Compact EUC for beginners in NYC

4043rr0r

Hi, 

I'm looking to get my first EUC and have my eyes on the mten3 and ks14s. I would mostly be using it for commuting to work, about 7 miles each way (although group rides on the weekend also sounds fun). Despite 16in and 18in being the Ideal wheel size, I'm looking for something  small/compact so that I can roll into the building at work and/or bring onto a crowded subway/bus. 

I'm based in NYC and will be mostly be on bike paths. Roads are bumpy but I was able to navigate through it with my Xiao Mi M365. 

Please let me know what everyone think is suitable for my situation. Any input is appreciated! 

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

mten3 for 7 miles on a "productive" ride? Each and every day? Doesn't sound like very much fun to me,

Poor Mten3 -but your correct that the MCM5 would be ideal for his purpose.

I’d vote for the 14s, smaller wheels are fun but on shorter distances. Compared to the mcm5 the 14s is lighter and has a better trolley. KS often go for range over speed compared to Gotway.

Edited by Mimolette

28 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you want to spend little money, I just saw this in the Private Sales section. It's in Staten Island.

This looks like a great deal! Thank you,

Do you know if max speed of 18mph still decreases after 50% with recent firmware?

• Like 1

Please note I edited in that $50 less would be a nicer price for the 14D (I'm not too sure what the right price for a used 14D is). But it's still ok if it's in good condition, and you get the cover. Maybe try to get it down to 600.

Also check out other used offers while you're at it.

2 minutes ago, 4043rr0r said:

Do you know if max speed of 18mph still decreases after 50% with recent firmware?

Most likely no change (why would it change), but you can ask on the Kingsong forum for a more definitive answer;)

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Please note I edited in that $50 less would be a nicer price for the 14D (I'm not too sure what the right price for a used 14D is). But it's still ok if it's in good condition, and you get the cover. Maybe try to get it down to 600.

Also check out other used offers while you're at it.

Most likely no change (why would it change), but you can ask on the Kingsong forum for a more definitive answer;)

I see. 

Thank you for your help. I will check out the forums and see what i can work out with the seller.

I have both the wheels that you are eyeing and these are my thoughts about my own personal commute (you may have emphasis on other variables than mine). The mten is a great and fun wheel but less suited for commuting: it lacks a trolley handle, is not comfortable to carry for long distances and takes more concentration to ride than bigger wheels when riding in busy traffic. The KS14S is a very good commuter wheel in my opinion. It is very nimble and unobtrusive when riding among pedestrians and it is fast enough when riding among bikers. It does however come with a couple of drawbacks: although a very good trolley handle, there is no cutoff switch (I have a total of 7 flights of stairs to pass on my commute) and there is the annoying "HELLO KINGSONG" voice when you turn it on. I have an early release of the wheel so I cannot do anything about it but in newer ones I believe you can turn it off.

For my regular commute today and for the last three years, my wheel of choice is the Inmotion V8 (Glide 3) whis is not the fastest, does not have a great range and is not the most powerful among wheels. What I value for commuting with this wheel:
- Portability and slim form factor (it tucks very neatly under my legs on the commuter train).
- Low weight
- 100% reliable cutoff switch
- Very nimble and good breaking ability as I have to traverse congested areas of unpredictable pedestrians, bikers and scooterists. And cars, of course.
- Fair offroad handling. Every day a new construction site pops up along my route which means new potholes, coarse gravel and narrow, winding passages between fences.

I also have the KS18L for weekend outings but the weight and slower breaking abilty pretty much rules it out for my personal commute. If I were to replace the Inmotion for commuting, I would probably look at GW-MCM5 which pretty much ticks all my boxes.

• Like 2

I am pretty new to this but will relate my San Francisco commuting experience with the INMOTION V8. It’s not light (30 lbs) but  not too heavy to carry up and down stairs. It thin enough to not be a problem on SRO trains (I just hold it between my legs). I have been happy with it’s performance but don’t have a comparison. I personally, would not want anything heavier for commuting.

Thank everyone for their input. I ended up getting the 14s for the extra range. I was able to get a brand new 14s for a bit more than the v8. This should last me for a couple of years some time (haha "years" what was i thinking!) and help me with my range anxiety. :)

Ps. Mcm5 does look attractive, but my budget is under 1000. I will likely upgrade to that when I get comfortable riding it and bringing it with me everywhere. 

Thanks again! 

Edited by 4043rr0r
  • Like 1

14 D or S I would vote for.. mten is far from a commuter wheel unless the conditions are perfect but even still much less comfortable.. mcm5 is of course a huge step up but is also as large and heavy as the average 16" euc so I wouldn't even look at it in your case.. v5f+ a little slower but a fun super compact wheel as well as the v8 which is much slimmer and lighter than the average 16".. in this order 14s,14d,v8,v5f+ the difference between 14 and 16 inch wheels is minimal however most people can't even tell which one I'm riding tbh so unless you're absolutely sure that's all you want it for I would definitely advocate for something a bit larger but you also have a small budget so the options I mentioned above should all work (14s would have to be second hand)

I ride a 14-inch wheel (the classic King Song 14C) in Washington DC, it's my daily driver. It's great for the times where you need to pick it up and carry it on stairs or stuff it under a subway seat. It's not so great on bumpy streets and sidewalks. I'm going with a 16-inch wheel next time, perhaps the KS16S or updated V8, just for the stability. Some say those wheels are underpowered, but my body is also underpowered and I don't want to drag around a bunch of heavy batteries I don't need for a 7-mile daily commute.

23 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I ride a 14-inch wheel (the classic King Song 14C) in Washington DC, it's my daily driver. It's great for the times where you need to pick it up and carry it on stairs or stuff it under a subway seat. It's not so great on bumpy streets and sidewalks. I'm going with a 16-inch wheel next time, perhaps the KS16S or updated V8, just for the stability. Some say those wheels are underpowered, but my body is also underpowered and I don't want to drag around a bunch of heavy batteries I don't need for a 7-mile daily commute.

depends on your weight.. the 16S is far from underpowered.. the v8 definitely is underpowered though unless you're a featherweight

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 2:46 PM, 4043rr0r said:

Hi, 

I'm looking to get my first EUC and have my eyes on the mten3 and ks14s. I would mostly be using it for commuting to work, about 7 miles each way (although group rides on the weekend also sounds fun). Despite 16in and 18in being the Ideal wheel size, I'm looking for something  small/compact so that I can roll into the building at work and/or bring onto a crowded subway/bus. 

I'm based in NYC and will be mostly be on bike paths. Roads are bumpy but I was able to navigate through it with my Xiao Mi M365. 

Please let me know what everyone think is suitable for my situation. Any input is appreciated! 

Thanks! 

I currently own both of these.  In my opinion either one would fit the use you described.  Faster/longer group rides might be a better fit to the 14S.