since a couple of days I have been worried about extreme annoying booming noises/vibrations when braking hard or accelerating fast. Today I was able to locate the problem. 

It's the trolley handle that causes the noise and vibration. Additionally I had to find out that the cheap screws were almost falling out. Since a reasonable tightening of these screws is hardly possible, I exchanged them immediately with Allen screws and secured them with Loctite. But this does not solve the vibration problem completely, because the screws are loosened by the vibrations, because the handle has a lot of play even when locked in place.

The solution is quite easy, just a piece of foam rubber at both ends and the rattling is already quiet. 

Nice! Do you know the dimensions of the bolts you used? No problems yet, but I may just go ahead and replace them as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonardo Deleon said:

I used my KS-16X in the rain today, I protected the top with plastic so it would get soaked. But right now the ON/OFF button is not working, Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Just follow my suggestions. Remove the sides of the housing and dry it with a hair dryer. Remove the water from the Power button if possible.
After that don't ride in the rain or where dust and dirt is, or follow my first post. Thats it. :efefe00999:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weatherproofing aside, I also plan on improving the offroad-worthyness of my 16x. Tried out some super steep hillocks and deep carving and didn't like how the big pedals hit the ground so easily. Can anyone who has spare pedals lying around help me check if there are other cross-compatible pedals?

• 2 weeks later...

Great info.  I might want to seal up the important areas you highlighted.  I do mainly on-road but I have a lot of dust all over the rear end on the unit.  I can see how it could easily get dust inside.  Thanks for the pics and guide!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/15/2019 at 5:59 AM, buell47 said:

I opened the 16X again

Thanks for the detailed write-ups. I have just taken mine off road and I’m concerned that it will turn out like yours as I can see some gaps at the front and back which will let dust in. However, how do you open it up? As far as I can tell, I need to remove the three rubber paddings on each side to access the screws, but they seem to be glued on and I’m not sure that they will snap back into place when I re-assemble this. Is that how it is?

It is not necessary to remove the pads completely.

I take two very small (with sharp tip) screwdrivers and carefully remove the pad step by step. Only as far as I can get into the holes with a Phillips screwdriver to loosen the housing screws. When loosening the screws take care that the pad with the glue does not touch the screwdriver, otherwise the adhesive tape will stick to it immediately. 

If you do not touch or destroy the glue with your greasy fingers, it will still stick sufficiently. Otherwise I use small pieces of double-sided tape 3M 9088 to glue the small parts back together.  

Screenshot-20191110-111317-Quick-Pic.jpg

Edited by buell47
  • Thanks 1

You will need a Phillips screwdriver (PD1/PD2) and for the pedals a 5mm Allen wrench (or 6mm ). Side cutter for the cable ties.

0:18  remove pedals 

0:30  remove side shell (to get access to the screws, see post above your post) 

1:10 disconnect battery 

1:56 remove 4x screw 

2:32 remove 2x screw (just if you are not able to disconnect the control board wires/connectors) 

same on other side

5:33  remove the top part of the shell (just pull out the handle, no need to remove it) 

5:56  remove front light panel and disconnect wires (just if you are not able to disconnect the control board wires/connectors directly on the control board, can't remember if this was necessary)

6:16  disconnect charging connector and all other too

6:53 remove 4x screw from control board 

It's up to you if you want to make all the modifications you find in this thread. I can only recommend it.

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buell47 said:

0:30  remove side shell (to get access to the screws, see post above your post) 

Thanks for your description. I had seen this video but couldn't work out how to get to the screws. Your description makes sense.

• Like 2

https://imgur.com/a/abH6WQx

just modded my 16x seat so it will stop falling off and I can add height and adjust the angle of the seat a bit

I used 

-adhesive velcro strips

-the standard seat

-black yoga blocks

-screws(the standard seat is very resistant to adhesion) 

Edited by Nimbus2000
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 9:35 PM, buell47 said:

0:18  remove pedals 

Okay, started on the left side, removed the small/short screw with the 5mm allen which took a lot of effort, back & forth, WD40.  In the video it shows that the rod comes out the same side, the right side.  I've tried hammering it out from the left side using various tools; ie the same allen wrench, a flathead, an empty driver tube, etc.  It doesn't want to budge and I'm afraid I'm going to jack it up.  

Could it be that it's bent in there from all the crashes?  Please advise, thank you!

Covid be damned.