Nikola Plus tire

I’d guess the most probable place to find the CX is to buy it from a 16X owner that has switched the tire and doesn’t feel the need to keep the original.

I haven’t seen (or looked for) the CX being sold anywhere in US or EU. Then again, ”original 16X tire” might get some hits at Ebay, Amazon, or any shop selling KS wheels.

The tire should fit and work, but the behaviour might not be an upgrade to your current one. If you want a more stable tire for your Nikola, there are other 16x3.0 options available.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’d guess the most probable place to find the CX is to buy it from a 16X owner that has switched the tire and doesn’t feel the need to keep the original.

I haven’t seen (or looked for) the CX being sold anywhere in US or EU. Then again, ”original 16X tire” might get some hits at Ebay, Amazon, or any shop selling KS wheels.

The tire should fit and work, but the behaviour might not be an upgrade to your current one. If you want a more stable tire for your Nikola, there are other 16x3.0 options available.

Well I’m open to any ideas you have as to what tire you think will be better.  Right now this wheel is not fun to me. If I can’t find a solution I will be getting rid of it. 

ChaoYang H-666 (my MSX, magnificent!), H-5167 (16X 2nd batch), H-5146 (16X pre-prod demo), even H-5102 (18XL, MSX) if you don’t need wet off-road grip.

I don’t remember the model numbers for Kenda or other CSTs, but they do have a few other 18x3.0” options as well.

Be aware though that if buying from Ali, pretty much every seller will ship a random pattern by default.

One guy sells the actual H-5167 at Amazon.com, titled as 16X replacement or such.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

ChaoYang H-666 (my MSX, magnificent!), H-5167 (16X 2nd batch), H-5146 (16X pre-prod demo), even H-5102 (18XL, MSX) if you don’t need wet off-road grip.

I don’t remember the model numbers for Kenda or other CSTs, but they do have a few other 18x3.0” options as well.

Be aware though that if buying from Ali, pretty much every seller will ship a random pattern by default.

One guy sells the actual H-5167 at Amazon.com, titled as 16X replacement or such.

I just ordered a CX from Jason.  I just hope I can figure out how to put it on. Lol

14 hours ago, Patton250 said:

For a forum that seems obsessed with tires lately I’m surprised nobody has answered or attempted to answer my question. 

This is why I suggested the 16X tire thread be moved and expanded to include the Nikola, since we can use the same tire.  The discussion is relevant to riders of both wheels.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I just hope I can figure out how to put it on. Lol

Any bicycle tire change video will get you well on your way. Just don't use solid metal tire irons, as they will scratch the rim and puncture the tube very easily. Bicycle shops sell plastic ones with a steel core, and they have worked very well for me.

Two crucial steps that many people skip, and as a result have a very tough time doing it:

1) Lubing. Dish washing liquid works well, but there are specific tire mounting greases available as well. I wouldn't remove or install any EUC tire without lubing no matter how much I was paid. A nightmare of an idea.

2) Use the center groove of the rim. When starting to remove the tire or trying to get the last bit in, squeeze the tire edges together on the opposite side of the rim, and make sure they go in the groove in the middle of the rim. A lot less force required that way.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Any bicycle tire change video will get you well on your way. Just don't use solid metal tire irons, as they will scratch the rim and puncture the tube very easily. Bicycle shops sell plastic ones with a steel core, and they have worked very well for me.

Two crucial steps that many people skip, and as a result have a very tough time doing it:

1) Lubing. Dish washing liquid works well, but there are specific tire mounting greases available as well. I wouldn't remove or install any EUC tire without lubing no matter how much I was paid. A nightmare of an idea.

2) Use the center groove of the rim. When starting to remove the tire or trying to get the last bit in, squeeze the tire edges together on the opposite side of the rim, and make sure they go in the groove in the middle of the rim. A lot less force required that way.

How about these? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDS3VCW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31L9XNS556DVQ&psc=1

also what do you recommend for the lubricant to get the tire off?  thanks 

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

They should do the job. I’m not sure if it’s a perspective issue, but they do seem a bit thick from the photos. Not necessarily an issue though.

(Undiluted) Dishwashing liquid (for hand dishes) has served me well enough that I haven’t even bothered buying and trying the proper ones.

