KS 16X Overlean -- my first ever and I'm really impressed by its durability!

Reggie510

26 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I think you need to adjust the tilt back there.

Screenshot_20190829-230714_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks buell47. It appears mine was/is set to 40km/h. Even though the tilt back is set there, I'm wondering if it is still possible to go faster than that speed if you try to accelerate. I'm looking for a way to set a hard limit so that it simply won't go past. Just trying to figure out how I can prevent an overlean in the future. I never had an overlean with my V8 despite riding it at tilt back and the alarm complaining at me... It just won't even try to accelerate once I'm at max speed. 

1 hour ago, Reggie510 said:

This video is a very good approximation of what happened to me... just at a slightly lower speed :P.

If that man had not had a full face protecting helmet he would have no teeth right now. 

I've found that especially past 20mph, it's fairly easy to lean hard and pedal dip the 16X - and I'm only 137 lbs.

And you might know this already, but the faster you go, the less torque the wheel has to respond to strong input. 

Focus on smoooooth input when going past 20 mph - save the jolting leans for slow speeds on flat ground.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 6:17 PM, Reggie510 said:

I'm 160 lbs and I was carrying about 50-60 lbs on my back.

Just noticed that detail. That's 1/3 your body weight, holy moly. 

Would you happen to have your wheelog logs? Would love to see how much power you were drawing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seage said:

Just to be clear, the dipping pedals is a sign of overlean? 

Dipping pedals is a sign, that the wheel cannot accelerate fast enough to stay under you and keep the pedals straight.

So that's normally an overlean.

In your special case - driving over a bump, the wheel just had a longer way to drive, and maybe "got stuck" a bit on the upward corner. 

By trying to accelerate again under you it could be, that the wheel reached it's maximum acceleration for this speeds or it could be, that by your "falling forward" not enough "pressure" was on the pedals to get the wheel to maximum acceleration.

Anyway, you were "falling forward" slow enough and the wheel was accelerating fast enough to catch you again.

With a bigger bump (wheel needs a longer way, could get "airborne",...) and/or higher speed (less maximum acceleration available) this can end very differently.

1 hour ago, seage said:

But i guess if you notice the dip immediately, you have time to pull back and catch tiltback? 

Yes. One can catch an overlean, if one notices it and reacts fast enough. Breaking is still possible wo any problem. Or just not leaning forward anymore asks less acceleration from the wheel which it could still provide.

Ps.: That you hit the tiltback just when the wheel caught up with you was  coincidence.

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, Patton250 said:

I will bet you guys that change tires regret it. 

With all due respect, I bet you guys won't.

Few fellow local riders tried my 16X, before they changed their tires and they never looked back.

It's totally okey that you like how the stock tire feels and rides, to each his own.

I simply just want to point out that KS decided to change back to CYT tires for their 2nd batch 16X.

IIRC, they stocked 2000 of this CYT 16x3.0 tires and they said they will use BOTH ....CYT tires and the stock CX321 tires.

Hmm....interesting, I wonder how many 16X were sold or they plan to sell globally.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hibiki Mr.H said:

With all due respect, I bet you guys won't.

Few fellow local riders tried my 16X, before they changed their tires and they never looked back.

It's totally okey that you like how the stock tire feels and rides, to each his own.

I simply just want to point out that KS decided to change back to CYT tires for their 2nd batch 16X.

IIRC, they stocked 2000 of this CYT 16x3.0 tires and they said they will use BOTH ....CYT tires and the stock CX321 tires.

Hmm....interesting, I wonder how many 16X were sold or they plan to sell globally.

