MCM5 with 14x2.5" wide tire is fantastic

greentung

Looks like you’ve gone to town. Good job! :thumbup:

I preserved the lower screw holes so my gap is still tight, although not rubbing. I’ve been running at 35psi, I’m 210lbs. Seems to be just soft enough. Any higher is too hard for me. Sounds like I’ll need to check on this quite frequently if you’re getting rubbing below 33psi.

I had only been using on asphalt but took it off road last week. If no big bumps I have to agree with @Jorge RT and @trya, a lot of fun! It just sticks to your feet and feels so light. Reminds me of driving a classic mini car, it becomes an extension of your body.

Watch your speed though, easy to go faster with the extra stability and as @mrelwood explained to me, the bigger diameter means you’re going faster than the app states.

Have fun on your new wheel! :clap3:

• Like 2

Thanks @RoCan. I've gone down to 38psi and it's running ok. I am 170lbs. I wonder if all your riding has worn down the center tread enough that the rubbing issue went away. I like the wide MCM5 so much now that it has replaced my beloved mten3 as the 'fun messing around' wheel. I agree it has become an extension of my leg. I can almost just stay in one spot with it like the mten3. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, greentung said:

Thanks @RoCan. I've gone down to 38psi and it's running ok. I am 170lbs. I wonder if all your riding has worn down the center tread enough that the rubbing issue went away. I like the wide MCM5 so much now that it has replaced my beloved mten3 as the 'fun messing around' wheel. I agree it has become an extension of my leg. I can almost just stay in one spot with it like the mten3. 

I’ve not ridden enough for any wear on the tyre. Is the rubbing you experienced at low psi to the interior shell when riding straight or when turning/shifting weight?

Funnily enough I was going to buy an Mten3 but went for the MCM5 due to low stock in Europe. I’m unlikely to but one now. 

The tire rubbing is in the wheel well. It's the same riding straight or turning. It doesn't affect the performance of the wheel. We're talking light contact when the tire pressure is below the recommended range. I can hear it, especially when the tire picks up sand and grit. 

Did you use the 14x2.5" inner tube that came with the tire? 

Yeah I used the inner tube that came with. I get the grit rubbing but I’ve not filed down the reveal fully yet. Maybe it won’t make a difference as you’ve filed quite a bit. Don’t notice it at high speed though.

• Like 1

Update: I've commuted for a  week on my modded MCM5. I am satisfied the mod. Starting phase two; clean, seal, and make presentable. Some  observations:

The 'fake' air vents on the MCM5 actually does vent some air through the channel. The opening is not very big. But it's there at the top vent on both end. 

mcm5_intake.thumb.jpg.1142e944208c8bb2adac57494844d1ff.jpg

The handle post doesn't drain out of shell. Will have to make sure water doesn't get into the handle holes. 

mcm5_handle_post.thumb.jpg.3dbc8b26e16fe79974750996911558c1.jpg

Added plastic trim to holding and gripping handle easier.

mcm5_handle.thumb.jpg.2dfc943c26f703a2cd4896b772930e52.jpg

Painted pedals matte black and removed the silver intake tabs from the slots. It didn't really serve any function other than looks. I might put black/silver reflectors in the slots. Next is making a rubber mud flap for the rear. 

mcm5_black.thumb.jpg.799e89f062722022806833f0d725d43c.jpg

Edited by greentung
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2019 at 11:05 AM, mrelwood said:

That must be an excellent mod! No place for narrower than 2.5” tires in EUCs!

I prefer 2.125.. more stability is not more desirable to me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did the upgrade as well. Took some photos to show the process. 

Improvement is pretty much across the board. Better cushioning, grip, obstacle jumping, and even tight turns (higher pedal clearance)

Note: (Among other things) i had to bend the valve stem in order to fit, since the original is turned 90º. 

MyUq4aC.jpg

Jbm7DzJ.jpg9ZQE4TM.jpgra38BhE.jpg

Link to where I got the tire from: 2.5" Tire - Amazon

Edited by RoombaRider
  • Like 3

I'm hesitating to get an MCM5 instead of my V8 because of ride quality, ability to grip the wheel and pedal height.

What do you think of the pedal height with the tire mod. Is the turning circle small now? I hear it was a problem.

What about going down curbs? Or up? Does the shell rub a lot still?

9 hours ago, RoombaRider said:

Note: (Among other things) i had to bend the valve stem in order to fit, since the original is turned 90º. 

woah, woah, woah, ..... please explain how you did this, as I have a whole stash of 14" inner tubes with valves going the wrong way that I would love to correct to the proper 0º, thanks in advance!

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, houseofjob said:

woah, woah, woah, ..... please explain how you did this, as I have a whole stash of 14" inner tubes with valves going the wrong way that I would love to correct to the proper 0º, thanks in advance!

I wish i had a clever solution for ya, but i just hit it with a plastic hammer while it was already loaded into the rim.  The tube will crease and bend but the shape doesn't really matter, so long as it doesn't leak. 

I tried holding the valve stem with a vice while bending, but it didn't work any better than the mallet.  Can't heat it up with a torch either as that will melt the connection to the rubber. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I'm hesitating to get an MCM5 instead of my V8 because of ride quality, ability to grip the wheel and pedal height.

What do you think of the pedal height with the tire mod. Is the turning circle small now? I hear it was a problem.

What about going down curbs? Or up? Does the shell rub a lot still?

I won't comment on MCM5 vs. other wheels, since there's a lot of personal preference in there (MCM5 isn't necessarily my favorite, but it has its advantages). 

Pedal height is higher, maybe 1/2-3/4" or so.  I don't know if it was really a problem before, but tight turns are easier with no pedal draggy now.

Trimming back the shell is the first step towards going up curbs. I don't know why the plastic covers so much of the wheel, but it is excessive and it will just break on its own if you don't preemptively trim it anyway.  The new tire requires some simple and easy trimming to the inside as well. After trimming and new tire, there is a big increase in tire exposure and going up ~5-6" square curbs is possible without hitting the shell.  I can get up obstacles as high as 9" or so if there's a little slope to it. I ride MTB trails, so obstacle jumping is one of my main concerns. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...