Should I give up and quit?

Serdar Baş

Hello; 

After reading a lot from this forum, I decided to buy two ninebot e+ (one for me and one for my brother). After practicing indoors for several days , I took my ninebot out for practice.

Unfortunately I lost my balance and fell, twisting my right foot that caused the tendons connected to fifth metatarsal pull the bone and fracture it in two places (Avulsion fracture).

Luckily I'm a fast healer so it took me 1 week in cast and 3 weeks walking like a gimp to heal to a point that I can walk normal. (It will take at least another 4 weeks to heal fully)

I'm back practicing my ninebot indoors again but I wonder if using a EUC is a sort of extreme sport which you accept the risk that you can get injured seriously anytime.

I'm wondering if I should give it another try assuming this is a very rare accident and EUCS are pretty safe or sell my euc and wait for Ninebot mini? (One wheel is good , two wheels are better)

I really can't afford to use a device that occasionally getting hurt is considered normal. What is your opinions? 

(Also a small tip, don't use your EUC with running shoes as high heels will work as a leverage and soft textile will not protect your foot from twisting)

Ninebot-Mini-Segway-10.png

unnamed.jpg

I would say that you are more likely to have an accident on a Ninebot mini if you use it outside as with two relatively small wheels it only takes one of them to hit a bump or ridge as in an edge of a paving slab to make it swivel off line and you lose your balance.

I will be 60 in January and don't particularly like getting hurt but in a year of riding I've only had two falls that have resulted in broken skin and bruising. I still don't wear any protection as most falls you can run off easily enough.

I still wear wrist guards, knee guards and some thick socks for my shins even after 3 weeks without a fall [I am a 70+ yo, have had my EUC 5 weeks]

You were just unlucky.       Watch over-speeding and climbing tall curbs!     Don't get complacent.

Since windsurfing its the best fun I've had!

Definitively try it again. Take it slow. I taught it myself and made 600+ km with it and it never failed. OK i got lucky on the latest firmware fail since I only installed 1.2.6 without riding it, then immediately updated to 1.2.7 and made about 70km with it and had no problems. I guess its not a more dangerous sport as biking, most of the risks being experience in the beginning and overconfidence later on, plus the obvious unpredictable traffic.

Good luck, Serdar! I think any day on an EU is one you could get injured. Reduce the risk as low as possible with good judgement and protective equipment. I agree with you about shoes: I found that work boots were much better ankle support. I think your decision all depends on if you like it or not. I love riding the EU so I haven't let the minor scrapes stop me.

Tips that might help you are if you live near a supermarket with car park. After hours or at area you can safely practice is to hold onto shopping trolley while getting used to riding.  Also if you live in an area with a kids merry-go-round to hold onto it and ride round in a circle.  Beware you don't get labeled a predator though.

Of course other ideal locales would be walls and fences you can lean against.  Or if you have rope to tie between two points and use the rope as a guide.

I am glad you're recovering!  I don't like to get hurt so I am very cautious.  I also don't like to wear a helmet so take that as you will.  I like to wear wrist guards though because I will catch myself if I fall - and no I don't expect to get hurt even if I fall.  But I don't like to fall so I don't.

But watch out for the wheel if you are crashing, stay away from it because it can hurt you with its metal pedals.  Be aware of that.

I do have a helmet and I wear it if I'm commuting.  Also I use those basketball knee pads which have hexagonal cut padding - they're thin, fits under jeans, and will prevent your knee from being dented if you do fall and get banged a bit.  If I'm going to be riding for speed I'd want a full face helmet and really good wrist+forearm+elbow protection and other gear (like that legendary guy from the arctic circle).

I don't ride a Ninebot so I can't comment on that specifically.  Take your time learning.  There's a big difference from when you're just learning to when you actually know what you're doing.  You'll learn and progress but wait a little bit longer and you'll get even better.

Sorry for your mishap. I also have twisted my ankle while ejecting from the unicycle when I was still learning. So I bought good ankle supports and better shoes. Maybe I could suggest an IPS Kahuna K1S Armored Tiger wide tire unicycle to you. It is much more stable and easier to balance. It can carry a 150 kg rider. I just ordered one for my 10 year old son but I would also be playing with it from time to time. You know how addictive it is to collect these toys.  :D

Archived