OK. What all do respect I disagree with you. I have the other tire on my Nikola and I think it rides poorly.  I realize you are selling a bunch of them and that’s cool. If you guys change them and like the original one better they can always go back. No big deal.  In my opinion the 16 X is remarkably smooth and has an awesome ride. Last night I rode all my wheels over the course of two hours. I kept switching back-and-forth. The 16 X in my opinion had the best ride of them all. It was so remarkably easy to get up to 30 mph that I didn’t even think twice. I can see that’s how this guy wiped out by accelerating too hard at 25 mph. It’s easy to do that.  When I hit 25 mph on my Nikola I feel like it’s going to break apart. Lol.  It’s pretty dang smooth up to that though.  So anyway to each his own. Just remember the old adage be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

OK. What all do respect I disagree with you. I have the other tire on my Nikola and I think it rides poorly.  I realize you are selling a bunch of them and that’s cool. If you guys change them and like the original one better they can always go back. No big deal.  In my opinion the 16 X is remarkably smooth and has an awesome ride. Last night I rode all my wheels over the course of two hours. I kept switching back-and-forth. The 16 X in my opinion had the best ride of them all. It was so remarkably easy to get up to 30 mph that I didn’t even think twice. I can see that’s how this guy wiped out by accelerating too hard at 25 mph. It’s easy to do that.  When I hit 25 mph on my Nikola I feel like it’s going to break apart. Lol.  It’s pretty dang smooth up to that though.  So anyway to each his own. Just remember the old adage be careful what you wish for. 

I'm amazed the times I hit 30 on my 16X (CX321) and don't even realize it. I never have to lean into it hard to achieve that speed and I weigh 145lbs. Very smooth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I thought the Nikola had the cst tire and not the cyt?

The cyt is the one from the pre-production 16x

Edited by Slashebeest
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I have the other tire on my Nikola and I think it rides poorly.

Well i can say for me the stock CX321 was garbage and still is, the CST is so much better.

I rode the stock tire for about 500km and still hated it.

In about 2 weeks i will get the chaoyang and i bet i will love the X even more. ;)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Well i can say for me the stock CX321 was garbage and still is, the CST is so much better.

I rode the stock tire for about 500km and still hated it.

In about 2 weeks i will get the chaoyang and i bet i will love the X even more. ;)

Ok lol garbage? 

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

OK. What all do respect I disagree with you. I have the other tire on my Nikola and I think it rides poorly. 

Nikola stock = CST: soft garbage

16X stock = CX: hard garbage

16X pre-production = CYT: the chosen one - best garbage

The CYT is the one Hsieannnng-biki is sending out. @eddiemoyalso loves the CYT. 

39agen.jpg

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

Ps.: That you hit the tiltback just when the wheel caught up with you was  coincidence.

Exciting coincidence. 

Lmao. Thanks for explaining!

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Nikola stock = CST: soft garbage

16X stock = CX: hard garbage

16X pre-production = CYT: the chosen one - best garbage

The CYT is the one Hsieannnng-biki is sending out. @eddiemoyalso loves the CYT. 

39agen.jpg

Lol. Thanks man. I knew this but it’s cool. Funny too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Not quite. To complicate things a bit more, the various iterations of the 16X have been equipped with (at least) four different tires:

Early demo: ChaoYang H-5146

Pre-production sample: CST C-1488 (”Nikola”)

1st batch production: CX321

2nd batch: ChaoYang H-5167

The ”community tire” is the H-5167, which KingSong seem to have found only a moment ago.

That's what it looks like, since I've been following it.  And someone mentioned that the Dalishen CX321 and CX327 may be used in future batches.  So who knows how KS is choosing the tire.  It may be based solely on cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

They are probably wondering why do we care so much. 

Yes, I had that thought as well.  They are probably scratching their heads.  Of all the things they were worried about, the tire was probably pretty low on the list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genghis said:

So who knows how KS is choosing the tire.  It may be based solely on cost.

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:
5 hours ago, Genghis said:

So who knows how KS is choosing the tire.  It may be based solely on cost.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s mainly based on availability

Yes, availability, I don't think they decided based on price. 

Sorry to all customers, 16X will be available in winter 2019, because we are waiting for the CYT H-5167 tire. In the meantime, our whole company take a break for 2 months. :efee612b4b:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Not quite. To complicate things a bit more, the various iterations of the 16X have been equipped with (at least) four different tires:

Early demo: ChaoYang H-5146

Pre-production sample: CST C-1488 (”Nikola”)

1st batch production: CX321

2nd batch: ChaoYang H-5167

The ”community tire” is the H-5167, which KingSong seem to have found only a moment ago.

So who is getting this H-5167 and when?