Cogswell Ride, Southern California - September 1st 2019

Marty Backe

@Marty Backe fix the date on the title!!

I'm in for Sunday, Brandon might be in, he'll make an audible last minute. Did you say it was paved or dirt, brandon can't do quick turns on the mcm5 when there are lots of rocks and obstacles.

btw, I rode the mt lowe railroad trail today up to inspiration point. Totally doable. My goal was to make it all the way to the mt wilson red box road to see if we could ride it back down as a loop so the next time we do 9 mile ride up to mt wilson, we can take the 11 mile mt lowe trail back. Unfortunately I ran out of time as I kept reading all the mt lowe railroad historical markers on the way up. Anyways, i'll survey that route before I suggest it to the group..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Keep this in mind - it's imperative not to get a "snake-bite" flat when you are 10-miles from the nearest road. So although running with lower tire pressures can make for a more comfortable and 'grippy' trail riding experience, it can raise your risk of getting a flat if you inadvertently ride over a large rock (think baseball size).

At my ~180-pounds I'll be topping off my Nikola at ~40psi.

Thanks Marty

19 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I'm in for Sunday, Brandon might be in, he'll make an audible last minute. Did you say it was paved or dirt, brandon can't do quick turns on the mcm5 when there are lots of rocks and obstacles.

btw, I rode the mt lowe railroad trail today up to inspiration point. Totally doable. My goal was to make it all the way to the mt wilson red box road to see if we could ride it back down as a loop so the next time we do 9 mile ride up to mt wilson, we can take the 11 mile mt lowe trail back. Unfortunately I ran out of time as I kept reading all the mt lowe railroad historical markers on the way up. Anyways, i'll survey that route before I suggest it to the group..

Marty mention the trail conditions earlier, "The first 9-miles is a paved closed road that travels along a river. At Cogswell Dam we transition to a dirt/gravel type path that is great with our wheels."

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave U said:

Marty mention the trail conditions earlier, "The first 9-miles is a paved closed road that travels along a river. At Cogswell Dam we transition to a dirt/gravel type path that is great with our wheels."

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I saw that, but is it just plain old dirt or that crazy uneven loose rocky crap we were riding up to mt wilson! If it's just the dirt paths of griffith park, he can ride the mcm5. He likes to relax and sit. He was pretty tired on the mt wilson ride having to stand the whole time. I might just be safe and have him take the mTen3, he did have 50% at the top of mt wilson, he should be fine for this ride as well.

29 minutes ago, maltocs said:

Cool. I want to do Mt Wilson again so that trail down sounds great. I'll let you be the pathfinder :)

Think of all the trail parts of Cogswell like Griffith Park but with more small rocks/pebbles, or like the last couple of miles before the top of Mt Wilson. There should be no reason that you'll ever fall off your wheel. This will be a 30+ mile ride so I would worry that it may be too long for Brandon.

55 minutes ago, maltocs said:

See the footage in these old videos. Provides a good representation of the trail conditions.

And this one from 2-1/2 years ago

And one more section of trails that we'll be on

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool. I want to do Mt Wilson again so that trail down sounds great. I'll let you be the pathfinder :)

Think of all the trail parts of Cogswell like Griffith Park but with more small rocks/pebbles, or like the last couple of miles before the top of Mt Wilson. There should be no reason that you'll ever fall off your wheel. This will be a 30+ mile ride so I would worry that it may be too long for Brandon

I'll gladly do Wilson again but SADLY I don't know how much better the Nikola will do over the V10F. I got kicked off at least five times today and it was no Mount Wilson. I need to do more tests. It's definitely better but probably not good enough. 

30 miles means nothing, it's the terrain! That OC ride was 26 or 27 miles and it was easy breezy. But that Mt Wilson is only 9 each way but takes five hours of hard riding and mental concentration! But thanks for the fair warning. I'm going to assume it's at least 5 hours of ride time for this one without the one hour break for lunch.

I'll check out the videos, thanks

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I'll gladly do Wilson again but SADLY I don't know how much better the Nikola will do over the V10F. I got kicked off at least five times today and it was no Mount Wilson. I need to do more tests. It's definitely better but probably not good enough. 

30 miles means nothing, it's the terrain! That OC ride was 26 or 27 miles and it was easy breezy. But that Mt Wilson is only 9 each way but takes five hours of hard riding and mental concentration! But thanks for the fair warning. I'm going to assume it's at least 5 hours of ride time for this one without the one hour break for lunch.

I'll check out the videos, thanks

It is unfortunate that the Nikola runs hot. I haven't ridden it in really hot conditions yet. Another reason I want to try Mt Wilson with this. I'm lighter than you though.

I would assume more like 4-hours for this ride with periodic stops like we normally do. The videos capture all of the conditions. Very little mental concentration on this ride. And 9-miles of it is beautiful pavement.

P.S. We may have to do a ventilation mod on the Nikola.

Edited by Marty Backe

• Marty Backe changed the title to Cogswell Ride, Southern California - September 1st 2019
11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It is unfortunate that the Nikola runs hot. I haven't ridden it in really hot conditions yet. Another reason I want to try Mt Wilson with this. I'm lighter than you though.