• Like 1

@Patton250 you asked about changing a tire on the Nikola.  I’ve pulled my wheel apart multiple times and changed the tire twice so I’m happy to help, although I’m definitely not an expert.  I think the Ecodrift folks have a decent breakdown video so I’ll add tips to help eliminate potential problems.  I had to remove all the screws to get access to the wheel/tire, as well as the control board.  Make sure you put the tire on the correct direction.  When putting the sides back together, pay attention to feed the wire from the lift cutoff switch through the slit so it feeds inside to the control board.  Make sure to align all pieces so they fit together properly. Don’t bend or break the LEDs, but you will need to move each to the side to access a screw around 3 o’clock.  Tie the wires together as to keep them away from the board and fan and that they’re secure.  Silicone at minimum the hall sensor connection and wheel hub cover, if not all of the connections.  Test the wheel to make sure it works properly, fan works, Bluetooth, etc. after replacing everything but before reinstalling the sides.  When reinstalling the sides, make sure you don’t pinch any wires.  The sides should go back on very easily. 

Reach out if you have any questions. If you were closer I’d help but not sure $100 would motivate me to do it myself.  It’s a real pain.  It took me 2 hours to change the tire the last time after knowing exactly what tools were needed and understanding the process, so give yourself plenty of time and take it slow, double checking your work. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

@Patton250 you asked about changing a tire on the Nikola.  I’ve pulled my wheel apart multiple times and changed the tire twice so I’m happy to help, although I’m definitely not an expert.  I think the Ecodrift folks have a decent breakdown video so I’ll add tips to help eliminate potential problems.  I had to remove all the screws to get access to the wheel/tire, as well as the control board.  Make sure you put the tire on the correct direction.  When putting the sides back together, pay attention to feed the wire from the lift cutoff switch through the slit so it feeds inside to the control board.  Make sure to align all pieces so they fit together properly. Don’t bend or break the LEDs, but you will need to move each to the side to access a screw around 3 o’clock.  Tie the wires together as to keep them away from the board and fan and that they’re secure.  Silicone at minimum the hall sensor connection and wheel hub cover, if not all of the connections.  Test the wheel to make sure it works properly, fan works, Bluetooth, etc. after replacing everything but before reinstalling the sides.  When reinstalling the sides, make sure you don’t pinch any wires.  The sides should go back on very easily. 

Reach out if you have any questions. If you were closer I’d help but not sure $100 would motivate me to do it myself.  It’s a real pain.  It took me 2 hours to change the tire the last time after knowing exactly what tools were needed and understanding the process, so give yourself plenty of time and take it slow, double checking your work. 

Good luck!

I didn’t realize you have to remove the control board and all that other stuff. I also didn’t realize I would have to have silicone things. I’m an idiot. I should’ve just sent this thing to Jason. Thanks man. 

@Patton250 I'm hoping to work on my wheel tonight, and tho I'm not taking the wheel out, I can show you the way to take out the wheel without having to remove the control board and all that jazz. Don't even need to separate the halves. I'll make a quick video to explain and point things out!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

@Patton250 I'm hoping to work on my wheel tonight, and tho I'm not taking the wheel out, I can show you the way to take out the wheel without having to remove the control board and all that jazz. Don't even need to separate the halves. I'll make a quick video to explain and point things out!

Man thank you so much!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well since I have changed the tire to a CX this Nikola Plus is beyond outstanding. This thing is a dream to ride. I can get up to 35 mph without even batting an eyelash and its smooth as can be. I haven’t had the gonads to go 40 mph yet. LOL. I’ve settled in at 20 PSI on the tire and I could not be happier with this wheel. I appreciate everyone’s help getting me here. Especially @Marty Backe 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Well since I have changed the tire to a CX this Nikola Plus is beyond outstanding. This thing is a dream to ride. I can get up to 35 mph without even batting an eyelash and its smooth as can be. I haven’t had the gonads to go 40 mph yet. LOL. I’ve settled in at 20 PSI on the tire and I could not be happier with this wheel. I appreciate everyone’s help getting me here. Especially @Marty Backe 

:D

:thumbup:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

:D

:thumbup:

