Max safe amp for Nicola 100v

Uncx

Ewheels has a 4amp charger. @Jason McNeil overnighted to me and I recieved in less than 24 hours. 
Charger at lower amp whenever possible. I don't think the BMS cables are able to handle much more amperage than 4. 

I could be wrong. @Marty Backe what do you think?

It is possible I've heard the Russians have been charging at more but I'm not about to take the risk of destroying a wheel thats this expensive. 

PS: It's Nikola not Nicola :roflmao:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Ewheels has a 4amp charger. @Jason McNeil overnighted to me and I recieved in less than 24 hours. 
Charger at lower amp whenever possible. I don't think the BMS cables are able to handle much more amperage than 4. 

I could be wrong. @Marty Backe what do you think?

It is possible I've heard the Russians have been charging at more but I'm not about to take the risk of destroying a wheel thats this expensive. 

PS: It's Nikola not Nicola :roflmao:

It's not the BMS cables but the cables from the charge port to the batteries. When I use my fast charger I limit it to 4-amps but I have used 5-amps on occasion. I know people who have gone even higher but I think you're playing with fire (figuratively and literally) if you do.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not the BMS cables but the cables from the charge port to the batteries. When I use my fast charger I limit it to 4-amps but I have used 5-amps on occasion. I know people who have gone even higher but I think you're playing with fire (figuratively and literally) if you do.

reconfiguring the charge port to +12-45 (and having a charger capable of utilizing that connector) vs the stock +1-5 will effectively double the charge amps the wheel can take. The batteries most certainly can take it along with the input lines on each battery. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe uses Wheellog with a custom 90A alarm and stops if it is triggered for longer than a short moment.

Are there instructions on how to configure this alarm?

My mten3 spikes to 150amps sometimes, so I am worried about its health

Edited by Declan acoustic-unicyclist

It's just in the Wheellog options. Swipe from the left border of the screen to open the Wheellog options menu, and the amp alarm can be set somewhere in there.

Careful, everytime I open the Wheellog options, my wheel beeps twice like a setting has been changed but I don't know what it is. I reset my setting using the Gotway app after this each time so I don't disable my speed beeps or accidentally get an unexpected tiltback.

And don't be worried about some number displayed by the app. See it as a mathematical articfact, the mten3 battery certainly cannot do 150 amps (more like 50 in a real spike, so I guess the 90 amp alarm doesn't make too much sense either).

And your wheel won't be damaged by these (fake) spikes anyways, even if they were real (they're not). It's just a normal part of riding that these spikes (real or not) appear when you change direction or otherwise put a quick power spike on the wheel.

In short, there's nothing to worry about, and looks like you don't even need a 90 amp warning:)

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I noticed that one vendor on AliExpress includes a 10A charger with the 100V Nikola.  I think the stock charger is 3A, and the eWheels rapid charger (which I opted for) is 4A.  On AliExpress I also see a selectable 5/10A charger, and an 8A charger.  I was hoping for a 6A charger (ie, approx 1/3C for 1800wh).  But then apparently GX16-5 has a 5A nominal rating (which normally you can exceed such connector ratings by quite a bit).  The only way to get 6A is to combine two 3A chargers through some sort of Y adapter I guess, seems like too much hassle.

edit: There is one 100.8V 6A charger on  AliExpress, but you'de have to manually splice in the correct connector.

Edited by xorbe