Brand new ninebot noise from pedal

David Holderbach

Hi everyone ! 

First of all thanks to everyone for the useful information I found so far, I have been reading a lot on this forum before to change from my V8 to the Z10. 

I have to say like everyone, that it' s kind of re- learning as , even after 3500 km on the V8, both the wheel anatomy and weight, balance of the Z10 itself Is very different from the V8. 

But I am here to launch a question to the owners of a z10 , which I couldn't find replies to on this forum or any other . 

After only 15/20 km on the wheel, I started to hear (and still do) a weird old wooden door "gneek" from the pedal, anytime I switch the balance to the forward or backward side. Literally like the old doors opening in horror movies when the suspense is high. 

So, I have never had a second of hesitation or horror feelings when traveling on my v8... and still don't. The pedals are just much smaller, but I have the sensation this whole Z10 is about to throw a red-  eyed monster at me from the inside, everytime I slow down or accelerate. This obviously happens when I m next to people, who (couple of them) definitely spot me coming from the noise. It's quite annoying. 

Shall I put a bit of oil in the junctions, or just wait for it to eventually leave as the gear is new ? 

HAs anyone else experienced the same "problem " and did it go away itself or after some maintenance ? 

Really surprised. Also the screw from the trolley are completely loss on the side of the EUC and I have the sensation the whole thing is just falling apart when I bring it. Completely another feeling from the V8, which is just ready to use on unboxing. 

#notsuperhappyrightnow apart from the speed sensation which is .... phenomenal ! 

I took the plates and pins out of my new Z10 to lube them. They weren't making a noise but they were bone dry so applying a thin layer of grease to all moving parts will not only keep them smooth but keep rust (the pins are steel) at bay too. It's super quick to do - a single allen screw under the plate in the centre of the hinge. Loosen it (no need to remove) and slide out the pins. Don't lose the plastic spacers - 2 on each plate.

I never use the trolley so can't help you with that sorry.

• Like 1

Amazing thank you . I lubed it and the noise appears to be gone ! 

I overthought - this kind of long lasting (I guess, I hope!) mechanical arms are always gneeky in the begin of their life. And it was the fact it was dry that made that weird noise when changing the weight balance . An enjoyable ride now and silent !! 

PS: I am just so satisfied with this wheel ! Every km I do I feel it more and more. Although, I have to be honest....still a lot of weird sensation . 

Thanks for the tip @Planemo 

See you soon ! 

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, David Holderbach said:

Amazing thank you . I lubed it and the noise appears to be gone ! 

I overthought - this kind of long lasting (I guess, I hope!) mechanical arms are always gneeky in the begin of their life. And it was the fact it was dry that made that weird noise when changing the weight balance . An enjoyable ride now and silent !! 

PS: I am just so satisfied with this wheel ! Every km I do I feel it more and more. Although, I have to be honest....still a lot of weird sensation . 

Thanks for the tip @Planemo 

See you soon ! 

I've never did lube anything on my Z yet, no any weird sounds so far, and trolley handle is on daily usage too, no any issues - just yet 😁

@Planemo has advised you very well.

I hope you'll sort your trolley handle issue too, tighten it where connection screws are maybe?

And - enjoy riding 😎

Edited by PogArt Artur

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

I took the plates and pins out of my new Z10 to lube them. They weren't making a noise but they were bone dry so applying a thin layer of grease to all moving parts will not only keep them smooth but keep rust (the pins are steel) at bay too. It's super quick to do - a single allen screw under the plate in the centre of the hinge. Loosen it (no need to remove) and slide out the pins. Don't lose the plastic spacers - 2 on each plate.

I never use the trolley so can't help you with that sorry.

How tight did you find those small grub screws that hold the plate pins in place? I wanted to put some copper grease on the pins in mine, but I chickened out when it felt super tight to undo the screw!

The screws have a dab of locktite on them from the factory. Mine came out ok and when putting back in I just did them as tight as I was happy to given the size but I have spent many years undoing and doing up bolts and screws so I have a feel for how tight things can go before stripping/rounding off. I didnt reapply any locktight, I am happy they wont move but of course I will check them periodically anyway.

If you are unhappy to do them up as tight as I did, you could always put a dab of locktight on them for peace of mind.

• Like 1