Bell (or horn) for EUC?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new rider and today is my first day riding an EUC to work.

When traveling downtown using bike land, I discover a thing that I missed from my electric scooter: a bicycle bell.

With the way some of the biker riding, I feel uncomfortable each time passing them.

Could someone share the solution you're using in this regard?

• Like 1

I had an miniature electric horn that I mounted to my wrist guards but it scared the crap out of people.

There are thumb bells but the metal mount encapsulates your ring and index finger. Not a good idea. Involuntary amputation comes to mind. 

My method is to politely state “ coming on your left (or right) “. It traditionally works but I did manage to scare a kid riding a bike over a bridge this past weekend. He careened off the bridge’s concrete wall before coming to a stop. I apologized profusely!

• Like 2

yeah, maybe not a horn because I don't want to scare anyone.

Looking for something ringing like a bicycle bell, since people familiar with the sound and know what to expect.
So far, I'm trying to say "excuse me! coming through", but I feel like I already too close to them and it might be dangerous.

30 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a new rider and today is my first day riding an EUC to work.

When traveling downtown using bike land, I discover a thing that I missed from my electric scooter: a bicycle bell.

With the way some of the biker riding, I feel uncomfortable each time passing them.

Could someone share the solution you're using in this regard?

i dont say anything when i pass someone, nor have i ever seen anyone use a bell or say anything,, here people just pass at any speed.. but why not just get something like a running finger bell https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Powerslide_Skate_Trail_Finger_Bell/descpage-PWBELL.html you can pick them up anywhere like ebay ali etc for super cheap, probably some sports stores would also carry them

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

thanks for suggestion, I might try to find it later.

just found this on amazon for dirt cheap, probably will try this first because it looks easy to mount on wirst guard or backpack traps.
  https://www.amazon.ca/Walmeck-ROCKBROS-Rainproof-Handlebar-Accessory/dp/B07TZMTSZK/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=bicycle+electric+bell&qid=1568160062&s=gateway&sr=8-15

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

thanks for suggestion, I might try to find it later.

just found this on amazon for dirt cheap, probably will try this first because it looks easy to mount on wirst guard or backpack traps.
  https://www.amazon.ca/Walmeck-ROCKBROS-Rainproof-Handlebar-Accessory/dp/B07TZMTSZK/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=bicycle+electric+bell&qid=1568160062&s=gateway&sr=8-15

cool, you can also get remotely controlled, rechargeable ones which might be better suited just strap it on to the euc handle or something and keep the remote in your pocket

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, prasket said:

I just use my words and tell people when I am passing and on what side. More so than not I get a thank you, or a wave. 

I tried to use a small bell but so far this the most useful alert for cyclists and pedestrians.
However, now I find another need for a really loud horn, some cars just keep turning right without checking the bike lane.

Almost hit 2 of them so far... shouting is not useful in this case.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

For me it is the city buses turning into bus stops. No hope for that other than to look out for bus stops. 

I always try to not riding close (behind/side by side) with those big vehicles. Their blind spots are way too big for us on a wheel.
Before EUC, I rode motorbikes for a long while, saw enough motorbikes's accident to have respect/fear of those big vehicles :( 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The V8 app can honk, but I haven't mastered how to honk and not crash at the same time, and anyway the app's honk is a good sound for maybe a barge, but not really a unicycle.  

So I like to have a rubber ducky in hand.  Folks don't seem to object to a rubber duck, and the duck is always polite.  But it took me quite a while to find a rubber duck that made enough noise and reinflated briskly to honk twice in quick succession.  In fact, I would still like to find a louder duck.  

Do youall use rubber duckies?  Which duck works best?  The ducks I'm using now were sold as "Chiwava 4PCS 2.4'' Squeak Latex Puppy Toy Funny Animal Sets Pet Interactive Play for Small Dog Assorted Color".  (Why it says "toy... for small dog", I have no idea, maybe it was a translation issue, as they are obviously safety ducks.)

61BK1y5lxFL._AC_SX960_SY720_.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, Rehab1 said:

I had an miniature electric horn that I mounted to my wrist guards but it scared the crap out of people.

More details pls! That's exactly what I need for dealing with stupid cars that try to cut me off in the bike lane! Got a link or a picture?

On 9/10/2019 at 8:13 PM, Phong Vu said:

This is brilliant - exactly what I need, I am ordering one. Do you know what it sounds like? I hope it's LOUD!

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

OMG I had to dust off this video. I use to fabricate most of my EUC ancillary devices at work so please look past my dress clothes safety attire.

That's brilliant... I want something loud enough to help with cars, this looks like it might do the job!

1 hour ago, Jack King Song said:

Jack that's awesome - show us your secrets! What were you using there? Is it similar to Rehab1's post above? ...or is that the EUC World app? I've never been able to get the horn working with my V8 :(

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, Jack King Song said:

Behave too much like an automobile, and you're going to get us all ejected onto the highway, not only in NYC, but everywhere: 

On that bridge, which is pretty well marked, some peds know they're in the wrong spot and cheerfully move, but others are tourists who will take 1 thing away from their visit to NYC: a resolution to do whatever it takes to prevent you from sailing that darn contraption in their state back home. 

An equally noticeable, but more whimsical, sound might be less risky.  Maybe a nineteen-thirties A-hoo-ga?  (Edit: Or a weed-whacker!)

Curiously, the video ended right after the guy in the green shirt didn't know whether to leap left or right, and tried both at the same time.  Did he kick you in the head?

Edited by Toad

On 8/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, Toad said:

Behave too much like an automobile, and you're going to get us all ejected onto the highway, not only in NYC, but everywhere: 

On that bridge, which is pretty well marked, some peds know they're in the wrong spot and cheerfully move, but others are tourists who will take 1 thing away from their visit to NYC: a resolution to do whatever it takes to prevent you from sailing that darn contraption in their state back home. 

An equally noticeable, but more whimsical, sound might be less risky.  Maybe a nineteen-thirties A-hoo-ga?  (Edit: Or a weed-whacker!)

Curiously, the video ended right after the guy in the green shirt didn't know whether to leap left or right, and tried both at the same time.  Did he kick you in the head?

No the guy didnt kick me in the head, why would he? He's blocking a lane of traffic thats not meant for peds.