Beginning Wheel

MDMason

I have researched this issue to the point I'm more undecided than ever. I'm 64 years old 220 lbs. My riding environment is rural off road and gravel roads. I have a ONE WHEEL that I struggled learning to ride and am still not very confident on it. I would like to try a EUC but don't want my learning curve to be hindered by the wrong EUC. I have read every available thread and viewed every video on the subject and i'm still undecided. Money is not a concern for the right wheel. As I struggle with the ONE WHEEL  I am sure the struggle on the EUC will be overwhelming. It is this premonition that I am seeking the counsel of this forum. If I purchase one I want to have all the mechanical advantages available so the only excuse is my abilities. Thanks in advance for all your insights.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MDMason said:

I have researched this issue to the point I'm more undecided than ever. I'm 64 years old 220 lbs. My riding environment is rural off road and gravel roads. I have a ONE WHEEL that I struggled learning to ride and am still not very confident on it. I would like to try a EUC but don't want my learning curve to be hindered by the wrong EUC. I have read every available thread and viewed every video on the subject and i'm still undecided. Money is not a concern for the right wheel. As I struggle with the ONE WHEEL  I am sure the struggle on the EUC will be overwhelming. It is this premonition that I am seeking the counsel of this forum. If I purchase one I want to have all the mechanical advantages available so the only excuse is my abilities. Thanks in advance for all your insights.

If you’re struggling with the one wheel you honestly might have too much difficulty with an EUC. 

I would choose the Z10 as it’s the easiest wheel to learn on for people who have never ridden an EUC and has good traction for off road and gravel. 

• Like 1

The EUC learning curve is a very personal thing, so I don’t know what anyone could say to help you out very much. But clearly the vast majority of people that commit to learning, do learn eventually.

I would choose any other wheel than the Z10 due to the amount of issues people have started having with it. I think KingSong 16X should be near or at the top on your list of wheels to consider.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

I'm a similar age to yourself and I only learnt to ride earlier this year.

In my case I bought a V5F as I didn't want to spend a lot if I wasn't able to ride, it proved to be a great learner machine but has got performance limitations that you will probably soon out grow. After clocking up about 300 miles on it and confident that EUCing was something I'd stick at I sold it to upgrade but I don't regret buying it at all.

50 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The EUC learning curve is a very personal thing, so I don’t know what anyone could say to help you out very much. But clearly the vast majority of people that commit to learning, do learn eventually.

I would choose any other wheel than the Z10 due to the amount of issues people have started having with it. I think KingSong 16X should be near or at the top on your list of wheels to consider.

You mean reliability issues? Well that’s a whole different story. If we exclude that the Z is perfect for beginners 

I appreciate everyone’s insight. The V8 is also on my short list as it is a reasonable investment and those who have one keep it after they upgrade. My only concern is the narrow tire on gravel and trails as this is where I would be learning.

• Like 1

I did a similar research last month before buying my first EUC, and finally bought an inmotion V8.

It's right in the sweet spot of price, performance, learning curve, reliability, maintenance, community (since everyone has/had it, when something happen to your wheel, pretty sure what people already knew the solution).

I already consider the:
- V5F: a little under power (I'm 165 lbs and people keep saying it's a little too heavy for V5F)
- KS-16s: everything is great except the price, I don't want to invest this much yet.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MDMason said:

I appreciate everyone’s insight. The V8 is also on my short list as it is a reasonable investment and those who have one keep it after they upgrade. My only concern is the narrow tire on gravel and trails as this is where I would be learning.

If money is not a concern like you said, the V8 should never be on your list.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

If money is not a concern like you said, the V8 should never be on your list.  

Why not?

Just because money is no object doesn't mean the original poster should go out and buy an expensive wheel that is more than he needs. I'd say if he is happy to settle for a modest speed and range then the V8 would be ideal.

I'm looking to buy a fairly high end wheel very shortly but having ridden a V8 briefly I want one as a second wheel for shorter journeys.

Edited by Gasmantle

51 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Why not?

He is too heavy (220 lbs). Driving this wheel can be dangerous, especially at his age. The battery in this wheel has only 40 cells.

Edited by TDK
  • Like 3

I have 8 wheels. My wife learnt at 66 using the KS16, now she likes to ride InMotion V10F. I used KS16 for short distance (30 to 40 miles) and doing tricks since it is very manipulable. For medium distance (50-60 miles) I use KS18L. For long distance (80 to 90 miles), I use KS18S which is seatable.  MDMason, what is your distance? It seems like KS16 may be a good starter for you. It weighs around 35 lbs with trolley handle, very convenient, good power, well-built! A second recommendation would be the InMotion V10F, also many manipulable. A third recommendation: Considering your weight 220 lbs, later on after "mastery," you might consider KS18L which will give you more mileage. 

Edited by scubadragosan

Again thanks for everyone’s input.

Distance has not entered into the equation. No general purpose outside of the experience. I’ve been a bicycle/motorcyclist my whole life and enjoy the stimulus of feeling directly connected with your environment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my take.  Take advantage of 16X FW 1.05  in stock at ewheels.  I've been riding  trails here in Utah.  16X is impressive wheel with great amount of torque in lower speeds which translates in the trail as safety and control on irregular surfaces.  Adjust the tire pressure to your liking and you have the best trail wheel on the market as of now IMHO.

Edited by Mark Lee

5 hours ago, MDMason said:

Ok, I'm down to the MSX, V10 or KS16X. Any more thoughts from the experienced?

The beefy 3” tire on the MSX and 16X does translate to a more relaxed ride, as it’s a bit easier to steer especially at slow speeds. The MSX is the bottom king of comfort, so 16X would be my easy choice of the trio.

I would replace the MSX on the list with a Nikola. 16X should accelerate and brake with smaller user input though, so it is most likely a bit more effortless to ride.

• Like 2

I started on a Onewheel and have a Onewheel Pint as well.  For me the balance I gained from learning the OW helped speed up the EUC process.  I had a problem with going straight but I found out it was an injury to my knee that was keeping me from being completely stable. Once I changed my foot stance it was cured.  +1 on the Z10.  I have one on the way.  Oh yeah, I'm 55, old guys rule lol.  Just having fun.  Peace and hair grease.

Edited by Senior Coffee

16 hours ago, MDMason said:

Thanks for all of your input, So I will replace the v10 ($1300) with the Nikola. So now it's between the MSX, Nicola and KS16X.

I haven't found anyone who has preferred the KS16x vs the Nikola after having both so far.  That being said the KS16x has many advantages such as build quality, looks, trolley, and possibly low end torque.  In every other way the Nikola plus is a superior wheel.  

The main concern with KS16x is all the software issues, buggy app, and throttling.  Things they are trying to resolve with firmware updates, the latest being 1.07.  Meanwhile the Nikola plus just works w/o any complaints or issues.  I will have a KS16x next week and already have a nikola +.  I can make a comparison.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The MSX does not scratch as bad.  (flat gray vs mirror finish) 

The Nikcola has lots of extra features. (speakers, lift switch, etc.)

I don't really think you can go wrong with a 16" to 19" wheel with 1000+ wh   by  Gotway or Kingsong. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still haven't purchased a beginning wheel. Waiting for Black Friday deals if there are any. My OneWheel keeps me entertained for now. Considering the new v8f,  but for the money ($100 more) the v10 is a better buy. Any more thoughts on the subject?

i’d recommend getting a known durable USED wheel as your first (kingsong 16S/18L perhaps). Considering you have no experience, I would go with a wheel offering stability and a shell that won’t combust after a few drops. 

Don’t buy new until you learn how to ride and save a few bucks in the process.