GoPro Fusion

Patton250

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

Are any of you using the go pro fusion? Any recommendations for Mac friendly software for editing? Something besides Adobe? Imovies does not work with fusion video clips. 

So you opted to buy the camera with the worst workflow of any 360 camera made in the last couple of years? I hope you knew that beforehand but went for it anyway (for reasons I'd love to hear).

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Are any of you using the go pro fusion?

I'm kinda hesitant to jump into the conversation as a Windows software GoPro Fusion user/owner. But....

GoPro Fusion ships with stitching software to create an equirectangular file containing 360 metadata at the resolution the user chooses. Stitching takes awhile and file sizes bloom at higher resolutions. When done you have a raw unedited 360 video. Overcapture without keyframes is done with GoPro software too.

Other than stitching the front back video files (two separate file directories / SD cards on the camera) and creating a single choosen overcapture perspective video with  the GoPro Fusion software, a 360 content maker might want to:

1_simply trim the stitched 360 video and maybe (?) add a title

2_add key frames to create an 'overcapture' 2D video from the 360 source

As a Windows user I use PowerDirector for each of the above.

Aside from searching yourself for Mac compatible (keyframe type ) 360 editing software (Filmora, DaVinci Resolve - both handle 360 but unsure about keyframing) the following cost equivalent solution to FCP (?$299 )

comes to mind.

Buy a cheap ($200 or less) Windows 10 and buy/install PowerDirector. Probably not a good solution and uncertain beyond 1080p performance.

360 video is the stitched equirectangular sphere projection in the video container and codec you choose plus the meta data which various programs can add later.

How 360 video gets edited is up to you and your software choices. Getting the front and back files stitched together with metadata included is the first step and is done with GoPro software.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So you opted to buy the camera with the worst workflow of any 360 camera made in the last couple of years? I hope you knew that beforehand but went for it anyway (for reasons I'd love to hear).

I opted to go for a camera that was available.  Having said that I must have watched no less than 10 YouTube video reviews on all the 360 cameras and this one rated pretty high. I don’t even know what workflow means. Seems pretty simple to operate. The software that comes with it makes it easy enough to post videos but I know that you can make them even better with expensive software. Jezzz.  What are depressing post to read first thing in the morning on my third sip of coffee. :facepalm:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ok man. I found one on B&H.  If you say the Insta 360  is the absolute must have I’m ordering one today. I value your opinion. You make great videos. I can return the go pro fusion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I opted to go for a camera that was available.  Having said that I must have watched no less than 10 YouTube video reviews on all the 360 cameras and this one rated pretty high. I don’t even know what workflow means. Seems pretty simple to operate. The software that comes with it makes it easy enough to post videos but I know that you can make them even better with expensive software. Jezzz.  What are depressing post to read first thing in the morning on my third sip of coffee:facepalm:

:laughbounce2:  Sorry man. I thought I was stating the obvious and you were going to say something like, "I know I know, but the Fusion was ....."  Again, sorry :(

"Workflow" refers to the "work" required to turn the captured video into a usual product. The Fusion is known for taking the highest quality 360 footage. Great news. But it's also known for taking the longest amount of time to render usable video and does not have user friendly software. When the Insta360 line of 360 cameras was released they turned the market upside down because of their incredible ease in producing high quality output that is close to the quality of the Fusion. The difference in workflow is not even close.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ok man. I found one on B&H.  If you say the Insta 360  is the absolute must have I’m ordering one today. I value your opinion. You make great videos. I can return the go pro fusion.  

I thought you had asked me what I used, but I may be remembering wrong. I think the Insta360 X is awesome, and I'm certainly not alone. But maybe someone else will step in here to defend the Fusion. There are a lot of X owners on the Forum. I think the only Fusion owner is @Jon Stern. but he works for GoPro ;)

Be aware that even the X has a workflow substantially longer that typical non-360 video

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought you had asked me what I used, but I may be remembering wrong. I think the Insta360 X is awesome, and I'm certainly not alone. But maybe someone else will step in here to defend the Fusion. There are a lot of X owners on the Forum. I think the only Fusion owner is @Jon Stern. but he works for GoPro ;)

Be aware that even the X has a workflow substantially longer that typical non-360 video

I did ask you but when I looked it up no one had them. The soonest I could get one was two weeks. Then I read reviews and they all said the fusion was just as good. I could pick one up at Best Buy right away so I did. Now B&H has them. I’ll pick one up and return the fusion. 

How does the insta360 work with Mac? Easy?  How about iPads and iPhones? 

• Like 1

FWIW while I loved the resulting video from the Fusion, I sold it and got the Insta360 One X shortly after it was released because the Fusion workflow was way too prohibitive (overly long stitching time on non-professional video card computers; bulky camera size; usage of 2 SD cards with big file sizes vs all other 360 cams using 1 card and resulting in smaller files), the picture wasn't THAT much better than the One X (just different ethos), and GoPro wasn't updating it regularly enough to make things better (many 360 cameras are updated regularly, especially the Insta360 line, and some updates are huge, like even upping the video resolution quality, so you could buy the same camera a year later, and it is almost like a new model).

There's literally almost no reason to buy the Fusion now IMHO over the One X, especially since a new Fusion has been hinted at by GoPro's CEO.

Note that the computer Insta360 software is still not as good as the mobile app workflow, so having a relatively newer cell phone / tablet is hugely beneficial.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I did ask you but when I looked it up no one had them. The soonest I could get one was two weeks.

