Just bought myself a KS16S

Gasmantle

Just a quick word of thanks to all those in the forum who've offered advice on wheels and protective gear etc over the last few weeks, I've just ordered a KS16S :)

Originally I had planned on a KS18XL but some of the feedback on buying via Aliexpress, Chicway etc worried me a little and I decided to buy a smaller wheel from a UK dealer. I can't see me doing really long distances over the coming winter so I think the slightly smaller wheel ought to keep me going for a while until I can upgrade again possibly next summer.

The saving on money will allow me to buy some decent protective gear also :)

Just got to wait till Thurday now then start burning a bit of rubber.

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Gasmantle said:

Just a quick word of thanks to all those in the forum who've offered advice on wheels and protective gear etc over the last few weeks, I've just ordered a KS16S :)

Originally I had planned on a KS18XL but some of the feedback on buying via Aliexpress, Chicway etc worried me a little and I decided to buy a smaller wheel from a UK dealer. I can't see me doing really long distances over the coming winter so I think the slightly smaller wheel ought to keep me going for a while until I can upgrade again possibly next summer.

The saving on money will allow me to buy some decent protective gear also :)

Just got to wait till Thurday now then start burning a bit of rubber.

Wow!

16" Peter , you've surprised me a lot 😁

I don't know much about KS16S, but I remember some reviews, where the wheel used to have quite good feedback 🙂

CONGRATULATION !!! 

Thanks Artur, I really wanted an 18" but they are quite expensive so I bought this to tide me over the winter - realistically I can't see me going further than the range will go on one charge over the winter period.

I was getting a bit lost without a wheel so I decided to opt for something a little cheaper than the 18XL and buy now. I'm sure it will still be a vast improvement on the V5F and I'll look at an 18" next year.

I can't wait for it to arrive :)

Guest PogArt Artur
3 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks Artur, I really wanted an 18" but they are quite expensive so I bought this to tide me over the winter - realistically I can't see me going further than the range will go on one charge over the winter period.

I was getting a bit lost without a wheel so I decided to opt for something a little cheaper than the 18XL and buy now. I'm sure it will still be a vast improvement on the V5F and I'll look at an 18" next year.

I can't wait for it to arrive :)

To be honest I can't see the point now to keep thinking of 18XL any more...

V5F wasn't impressive at all, it gave you lots of practice needed for sure.

KS16S in my opinion is superior to the V5F, and I don't think you'll be looking for 18XL upgrade once you start riding it Peter 😁

To me the KS16S should fulfill your riding needs very well 😎

Let see how you'll feel about upgrade,after your experience on KS16S 😁

I think you gonna love it 🙂

9 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

To be honest I can't see the point now to keep thinking of 18XL any more...

My MSX is way better than KS16S. 3-5 times more stable at the same speeds*. 18' makes it way easier to drive into curbs and makes potholes less of a problem.

And so I can see the point of thinking of KS18XL. :-)

If you're heavy, don't jump down curbs if you can avoid it. The metal on my wheel was definitely the weakest point and now it rests in peaces, waiting to be repaired.

* I don't ride > 30km/h

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

Thanks guys :)

I wanted the 18XL largely for its long range capability and 18" wheel but it may be that if the 16s will do about 30miles that may prove enough - I'll see how it goes over the next few months.

As you say the V5F isn't impressive but to be fair I had a lot of fun on it and still think it is a good learner wheel - for anyone who just wants to do short commutes of a few miles and isn't really a wheel enthusiast it's a great little machine to get around on.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
3 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

My MSX is way better than KS16S. 3-5 times more stable at the same speeds*. 18' makes it way easier to drive into curbs and makes potholes less of a problem.

And so I can see the point of thinking of KS18XL. :-)

If you're heavy, don't jump down curbs if you can avoid it. The metal on my wheel was definitely the weakest point and now it rests in peaces, waiting to be repaired.

* I don't ride > 30km/h

I related my opinion directly to @Gasmantle dear friend  😁

I assumed he might be quite happily riding the 16" wheel compared to his previous 14" if you know I mean 🙂

Peter knows it well, that 18" wheel is dealing much better with road imperfections and such things.

He wouldn't have buy 16" wheel if he could afford 18" if you know I mean 🙂

My words were aiming to good wish for enjoying KS16S rather, than serious point of view.

Guest PogArt Artur
7 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks guys :)

I wanted the 18XL largely for its long range capability and 18" wheel but it may be that if the 16s will do about 30miles that may prove enough - I'll see how it goes over the next few months.

