How to KS16X, yay I get to learn ride again.

Unventor

So today I got a status update on the investigation on my oddly behaviour KS16X after light rain ride. 

Somehow water got into the power button. Excatly how I am waiting for a reply. Got a few pictures of it. But it is clearly water damage as I expected. 😕

So the second part is a bit disturbing. The wrapping cracked on one of the battery packs. But no water damage to the battery. I am still a bit puzzled how this happened as I never opened the wheel. 🤔

Both issues are fixed and control board looks fine, no signs of water near it. 

As the testing and repair is completed, now is just a matter of time before my baby is home. I hope... 😔

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xorbe said:

I didn't realize that the 16X has the tallest pedals of all EUC?

Well it does for its size.

Yes The MSX has similar height at pedel connection point and have a stepper angel but it is a bigger wheel. 

The effect is shorter pedal arm/ledger to wheel axel/center. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So some good news.... 

My KS16X has started the (painful) slow process of postal shipping back home to me today. 

With a bit of luck I get to enjoy within 1 week from now just before ice and snow sets in. 

The other good news is the leaves dropped from trees the past 2 weeks and more or less are gone from the paths I normally use in my everyday commute and shopping with my wheel. 

The bad news is the past months break from riding made my knees and back ache again. So I am back to feeling like frozen fish fingers again. Not ideal for winter riding. 

So I decided to get a EUC bodyguard, but waiting for @The Fat Unicyclist to reply to my email. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So some good news.... 

My KS16X has started the (painful) slow process of postal shipping back home to me today. 

With a bit of luck I get to enjoy within 1 week from now just before ice and snow sets in. 

The other good news is the leaves dropped from trees the past 2 weeks and more or less are gone from the paths I normally use in my everyday commute and shopping with my wheel. 

The bad news is the past months break from riding made my knees and back ache again. So I am back to feeling like frozen fish fingers again. Not ideal for winter riding. 

So I decided to get a EUC bodyguard, but waiting for @The Fat Unicyclist to reply to my email. 

Awesome news on the repaired wheel but no so good on your aches and pains.. Ibuprofen and Osteobioflex are miracle workers for me. 

Watch out for those occasional leaves on your path as they camouflage potholes extremely well.

Hey @The Fat Unicyclist.... Unventor is trying to reach you. 🛎

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, Rehab1 said:

Awesome news on the repaired wheel but no so good on your aches and pains.. Ibuprofen and Osteobioflex are miracle workers for me. 

Watch out for those occasional leaves on your path as they camouflage potholes extremely well.

Hey @The Fat Unicyclist.... Unventor is trying to reach you. 🛎

Yep... We're back online now.

And working on a plan for @Unventor too...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

But then out of the blue shipping update at 16:33 and this morning I got my wheel again. 

Congratulations!:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I don't know the exact things done to my wheel, but it should be fine and some water and dust resistant improved. 

Is it possible to ask the facility and report back? I’m sure many members (including myself) would love to know what modifications were performed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Is it possible to ask the facility and report back? I’m sure many members (including myself) would love to know what modifications were performed

The best would be to open the wheel and take some pictures for us. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Also I am waiting for @The Fat Unicyclist to present his next "gen" KS16X EUC bodyguard. I decided to get this when he is ready to make new batch. This is to protect the wheel during winter as I doubt I get my KS18L rebuild soon. And I hope it will help to protect from rain too.

We're almost back up to date... And we have a few ideas for your special requests. I hope to be in touch over the weekend with some thoughts for you...   :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Congratulations!:thumbup:

Is it possible to ask the facility and report back? I’m sure many members (including myself) would love to know what modifications were performed. 

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

The best would be to open the wheel and take some pictures for us. ;)

I think it is much better that we get some official info from KS either though @Micheal Shen or @US69 (if he show up here). 

I found the side pads hard to remove without breaking, so I prefer not to mess around with it right now. Why they choose imho such a plain speaking stupid solution is beyond me. 

It might be that @Jason McNeil have something he shares with his customers. 

Right now I am not keen on opening my wheel. As for asking my dealer, I understand he put a lot of work to this and normally I would ask for a detailed report. But to keep a good relationship here I have decided to let this go. I don't want to be seen as critical to the work he has put into this. 

Edited by Unventor

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We're almost back up to date... And we have a few ideas for your special requests. I hope to be in touch over the weekend with some thoughts for you...   :)

Feel free to contact me here or though Skype, I am very interested and happy to bounce ideas.

Just commuted to work again this morning. 

It is a bit early. But considering that I bought myself a Xmas gift yesterday (V10f).... 

20191112_073724.thumb.jpg.707a8010ad4334b93eff26643aba75b7.jpg

As for FW 1.07 it performance really well to me. The wheel is very responsive. That said I don't ride it above 40kmh especially in the dark. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:42 AM, Unventor said:

So today I got into a new era of my EUC riding. 

I just got this today.... 

20200127_163652_compress50.thumb.jpg.d403e003e4c1b7e34b016aadf8247a02.jpg

So now I just wait for the spring weather to come, so I can start practicing.... 

I guess it is time to get in touch with @The Fat Unicyclist for a bodyguard as I suspect I might get a tumble or two when practicing this seated riding. 

