Free MSX Mudguard/Stand from EWheels - Can't Install

Marty Backe

I'm sure that I'm not the only recipient of the beautifully made MSX mudguard being supplied free to all owners who bought their wheel from EWheels.

But for the life of me I can't install it. The upper two tabs can barely fit into the shell, but there doesn't appear to be enough flex to get the bottom section connected to the shell.

Has anyone been successful in attaching theirs? If so, any tips on how you did it?

I printed mine and I couldn't get the bottom two in at first, and then when I did it would scrape the wheel.  I ended up pushing the top up as far as it could go and leaving the bottom unclipped, but taped it to the rest of the shell.  Haven't had any problems for the last few months.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

I printed mine and I couldn't get the bottom two in at first, and then when I did it would scrape the wheel.  I ended up pushing the top up as far as it could go and leaving the bottom unclipped, but taped it to the rest of the shell.  Haven't had any problems for the last few months.

Thanks for the feedback. That's not encouraging.

The picture supplied by EWheels implies that it fits. But how???

kSDqhAd.jpg

Edited by Marty Backe

I got mine in without much issue.  Start low, angle in the tabs at the top - get in the left or the right on the bottom and then push it in hard, and then push up.  My first install I didn't have it pushed up all the way and there was a thud thud thud when turning/carving - so I stopped, pushed up on it extra hard and it's been good ever since.  Been using it as my primary stand and I love it.

IMG_1864.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xoltri said:

You can try loosening the couple of screws that hold the two shell halves together at the back, that should give you more room to work with.

Good suggestion. I'll give that a try.

I also printed mine before I got the one from Jason and it required quite some bending and lots of force. Now, the one from eWheels is a bit too stiff to bend it in, so I would suggest deflating the tire to allow for an easier install and then re-inflate once in place. 

• Like 1

Had that one (3D printed) for a year and a half.  It clipped on OK when I squeezed the sides.  Honestly I rarely ever have it on.  It's a pain taking it on/off depending on ride conditions.
A mudguard I fashion out of black duct tape in 2 minutes works just as well keeping my ass from getting wet.

7 minutes ago, Czestnut said:

Had that one (3D printed) for a year and a half.  It clipped on OK when I squeezed the sides.  Honestly I rarely ever have it on.  It's a pain taking it on/off depending on ride conditions.
A mudguard I fashion out of black duct tape in 2 minutes works just as well keeping my ass from getting wet.

What were the conditions that made you remove it? The various 3D mudguards that I've installed remained on the wheel continuously.

I like the idea of the built-in kickstand which I think would be used all the time.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:58 PM, Marty Backe said:

What were the conditions that made you remove it? The various 3D mudguards that I've installed remained on the wheel continuously.

I like the idea of the built-in kickstand which I think would be used all the time.

Wherever I go on the wheel, a place to lean it on is always within a few feet/meters away, like a post, tree, bench, picnic table, garbage can, wall, etc. Rarely was there anything around me that it can't be leaned on...  so that extra feature didn't resonate with me.  I often join other players of Pokemon Go or HP Wizard's Unite, and a built-in stand feature I found redundant.  So the useful part of that attachment is the mudguard... so maybe it's only worthwhile to print the mudguard part out, but even then, it can be cut smaller since my backside doesn't get wet with even half of that mudguard's size with duct tape.

• Like 1