As you say the V5F isn't impressive but to be fair I had a lot of fun on it and still think it is a good learner wheel - for anyone who just wants to do short commutes of a few miles and isn't really a wheel enthusiast it's a great little machine to get around on.

I meant the V5F isn't impressive compared to any of larger wheels Peter.

I know you did enjoy it and had a great fun, but I were thinking of it next to any of greater range/power 16" or 18" wheel 🙂

V5F is good wheel on its own - you've proven that 😁

1 minute ago, PogArt Artur said:

I meant the V5F isn't impressive compared to any of larger wheels Peter.

I know you did enjoy it and had a great fun, but I were thinking of it next to any of greater range/power 16" or 18" wheel 🙂

V5F is good wheel on its own - you've proven that 😁

Yea :)

To be honest I'd even like a Mten3 just for a short trip to the shops on tarmac.

You'll probly just get about 20 miles on the ks16s depending on speed, ks16s was my first wheel only had it a month then i wanted something faster with range, the 16x is 17"wheel and handles better than my msx but have a trade off for speed , consider the 16x next time it's butterly smooth .. Let us know how you get on , when do you get it?

• Like 1

The 16S has a good balance between range and weight IMO, covers any city back and forth while weighting less than most serious wheels.
While I'd love the 18XL range and sleeker looks, in city use (90% of time) I lug it up and down stairs regularly, and +8Kg would have been a hassle.

Anyhow, just to say I think you made a sensible choice.

As for range @stephen might have had a smaller battery pack, on my 820Wh I have done 55km (35 miles) with a bit battery left. (75Kg clothed, close to 30km/h)

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stephen said:

You'll probly just get about 20 miles on the ks16s depending on speed, ks16s was my first wheel only had it a month then i wanted something faster with range, the 16x is 17"wheel and handles better than my msx but have a trade off for speed , consider the 16x next time it's butterly smooth .. Let us know how you get on , when do you get it?

I get it on Thursday :)

I bought a 16" to keep costs down for now, once I'm in the market for something better I'd rather have an 18" so I'd be looking at the 18XL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

The 16S has a good balance between range and weight IMO, covers any city back and forth while weighting less than most serious wheels.
While I'd love the 18XL range and sneaker looks, in city use (90% of time) I lug it up and down stairs regularly, and +8Kg would have been a hassle.

Anyhow, just to say I think you made a good choice.

Thanks, I think it will offer a significant improvement on my V5F at a modest price and not be too heavy :)

21 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

While I'd love the 18XL range and sleeker looks, in city use (90% of time) I lug it up and down stairs regularly, and +8Kg would have been a hassle.

Anyhow, just to say I think you made a sensible choice.

As for range @stephen might have had a smaller battery pack, on my 820Wh I have done 55km (35 miles) with a bit battery left. (75Kg clothed, close to 30km/h)

Mine was 820wh but at 20mph and hills where i live eats the battery up but I'm 90kg naked 😬, 20 miles was safe minimum 👍

• Like 1

Mine also is 820wh and I'm about 80kg - I'll be riding mainly on tarmac and mostly on level ground so I'm kinda expecting about 25miles which ought to be fine through the colder weather but I'm expecting I'll be looking at something like the 18XL next year before the summer comes.

Once I've had it a few days I'll do a range test.

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Mine also is 820wh and I'm about 80kg - I'll be riding mainly on tarmac and mostly on level ground so I'm kinda expecting about 25miles which ought to be fine through the colder weather but I'm expecting I'll be looking at something like the 18XL next year before the summer comes.

You’re about right on range for full speed.  I’ve nearly 3k miles on my 16S and weigh 85kg, and can get 22 miles of aggressive riding before I hit 40% battery.  Between 24-25 miles it starts limiting speed and becomes much less fun, but you could probably squeeze 30 miles if you don’t mind slower speeds near the end. 

The 16S has been a bullet proof wheel and the only issue I’ve had is with the cheap trolley handle.  That’s been fixed now and I can’t think of a reason to not recommend as long as your good with the limitations on speed. 

Enjoy!

13 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Gasmantle, KS 16 is a very good choice, you will not regret buying one. My KS 16S is now two and a half years old, a silver rider myself, max speed 20 mph so, not exactly a speed demon. My riding weight is 68 kg and I can manage 30 to 35 miles with some battery to spare. Your newer KS16 should have a trolley handle with a kill switch. My KS16 wheel has served me well, touch wood, zero issue. I have not fallen out of love with it . With my riding style, I do not feel the need for a larger wheel, maybe a bigger battery for range. My other wheel is the smaller Gotway MCM5, 14 inch wheel, love it, love it ,love it !!!!! 

Enjoy your ride, be safe !!