Gotway M super msx 5v capacitor fault

Hi all, 

I'll get straight to the point recently I have seen my temperature peaking at 62 degrees in the heat and 5v powering the front light the rear lights and the 40degree fan do not have power.

I checked the multimeter and no power going through the port.

The part damaged is circled in the pic the yellow taped block thing... I think it's the 5v capacitor.

I'd appreciate any advice on this and remedy other than buy a new board which I might have to bite the bullet and do....

Heeeeeelp 

sketch-1566739082027.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Number1stunner said:

The part damaged is circled in the pic the yellow taped block thing... I think it's the 5v capacitor.

I'd say its the transformer/inductance for the step down converter?

Normally components around this give up first, like the mosfet/ic...

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have the same problem on my MSP HT. No cooling anymore and therefore too high temperatures to ride. I tested the fan with an extra power supply, it works. The light is not working. Bluetooth is ok. The beeper works too, but is way quieter than before.

Is there any way where I can test/calibrate/repair the 5V circuit?

I am not able to see any damages lest that it go very hot at the bottom...

20220711-160345.jpg

6 minutes ago, Boris Lämpel said:

Each of the two yellow "blocks" is a inductance/transformator for one dc/dc converter. Each has two mosfets beside, two electrolytic capacitors and an IC with 4 pins. ...and some more parts not to be seen on the picture...

One of these should be for the 5V. Chances are good that the mosfets or the ic are dead and can be replaced.

If there is some internal short circuit in the inductance/transformator it will get about unrepairable - this could be no standard component which can be bought and replaced. You'd have to unwind the coils counting the number of windings and rewind it with some new wire... ;(

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Boris Lämpel said:

Hi,

I have the same problem on my MSP HT. No cooling anymore and therefore too high temperatures to ride. I tested the fan with an extra power supply, it works. The light is not working. Bluetooth is ok. The beeper works too, but is way quieter than before.

I am not able to see any damages lest that it go very hot at the bottom...

20220711-160345.jpg

My fan stopped kicking on when it reached the temp warning and then the next day I lost all my lights .my Bluetooth and speakers still connect and work .the wheel still turns on and balances .I sent an email to ewheels .I’ve only had my wheel for 3 months and this is what they said 

With the loss of lights, fan, speaker (?), this is a characteristic DC converter failure. Could you send over a short video clip of the problem for defect logging purposes? We'll locate one of those to express out to you this afternoon. 

Thanks again,

Jason 
  • Like 1