It’s really awesome. I highly recommend this wheel. I think owning both the 16x and Nikola Plus is the best of both brands. At least it is this year. :-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Glad to hear the tire change improved the Nik experience for you so much.  Man is it hard to decide which I want for my next wheel!  Marty talks about how the Nik is the best riding wheel, but loves the 16x too and calls it splitting hairs.  The 100v seems so appealing except for $500 more, and you lose the seat, great trolley, and have a much bulkier wheel too.  Is it really worth it,  I don't know.  I guess the silver lining about the hard decision is you can't really go wrong with either!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueblade said:

Glad to hear the tire change improved the Nik experience for you so much.  Man is it hard to decide which I want for my next wheel!  Marty talks about how the Nik is the best riding wheel, but loves the 16x too and calls it splitting hairs.  The 100v seems so appealing except for $500 more, and you lose the seat, great trolley, and have a much bulkier wheel too.  Is it really worth it,  I don't know.  I guess the silver lining about the hard decision is you can't really go wrong with either!

This is now your call it depends how you want to ride it, if you want speed over 30pmh you have no choice but to go for the nic+ if you want faster acceleration and a more compact wheel it's the 16x, they are probably both good rides and I've not had chance to ride the nicola yet but from reading it sounds an excellent wheel 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blueblade said:

I don’t think the Nik+ feels bulkier. They both feel the same to me and I like the thicker wheels. If you like skinner wheel there is always the MSX or KS18XL. I had to choose and only keep one between the 16X and Nik+ I honestly don’t know yet. In a few more weeks I might be able to tell you. I know this you can’t go wrong with either one. People seem to complain more about the 16X all the time so it has a continuous running bad reputation. I don’t know why because I’ve only experienced about 5% of all the complaints but the complaints are still there. Some people complain about the trolley handle on the Nikola. I like it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I only complaint was the CST tire that came with it. So I changed it to a CX the same that’s on the 16X. So now both wheels are perfect for me. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 5:35 AM, Patton250 said:

How about these? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDS3VCW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31L9XNS556DVQ&psc=1

Were you happy with this set of tire irons?

7 minutes ago, neurokinetik said:

Were you happy with this set of tire irons?

Didn’t get those I ended up getting both of these and they worked out great. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YLDTW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RQB3H2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I don’t think the Nik+ feels bulkier. They both feel the same to me and I like the thicker wheels. If you like skinner wheel there is always the MSX or KS18XL. I had to choose and only keep one between the 16X and Nik+ I honestly don’t know yet. In a few more weeks I might be able to tell you. I know this you can’t go wrong with either one. People seem to complain more about the 16X all the time so it has a continuous running bad reputation. I don’t know why because I’ve only experienced about 5% of all the complaints but the complaints are still there. Some people complain about the trolley handle on the Nikola. I like it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I only complaint was the CST tire that came with it. So I changed it to a CX the same that’s on the 16X. So now both wheels are perfect for me. 

I really like the feel of the CST but I’m nearly halfway through the tread on my second tire.  I think that I might get the CX if I can get double the mileage and not lose the road feel.  Maybe one day I can meet up with somebody that owns a 16X to try out the 3” CX.  If only I was retired and had lots of time to ride...

• Like 3

On 10/6/2019 at 12:36 AM, stephen said:

This is now your call it depends how you want to ride it, if you want speed over 30pmh you have no choice but to go for the nic+ if you want faster acceleration and a more compact wheel it's the 16x, they are probably both good rides and I've not had chance to ride the nicola yet but from reading it sounds an excellent wheel 👍

That's part of the problem, I just don't know yet.  I have only had a v8, and never been over 18mph.  I do know i want more power, range and speed, but not sure if or how much I will need or want to go over 30mph yet.  I will say driving in a car at 35-40 mph while imagining I am on an EUC, it seems like I would rarely have the pavement and circumstances that I would want to be riding that fast on one wheel, though.  I'm leaning towards the 16x, especially for the seat and trolley, and $500 cheaper price than the 100v Nik+.

4 hours ago, Blueblade said:

I'm leaning towards the 16x, especially for the seat and trolley, and $500 cheaper price than the 100v Nik+.

Some people seem adamant on recommending to go with the 100V Nikola, but I feel like it’s just because the option exists. More is more. But isn’t the 84V Nikola a more closer comparison, and already a faster than the 16X? Especially if the 100V one feels too expensive.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1