Polarity info for Gotway and Kingsong wheels(for your DIY)

Garrie Lim

16 minutes ago, hyperair said:

I can contribute a little regarding this -- the Lenovo-type connector has 3 connection points, not 2 (you missed the pin), and the V5 has it wired slightly different from the KS18L:

• KS18L charger
    • Outer contact: positive
    • Inner contact: negative
    • Centre Pin: disconnected
  • KS18L wheel
    • Outer contact: positive
    • Centre Pin: positive
  • V5 charger and wheel:
    • Outer contact: disconnected
    • Centre Pin: positive

This has two important implications:

• The KS18L can use the V5 charger, but the V5 cannot use the KS18L charger.
  • If you wire up a female C36 connector in the same way as the KS18L wheel, you can accept both V5 and KS18L chargers.
  • Making a charge adapter for the Inmotion V5 is much more difficult than the KS18L because male plugs don't seem to be available on their own, and the off-the-shelf barrel-to-C36 plugs leave the centre pin disconnected as well.

Additionally, the Inmotion V8 uses a GX12-3 connector, but the Solowheel equivalent (Glide 3?) uses a GX12-4 connector (those jackasses just had to make it incompatible). I don't recall what the pinout was, though.

Interesting. Thanks for the valuable insight. I buy the Lenovo male connectors from my local shop but can’t seem to find the female ones actually. 

9 hours ago, Garrie Lim said:

Kingsong(KS16X, KS18L, KS18XL)

Inmotion V5/10F(??? Not sure I dun own inmotion wheels?)

Lenovo-type/C36 connector

Inner contact: Negative

Outer contact: Positive

Watch out with this. Inmotion and KingSong use the same connector but with different polarities. If you are not careful you can short circuit your battery.

Ah sorry, @hyperair gave a more detailed explanation :) 

• 1 month later...

I asked a chargers supplier on Aliexpress about the limits current for GX16-5, and I was told 100.8v 10A is close to the limit and GX16-5 1+ 5- (2 pins connected) is not recommended. 

They suggest using 4 pins connected, like 1+ 2+ 4- 5-.

Is this something already supported on the Gotway Monster v3 100V? Or should be modified? 

As per Gotway, the v3 can support up to 20A, meaning the GX16-5 male port can stand that too? 

Also eWheels suggests not to go over 8-10A just in case a battery ever fails, no mention of the connector limits. 

Screenshot_20191013_100831_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.png

Screenshot_20191005_084002_com.brave.browser.png

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1

So Gotway improved the Monster v3 to have thick gauges to support 20A, but didn't use 4 pins instead of only 2 on the 5pin connector, making it stand 5-6A maximum, it makes no sense :huh:

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1

@Jason McNeil can you please confirm the above? I see you say its not recommended to charge the Monster v3 with more than 8-10A, but it seems like the connector can only stand 5-6A maximum? 

Someone from Spain told me the limit is 5A per Pin, so if using 2 pins (1+ 5-) the limit is 10A. 

I've been trying to find that confirmation online hard to find... But found an eBay seller who said that. 

But then discussing with the Chinese charger supplier, he insists that the limit is per 2 pins (1 pin positive, 1 pin negative), so 2 pins used (current setup) limit is 5A, and if I modify the EUC plug inside to be 1+,2+,3-,4- it would be 10A limit... 

Any expert in here who knows? Thanks. 

Ebay listing I mentioned:

ae_1571274068962.thumb.jpg.e3cbff1c67895d5a7a1f3e7aba722aa6.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

heuuuu, if you want decrease the current by pin, you must use 4 pins, 2 for + and 2 for -.

but watch out for short circuits if the socket is turned upside down by forcing...

Thanks. 

Yes, makes sense. 

But, with the current connector setup, 2 pins used 1+ 5-, is the limit 5A or 10A?

@Seba you probably know? 

Edited by Jean Dublin

21 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Thanks. 

Yes, makes sense. 

But, with the current connector setup, 2 pins used 1+ 5-, is the limit 5A or 10A?

@Seba you probably know? 

First, I strongly recommend not to exceed 10 A of charging current even in case of Monster V3 100 V. It's because you can't be sure how well current will balance between each pack inside EUC. I also suggest to use pinout as suggested by the seller: 1+2 for positive and 4+5 for negative. Even if single pin could handle 10 A for some time, every connection/disconnection will cause contacts to degrade. This will raise their resistance, causing more and more heat to build up. In higher temperature contact corrosion and oxidation will be faster, thus expediting whole degradation.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Seba said:

I also suggest to use pinout as suggested by the seller: 1+2 for positive and 4+5 for negative. Even if single pin could handle 10 A for some time, every connection/disconnection will cause contacts to degrade.

Thanks Seba, that makes sense. 

I don't want to modify the Google Monster connector to use 4 pins, I will leave it with the original 1+ 5- setup. 

So, 100v 6A (c600c 750w) would then be OK for the GX16-5?

That seems to be the most powerful charger I could find under 10A which wasn't adjustable and doesn't look massive. 

16 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

So, 100v 6A (c600c 750w) would then be OK for the GX16-5?

That seems to be the most powerful charger I could find under 10A which wasn't adjustable and doesn't look massive. 

6 A should be perfectly safe :thumbup:

• Like 1

@hobby16 has a list of connectors and their polarities in his site ( http://hobby16.neowp.fr/2016/11/20/charger-customization/  ), I guess it's ok to copy-paste them here. Do note that these are from several years ago, and newer wheels might have different pin-out or connectors, so check beforehand to be sure:

Most frequently found connectors

e-Wheel Socket Wiring Voltage Topo* Remark
Most e-wheels GX16-3 1: V+ ; 3: 0V 67.2V 16S connector for Solowheel, Airwheel, Gotway, Firewheel, King Song…
Gotway MSuper3 84V/1600Wh GX16-4 1: V+ ; 2: 0V 84V 20S other MSuper3 with battery <1600Wh have GX16-3 connectors
IPS (Holtz, Zero…) GX16-4 2: V+ ; 4: 0V 67.2V 16S warning, same connector as above but different wiring!
InMotion V8 ** GX12-3 1: V+ ; 2: 0V 84V 20S same connector & wiring as hoverboards
InMotion V3,V5 Lenovo Int:V+ ; Ext: 0V 84V 20S Lenovo square socket, originally for Lenovo laptop power supply
Ninebot One*** Lemo   63V 15S see photo for wiring***
Ninebot Minipro, Xiaomi ** GX12-4 1: V+ ; 4: 0V 63V 15

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

I know this thread refers to the Monster (with 5 pins) but just to clarify, we are saying that its OK to run 6A into 2 pins only (for example a stock 84v MSX)?

That's my understanding, yes. 

• 4 months later...