I would assume more like 4-hours for this ride with periodic stops like we normally do. The videos capture all of the conditions. Very little mental concentration on this ride. And 9-miles of it is beautiful pavement.

P.S. We may have to do a ventilation mod on the Nikola.

Yes but I rode YOUR Tesla all the way up mt wilson with no problems, of course we did stop a lot for the group. when i test alone, i don't stop until it stops me. We need to strap an MTen3 to your back and ride up together to do apples to apples comparisons with 200lb riders on various devices. People would appreciate that. Your back might not appreciate it though. Have a backup device PLUS test, win-win.  I can't wait for you to retire :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

Yes but I rode YOUR Tesla all the way up mt wilson with no problems, of course we did stop a lot for the group. when i test alone, i don't stop until it stops me. We need to strap an MTen3 to your back and ride up together to do apples to apples comparisons with 200lb riders on various devices. People would appreciate that. Your back might not appreciate it though. Have a backup device PLUS test, win-win.  I can't wait for you to retire :) 

I was wondering, "why do I have to strap an Mten3 on my back?", but then realized that represents the weight difference between us? :laughbounce2:  There have to be more comfortable alternatives :)

No, I totally believe that the Nikola is overheating, which really sucks. I just need to find an "average" situation where it overheats for me. That's probably Mt Wilson. Then do a vent mod and try it again.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I was wondering, "why do I have to strap an Mten3 on my back?", but then realized that represents the weight difference between us? :laughbounce2:  There have to be more comfortable alternatives :)

sure, there are alternatives.....

Fashion-fat-inflatable-sumo-wrestling-fat-suit.jpg_300x300.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kens said:

I have to bail on this one.. Mom just got admitted to the hospital last night. I need to take care of her while she recover :efee8c29ce:

Thanks for letting us know. Hope it's nothing too serious with your mother.

So as it stands right now, there are a total of 5-people joining us on this most epic of mountain rides.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:40 PM, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Let's do Sunday.Don't forget the $5 adventure pass.Fred Flintstone will be ready.:clap3:

I was gonna swing by REI to pick up an ANNUAL pass for $30. They sell a 2nd Vehicle Pass for $5. Essentially, two for $35. Anyone want to split this deal with me?? 17.50 for an annual pass?? 

3 hours ago, maltocs said:

I was gonna swing by REI to pick up an ANNUAL pass for $30. They sell a 2nd Vehicle Pass for $5. Essentially, two for $35. Anyone want to split this deal with me?? 17.50 for an annual pass?? 

Yeah I'll do it. See you on Sunday.

• Like 1

I might be around for this tomorrow...Was just looking and it's tomorrow, right? I haven't searched the thread, what's up with parking? Need an adventure pass?!? Meeting location? Thx! If I don't drive to the Mojave today and trip out all night dancing with all the Burning Man rejects, I'll be joining y'all...😎👽💜

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

I might be around for this tomorrow...Was just looking and it's tomorrow, right? I haven't searched the thread, what's up with parking? Need an adventure pass?!? Meeting location? Thx! If I don't drive to the Mojave today and trip out all night dancing with all the Burning Man rejects, I'll be joining y'all...😎👽💜

I'll be update the top of this thread within the next hour with all details. Would be great if you joined us - think you'll love it.

18 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Yeah I'll do it. See you on Sunday.

image.thumb.png.40673814de68a7d5359cdda57307224b.png

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"His and his annual passes for us, you owe me $17.50, they stamped it september so we are good for 13 months.

I was reading the forest adventure pass site, it's mostly a guilt trip about supporting the forest by buying this pass. As it kinda mentions although they do issue violations but you will most likely get a WRITTEN WARNING and put on a blacklist and get a citation the NEXT time. Although I can't see them having the man power to check cars unless it's a very popular site.

Roll the dice!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maltocs said:

image.thumb.png.40673814de68a7d5359cdda57307224b.png

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"His and his annual passes for us, you owe me $17.50, they stamped it september so we are good for 13 months.

I was reading the forest adventure pass site, it's mostly a guilt trip about supporting the forest by buying this pass. As it kinda mentions although they do issue violations but you will most likely get a WRITTEN WARNING and put on a blacklist and get a citation the NEXT time. Although I can't see them having the man power to check cars unless it's a very popular site.

Roll the dice!

Be aware that some of us did this on a holiday weekend and parking was insane. Within a mile or so of this lot is ranger station of sort. I think labor day weekend will probably patrolled.

That all being said, the very first time I rode this I wasn't aware of the Parking Pass requirement and I didn't get a ticket. 

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Be aware that some of us did this on a holiday weekend and parking was insane. Within a mile or so of this lot is ranger station of sort. I think labor day weekend will probably patrolled.

That all being said, the very first time I rode this I wasn't aware of the Parking Pass requirement and I didn't get a ticket. 

If you don't want to roll the dice, I picked mine up at the local Big5. They said they HAD to punch the month but I convinced them to punch September since it was so close. It's $5 for a daily, or $30 for an annual. you can go back later to buy the 2nd car annual pass which is $5 but they will pumch it the same month as the accompanying full priced pass. 

• Like 1