We are just factoring in seats for the Gotway Monster and MSX... and will be doing the same for the King Song 16X and 18L/XL as soon as we receive their seats...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well time a 1000km update.

First of it doesn't sound like a long range now 3/4 year later. There are 3 main reason for this.

1st batch issue

Poor weatherproofing combined with winter seasons. 

And 2x warranty service shipped to dealer aboard.

So 1st batch issues?

First time I rode in rain it got rain damage in the powerbutton, but also somehow the battery wrapping had cracked too. This got sorted but totally took 4weeks. Logistics of spare parts is a pain in Europe.

This caused me to buy a V10F as I totally lost confidence in the KS16X as a all weather commuter wheel. But I also finally managed to get my KS18L structure fixed. So I have 3 wheels to choose from. 

Just about 985ish km the control board started acting up funny. Wheel just cut off when I stepped down and tried to extend trolley. I could turn it back on but leds were not showing normal. So dealer helped out once again. But this time I said I have other wheels to ride so no rush

Help another customer if they need a rush job. New control board were about to ship in, but got delayed at customs.I asked to get the CX321 tire swap too to a CYT (H-5167 or something like this. The new shipping tire from KS). Another 3-4 weeks of service. And reset of mileage to 0 km. So I had to ride 10km at max 20kmh to unlock speed again. It turned out to be very hard task.

The main reason why I think this unlocking is a pain, but also appreciate it in a way, is the new control board and going g from fw 1.07 to 2.02and the new tire. Despite it being not perfect seated (starts wobbling/bobbing at neat 40kmh) it feels really really smooth. And it has so much torque while I am used to 30-35 kmh as my comfort zone. Starting under 20kmh was very hard to do. On the other hand it behaves differently than before. 

Right now I like how smooth it is and that it doesn't follow surface edges anymore. But on the other hand I kinda miss the mc lean ride stile at 30+kmh.

Right now we have a heatwave here at my place. So it is hot to fully gear up. But since most of my rides are 5-20km I have done 65km in 2 days. So tomorrow I am going to see if I can do something about seating the tire better. I found 28psi works great for me. 

I need to get some longer range habits build into my bad knees. As I am preparing for the incoming V11 (still no ETA on this....yet). 

Now with the CX321 tire I think KS16X was my most fun ride. But the CYT tire make an easier ride, might not be just as fun. But I am looking at the other benefits, so so far it feels safer.

It was the lag of safety feeling with the CX321 tire that triggered the tire swap in the first place. 

I did a raincover test for @The Fat Unicyclist. During that test in slight rain I did a 90 degree turn in a roundabout onto a bike lane at 15-20kmh. But because I did brake and then accelerate as I turned the tire list grip on the wet tarmac, resulting in my wheel sliding 30-40cm sideways.  My puls doubled due to this a little later same thing happened but at 10-15kmh and sliding 20-30cm sideways.

If it works it is a great wheel at the speed I ride. I even did some off-roading where it got so much off road that I list my way and any signs of trail. I ended riding on bare rock and maintain sides. I had to trolley 500+m to get out to a road again because it was impossible to ride due to tree root, mud pit and the rough mountain surface.

So final thoughts. I am not impressed by build quality. I like having the bigger battery. But I don't really recommend the KS16X anymore. KS needs to take weatherproofing much more seriously together with build QC.it is the top main reason why I never considered to buy a S18, but jumped directly on the V11. 

But the V11 will be a separate review. So stay (almost tuned) for this.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Okey so time to make what seems to be a final entry. 

I got the control board swaped out and since then ot worked like a charm. But to be honest I have not ridden the KS16X that much. I bought a V11 last summer. And been riding that. So to keep the KS16X active I lend it out to a local euc buddy while he waited for his V11 too. 

He rode it like 300km or so. And I rode it like 450km since I got the new control board. 

But now my KS16X era has ended. It had about 1750km totally on it. So last week I sold it to another local EUC rider who wanted to upgrade from his V5(f) and V8f. 

I think he got a very fair price. The Wheel with 2x original KS chargers and custom EUC bodyguard the cx tire (looked okey after 1000km) and the 'new' stock tire (also looked fine after 750km) and 2 tores that fit a V8f (standard tire and a off-road/snow tire, red). But I forgot to hand him my seat for the KS16X.

All in all sold for 12000sek or about 1200€.

It did have some pedal scrapes but otherwise it looks very good for a wheel that had been doing off road/trails and street ride. 

Now the main reason for why I sold it was I have grown accustomed to the V11 suspension so riding a "normal" wheel was very strange (in the beginning) and I almost crashed crossing a tram line. So I ordered a 2nd V11 as at the time I had to wait for spare parts to arrive (new battery pack). After a few rides I could ride the KS16X just fine. But I do ride a bit faster these days so to do that I need the suspension. 

Anyway I am sure the KS16X will find a new happy home. And I hope we get to do a few group rides once the covid-19 is better under control.

And I need to pass on the seat too. 

So for now I doubt I will write much about the KS16X. It served me nicely despite I had to get 2 times warranty service. But ot made me appreciate a 1500wh battery even if I don't ride so far. And opened my eyes for the 3" wide tire category. 

• Like 1