Last Night Ride of 2019 - Griffith Park - 14Sep2019

Marty Backe

This coming Saturday (September 14th) is full moon and warm weather. I think the last combination like this of 2019. So join me for a night ride around Griffith Park.

We will meet at the parking lot above the Greek Theater at 7pm (sunset). Here's the Google Maps Pin: https://goo.gl/maps/81qTT6KTdYQzZFZ38

You must park on Los Feliz and wheel into the meetup location because the ride will be ending after the parking lot closes.

Please do not depend on the headlight on your wheel. It's not adequate for trail riding at night. Bring along extra lighting.

We will be traveling all around the park and of course will visit the mountain peak that sits above the Hollywood Sign. These night rides are always fun and offer spectacular views of the Los Angeles basin.

As usual, please let me know if you will be attending. If there are no RSVPs then I reserve the option of not showing up :).

@enigma35 @HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan @Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards @noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @mark chanya @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" @Yellowman @Kens @UpDownGo @John Wood @TedTheAtheist

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

What’s the big deal? We have the same scenery in TOLEDO:laughbounce2: 

It must be absolutely beautiful in LA at night. Someday Marty!

48708006117_9d173af420_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TedTheAtheist said:

This looks fun.. and it's close. Just need a time..and I'm assuming that is the location spot to meetup.

Hope you can make it. I believe that I supplied all the necessary information in the post, but let me know if I forgot something.

51 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

What’s the big deal? We have the same scenery in TOLEDO:laughbounce2: 

It must be absolutely beautiful in LA at night. Someday Marty!

48708006117_9d173af420_b.jpg

Cool picture. What mountain top was it taken from ;)

• Like 1

• Marty Backe changed the title to Last Night Ride of 2019 - Griffith Park - 14Sep2019
1 hour ago, Kyle K said:

Will this be a long distance ride, or do you think the 800 whr wheels would be able to hang with you guys? I ride a ks16s. 

Depends on your weight of course, but your 16S should be fine. This is a night ride, so there will be zero high speed riding. Just nice meandering trail riding. We'll probably clock ~25-miles miles or less. Griffith Park is generally a nice place to ride with any ~800wh or greater wheel. Join us for the fun.

1 hour ago, John Wood said:

wow.. this sounds so tempting. What worries me is that i have zero off road experience. I only ride on surface streets (I only have 50 miles on my MSX). @Marty Backewhat would you say the difficulty level is? would you recommend for a newbie?  

I assume you have more than 50-miles of total riding?

Griffith park is not extreme riding. From my experience riding with many people, including "newbies", you'll be just fine. The best way to start gaining off-road experience is to start doing it, and you have a king-of-trails wheel to do it on.

Jump in the deep end - we won't let you drown ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I assume you have more than 50-miles of total riding?

Griffith park is not extreme riding. From my experience riding with many people, including "newbies", you'll be just fine. The best way to start gaining off-road experience is to start doing it, and you have a king-of-trails wheel to do it on.

Jump in the deep end - we won't let you drown ;)

I am kind of nervous, but hey! what is the worst that can happen?? :pooping:   haha... Will see you there at 7pm. 

• Like 1

I'm going to join in this one. I've always wanted to see LA at night. Also, never been to Griffith Park or the Hollywood sign.

Might bring some guys from SD with me. We'll be doing a ride earlier in the day though so we'll see.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

I'm going to join in this one. I've always wanted to see LA at night. Also, never been to Griffith Park or the Hollywood sign.

It's going to be a long drive for you, particularly returning home. And so that you're not disappointed, I need to state the obvious, that during this night ride you won't be seeing a lot of Griffith Park, including the Hollywood Sign (which is not lit at night). But we will be riding right behind the letters which you're be able to see at that close range.

However, the view of the Los Angeles basin at night is very nice, as is the observatory grounds which we'll be visiting.

Park on Los Feliz - here's the approximate location that I park: https://goo.gl/maps/k31D8qKvgHUxn3oPA   I'll be aiming for 6:30 so by the time that I park and gear up, I can wheel into the meetup location before 7pm.

I carry a ~1000-lumen flash light with a couple less powerful backup lights. It's no fun riding the park at night with only the light from your wheel.

See you then.

• Like 1

I'm in, brandon's a most likely. Regarding the lights, i normally use a pretty bright head mounted light. Sometimes I feel because the angle is so close to my eyes, i'm not seeing the shadows of the possible road bumps and hazards. But it's great for the distant stuff.  I might try an EUC mounted option this time around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I'm in, brandon's a most likely. Regarding the lights, i normally use a pretty bright head mounted light. Sometimes I feel because the angle is so close to my eyes, i'm not seeing the shadows of the possible road bumps and hazards. But it's great for the distant stuff.  I might try an EUC mounted option this time around.

We've done this multiple times and there's been lots of discussions about lights. Personally, I prefer mounting the light to my wrist. Then I'm not dependent on where the wheel is pointed. And head mounted lights are great for blinding everyone around you when you turn to talk, etc. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kingkong18XL said:

will an inmotion v8 suffice? ive done some rides on the trails there, but i think ive managed only 14-17 miles during one ride.

Most likely not the entire ride unless you swap batteries (which I've seen people do). You could always ride with us as long as you can.