How to know when your “ready” for the road?

I just did a load of bike lanes today (I'm very new to this).  Was pretty confident in the area I'm in but the traffic is light and the road is good.  Grass verge on the side in case.  The other road was a frontage road with very little traffic (I avoided commute hours because the traffic would get insane even on the frontage road). I kept as near the curb as possible (with safety margin). I think some of it is confidence but a lot of it is about being situationally aware.  I would get off the road whenever I could just to avoid blocking traffic or diverting their attention from driving.

I'll post my video shortly once it's finished rendering.

Edited by Gazza-usa
  • Like 1

I went started commuting way too early. Like @Rehab1 said, looking over my shoulder was turning me and I was still using the light pole at signals to get back on. 

In hindsight being able to look for traffic and confidently free mount and take off (in case you need to move quickly from a stand still) would have been valuable skills to have. 

This part of training went by fast. Commuting 5 days a week will force ya to learn fast.

I was dumb enough to do this in a suit and dress shoes for the 1st 2 weeks. It wasnt until I had a good crash off road (day off wearing gear) that I really realized I need to just bring dress shoes and wear one of my motorcycle jackets, and knee pads, on my commute. 

I do think part of the "litmus" test is feeling ready though. I treat these like slow motorcycles. Do do anything you dont feel up too. Those feelings can cause a pause at just the wrong time.

I'm sure we are all old enough not to have an over confidence problem. :cheers:

• Like 1

So my road riding is very limited and I don't go fast (slower than most cyclists to be honest).  I'm taking roads where I need to but always pull off when I can.  This is just to familiarise myself with road noise and traffic.  I would no way contemplate busy traffic or any form of main road.  Most of the stuff I did today was gentle link-roads.

Here's my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sip3c8YpegE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2NCl70Z46XwtO28iif5YVc2zLBmH5SUdzvbSuo1TOThN9ruOIMBOpPOyo

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Thanks for the replies. I ask because part of me feels like being “live” will force me to be more deliberate, focused, effective. 🤷🏾‍♂️

IMO, The first question to ask yourself is, how much road experience do you have in any vehicle ?  I have been riding motorcycles for 20+ years and cars for 30+ years and bicycles for 40+ years.  Road sense is a skill that develops over time too.  I'm incredibly aware of traffic no matter what I drive. In my video you see a video cut at the junction.  This is because I took a right until I got to the end and did a u turn to get back on path.  I did not want to cut a left across busy traffic.  If it would've been a 4 way I would have stopped and walked across the pedestrian crossing.

Edited by Gazza-usa

2 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

@Gazza-usaJust hada quick peek at your video. What a gorgeous place to go riding :) And awesome to see yet another older fella riding an EUC. I'm 55 and it's pleasantly reassuring seeing fellow mature riders :D 

Indeed.  It was the perfect day today.  I'm from the UK originally if you couldn't tell by my accent!!  Yep 53 going on 21!!  Really enjoying EUCs and why should the kids have all the fun anyway !! 😉

• Like 1

My Sister lives just outside Manchester in Ponyton.  I get back every now and then but Silicon Valley is what drew me here.  I do miss the UK in lots of ways but then CA has so much to offer too!!  The mountains here are incredible.  I would like to do a run up in Yosemite soon.  Saying that I have other hobbies that bode well for Yosemite too !!

..Anyway not to hijack this thread.  We can catch up on PM if you're interested in knowing more.

Edited by Gazza-usa
  • Like 1

One thing I do have is great situational awareness. I'm sure @Gazza-usawill back me up on this......riding a motorbike teaches you to watch everything. And I mean everything. It will stand me in good stead when I get involved with traffic.

I'm constantly amazed at how some friends of mine, who are non-bikers, drive with blinkers on and don't see half of what is happening around them. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

One thing I do have is great situational awareness. I'm sure @Gazza-usawill back me up on this......riding a motorbike teaches you to watch everything. And I mean everything. It will stand me in good stead when I get involved with traffic.

I'm constantly amazed at how some friends of mine, who are non-bikers, drive with blinkers on and don't see half of what is happening around them. 

I will  most definitely back you up on that comment.  On a motorcycle things happen so quickly.  The one key I was told was never get into anything you can't get out of.  ALWAYS have an "out".  My Grandad was a driving instructor for the London bus double decker drivers and he used to do some crazy skid-pan stuff in a double decker!! Mad!  But his phrase was "Everyone else on the road is a fool except you.  Expect them to do something stupid and be prepared for it!". Very wise.

I suspect on an EUC you have to be even more paranoid because you do not have much of a machine between you and the other guy to protect you.  Similar to a bicycle I guess.

• Like 2

I think it's all depending on the person itself, besides all the manoeuvres your able to do . I think the biggest factor is confidence and performing under possible stress, like extensive breaking when needed but also analysing your environment in a faster way then when your a pedestrian ... 

• Like 2

I don't think you do ,you think yr ready and it's not till yr in it you realise hoo hmm should have practiced more 

Truth is the more you challange yr self the better you get 

Not saying ride against traffic on the freeway but you asking the question suggests you will be doing it soon 

So be safe gear up enjoy the ride 

• Like 2