Trump.

If you're in a rush, ordering direct from Insta360 will probably be faster (some parts come within a few days to the US), as is the case with most Chinese makers in this post Trump-tariff time. 

Also, not sure if you've checked your nearest Apple store, as I've rarely seen them out of stock of the One X.

11 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Then I read reviews and they all said the fusion was just as good.

The 360 consumer space changes almost by the month.

While no one today will tell you the Fusion is a bad 360 camera (far from it), it's pretty much concensus the release and constant updating of the Insta360 One X pretty much killed the Fusion argument, especially if the price is still similar in price.

• Like 3

You could just wait a little while. There are rumors that the successor to Fusion is coming out soon, but I wouldn't know about that 😉

I wouldn't expect the same workflow as for Fusion. GoPro knows that in 2019 360 cemera need an easy workflow.

But again, I wouldn't know about that 😉

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Trump.

If you're in a rush, ordering direct from Insta360 will probably be faster (some parts come within a few days to the US), as is the case with most Chinese makers in this post Trump-tariff time. 

Also, not sure if you've checked your nearest Apple store, as I've rarely seen them out of stock of the One X.

While no one today will tell you the Fusion is a bad 360 camera (far from it), it's pretty much concensus the release and constant updating of the Insta360 One X pretty much killed the Fusion argument, especially if the price is still similar in price.

Trump??? Come on man let’s not start lol

I’ll have one Wednesday :-)

Edited by Patton250

6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Trump??? Come on man let’s not start lol

Just stating facts, not politics ;).

Case in point: all local US outlets have been "out of stock" of the audio adapter for my DJI Osmo Pocket, but ordering from China took like 5 business days delivery.

All of these stocking delays for Chinese electronics products multiplied after the tariffs back in June(?). Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by houseofjob

25 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Just stating facts, not politics ;).

Case in point: all local US outlets have been "out of stock" of the audio adapter for my DJI Osmo Pocket, but ordering from China took like 5 business days delivery.

All of these stocking delays for Chinese electronics products multiplied after the tariffs back in June(?). Coincidence? I think not.

Ah...... um.......ah....... um...... you know there are two sides to a compromise right? 

My GoPro Fusion has led me to places where minor news stories follow....without needing a long GoPro pole to make the video

Later in the news:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/elderly-man-rescued-from-water-in-lynn-after-falling-through-fishing-pier-officials-say/28702743

And my typical ride under the Leonard Zakim bridge looks 'mod' in 360 little planet.

What could be more exciting than a 'true 360' ride video on the bridge from Hampton Beach to Seabrook New Hampshire ? (NH... the 'Live Free or Die ' state (motto)) 

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Sure, but again, not politics, I'm stating causation.

So the United States is to blame? We shouldn’t insist, for the first time by the way,  that we have an equal playing field with China when it comes to trade?  That’s unreasonable to you? So therefore we caused the trade war.  It wasn’t them by insisting they have an advantage over us. It was us by saying no it should be equal? I just want to make sure. :-) 

Edited by Patton250

40 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

My GoPro Fusion has led me to places where minor news stories follow....without needing a long GoPro pole to make the video

Later in the news:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/elderly-man-rescued-from-water-in-lynn-after-falling-through-fishing-pier-officials-say/28702743

And my typical ride under the Leonard Zakim bridge looks 'mod' in 360 little planet.

What could be more exciting than a 'true 360' ride video on the bridge from Hampton Beach to Seabrook New Hampshire ? (NH... the 'Live Free or Die ' state (motto)) 

I’m not crazy about it when it gets all blurry and round. Thanks for posting the videos though. 

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Trump.

Ok brother let’s get back to it.  Did you do all your editing with the Insta 360 on your cell phone? Do you ever do it on a computer?  What devices do you edit your videos from the insta360  on? 

57 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I’m not crazy about it when it gets all blurry

While you folks hash out the Insta360 One X's virtues I'm hopping a train (2:01 EST) to Newburyport for some riding towards my 9000 mile Monster goal.

Screenshot_20190901-132814-01

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ok brother let’s get back to it.  Did you do all your editing with the Insta 360 on your cell phone? Do you ever do it on a computer?  What devices do you edit your videos from the insta360  on? 

I tried both, and the desktop, while manageable, is not as smooth a workflow to make edits, plus is still missing some features that the mobile has, I believe (not sure with the most recent update). It also feels like the stitching is more optimized for mobile and happens faster than the desktop.

I usually stitch my footage to flat on mobile, then bring it into a desktop editor (Adobe Premiere) to do further editing and color, but you can easily just do a one long shot edit and color preset in just the mobile app, as most people on the forums do.

• Like 2

So... after arriving in Newburyport by train I made my typical stop at Dunkin. One person laughed as I rolled by. Another asked if I'd ever fallen off.

A few weeks ago I turned one if the lenses up to the night sky and took a 30 second exposure at around ISO 800.

I got lucky and captured a meteor streak. Since the lens was pointed up the possibility of some kind of stitching error is zero.

The brightness was turned up in post processing.

Meteor GoPro Fusion

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So... after arriving in Newburyport by train I made my typical stop at Dunkin. One person laughed as I rolled by. Another asked if I'd ever fallen off.

A few weeks ago I turned one if the lenses up to the night sky and took a 30 second exposure at around ISO 800.

I got lucky and captured a meteor streak. Since the lens was pointed up the possibility of some kind of stitching error is zero.

The brightness was turned up in post processing.

Excellent picture 

• Like 1