Discussion: ideal side grips and possible aftermarket solutions?

chrisjunlee

Tried doing a search and couldn't find much discussions around this. What side grip pad solutions have people tried out?

My ideal would have the following properties:

• thin, at most 1/8" thick
  • durometer: hard = durability and consistency. Silicone rubber would be great
  • texture: rough

The issue with OEM pads: too much focus on the 'cushion' aspect of it = soft foam that wears and tears easily - all the while adding bulk.

Motorcycles have seemed to figured it out:

Image result for traction grip pads

Wondering if there's an easy source to get generic sheets like that.

• Like 1

It's funny you should ask that... I started another thread yesterday along a similar line...

What I did not mention there was that my question wasn't as much about technique and riding style, more about finding out whether there would be interest in a thin grip pad - something that isn't bulky and wouldn't get in the way, but made it easier to hold the wheel when you wanted to.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's funny you should ask that... I started another thread yesterday along a similar line...

What I did not mention there was that my question wasn't as much about technique and riding style, more about finding out whether there would be interest in a thin grip pad - something that isn't bulky and wouldn't get in the way, but made it easier to hold the wheel when you wanted to.

I think most experienced riders suspected an aftermarket motivation to your post, because most experienced riders have fiddled with their pads in order to provide better grip.

I would think a flat grip pad "sock", with an inside that can accept as much or as little inserts as needed, with rounded corners, would be fairly easy to make. It could allow the user to make it as fat or as flat, as convex or as concave, as the user deemed necessary.

It should probably not be made of soft silicone because that picks up dirt too many easily.

I see it being made of two components; a durable foam pad that's essentially the thin stock one, then the silicone pad itself, because placing the silicone pad without removing the original stock pad would make the wheel too far to grip comfortably.

• Like 1

Wonder if you could sew fuzzy (loop) velcro on the EUC body guard above the  pedals, and the pokey (hook) velcro on some removable "kuji pads", you could adjust/remove them as desired...

Wonder if that would work for the inmotion V8/glide 3 cover too, hmm...

My glide 3 came with ankle pads that people cautioned to not stick on, lest you will never be able to fully remove them, but if i put velcro on the back of the pads, problem solved...

The inmotion cover and stick on kuji pads for jumping are more or less mutually exclusive right now...

2 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Wonder if you could sew fuzzy (loop) velcro on the EUC body guard above the  pedals, and the pokey (hook) velcro on some removable "kuji pads", you could adjust/remove them as desired...

Wonder if that would work for the inmotion V8/glide 3 cover too, hmm...

My glide 3 came with ankle pads that people cautioned to not stick on, lest you will never be able to fully remove them, but if i put velcro on the back of the pads, problem solved...

The inmotion cover and stick on kuji pads for jumping are more or less mutually exclusive right now...

That's a great idea. But if you're concerned about removing sticky stuff, the you have the velcro pads to deal with :)

14 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

My ideal would have the following properties:

• thin, at most 1/8" thick
  • durometer: hard = durability and consistency. Silicone rubber would be great

Maybe look at varieties of toolbox drawer liner?  It varies from more softer foam-like, to more rubbery in texture, and is nice and thin

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

That's a great idea. But if you're concerned about removing sticky stuff, the you have the velcro pads to deal with :)

Yeah, from what people say, the inmotion pads have some real next-level adhesive on them.  Some recommended to put 3m film on the wheel first, then stick the pads to the film instead.  Unlike the pads, the film can be removed with a reasonable amount of effort. That still lacks flexibility to adjust or remove as desired.  I was thinking sew-on velcro on the outside of the fabric wheel cover- the soft side of the velcro, so it shouldn't irritate skin if riding with the pads removed.

4 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

In terms of surface tension grip, the best I’ve found is Dycem - but they’re not really durable.

This “non-abrasive rubber grip” looks promising:

4A5EAF5C-BE84-4FD5-9590-DF9AE61256F9.jpeg

Now you got me thinking about that too.  If that stuff was velcroed to the wheel with adhesive velcro instead of 2x sided tape, it could easily be replaced with fresh stuff if damaged/worn. Very unlikely the velcro underneath would be damaged to a point of not working, and if so, it could be replaced too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blueblade said:

These type of pads should be named Kuji Pads.