Jump to content
an5vf

Gotway Nikola lights won't come on

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I've been away for the past week and just came home to my wheel. I turned it on and everything seemed fine so I turned it back off. I turn it on again a few min later to move the wheel and I noticed that the Gotway jingle didn't play. Next I noticed that none of the lights are coming on and that when I press the power button to turn on the headlight, that doesn't work either. I've tried power cycling the wheel several times to no avail. The wheel still connects to wheellog and the gotway app. Both show the wheel at 100% battery and the voltage seems ok. Do you have any idea what's going on? I've already reached out to Jason at ewheels and waiting to hear back from him. A couple people I know who have a Nikola have the same issue. I don't want to risk riding it, so I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, an5vf said:

Hey guys,

I've been away for the past week and just came home to my wheel. I turned it on and everything seemed fine so I turned it back off. I turn it on again a few min later to move the wheel and I noticed that the Gotway jingle didn't play. Next I noticed that none of the lights are coming on and that when I press the power button to turn on the headlight, that doesn't work either. I've tried power cycling the wheel several times to no avail. The wheel still connects to wheellog and the gotway app. Both show the wheel at 100% battery and the voltage seems ok. Do you have any idea what's going on? I've already reached out to Jason at ewheels and waiting to hear back from him. A couple people I know who have a Nikola have the same issue. I don't want to risk riding it, so I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this

At least 3 guys had this problem currently in NYC, one guy rode his over 300 miles with this condition and it rides perfectly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, an5vf said:

Thanks for the response @Ben Kim I'm wondering if @Nils or @Marty Backe have heard/ come across this issue?

I already responded on Facebook. No clue, but I think opening the wheel would provide useful insight if you know how to probe the internals of a wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this problem as well. Its 5v dc-dc converter failure. GotWay responded its engineering design problem and should be fixed first by making changes to motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lost the left side light ring. 
A new (updated) motherboard didn't cure it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Scully said:

I've lost the left side light ring. 
A new (updated) motherboard didn't cure it

Just buy new led strip and replace. It’s pretty cheap. For example: 
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/4JhUUroU

You need 60 led density.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, panatar said:

I have this problem as well. Its 5v dc-dc converter failure. GotWay responded its engineering design problem and should be fixed first by making changes to motherboard.

I see, thanks for the update. So Gotway will update the controller and send new ones out to distributors to pass along?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, an5vf said:

I see, thanks for the update. So Gotway will update the controller and send new ones out to distributors to pass along?

It’s not confirmed yet, but my seller responded, that GotWay toldl him so.

Edited by panatar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And BTW I rode 300 km in such condition(dc-dc broken) of total 900 km, and everything seems excellent(except lights, LEDs, voltage indicator and music).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 9:20 PM, an5vf said:

Hey guys,

I've been away for the past week and just came home to my wheel. I turned it on and everything seemed fine so I turned it back off. I turn it on again a few min later to move the wheel and I noticed that the Gotway jingle didn't play. Next I noticed that none of the lights are coming on and that when I press the power button to turn on the headlight, that doesn't work either. I've tried power cycling the wheel several times to no avail. The wheel still connects to wheellog and the gotway app. Both show the wheel at 100% battery and the voltage seems ok. Do you have any idea what's going on? I've already reached out to Jason at ewheels and waiting to hear back from him. A couple people I know who have a Nikola have the same issue. I don't want to risk riding it, so I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this

From what my friend told me today it could be shorted due to people having the chargers plugged straight into the wall and unplugging it without a fuse between(such as an extension cord). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we have new controller design for nikola plus 100v with potential fix for our problem.

Old controller: 

Old-Controller.jpg

New controller:

New-controller.jpg

Edited by panatar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...