Whoever got the 16x and the Nikola Plus or rode both

Gustesta

7 minutes ago, photorph said:

With the pads added, it is THICK.  I'm feeling those pads dig into my calves and I'm constantly wanting to spread my legs.  Even putting my feet closer to the edge of the pedals isn't helping much.  

You really shouldn't add the stock pads on the Nik+, unless you have a reliable way to slice them thinner IMHO. Some thin rubber after-market padding or no padding (as I do) should suffice.

48 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

16x vs 84v Nikola is a more fair fight. 

Not even I think.

48 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Now that my MSX is sold, I’ll only miss being able to tell people that sick ass name “this is the Msuper”

Woah, nice~

FWIW, I really wish the 16X did 55kph/34mph, then I might consider getting it as a compact seater / backup wheel, but I really can't justify a $2K+ USD, 45+ lb EUC that can't do above 31mph/50kph any more.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Interesting, as I’m slowly bending toward this sentiment too lately. I love my Nikola 100volt, and that top speed is fabulous, however it’s lack of compactness, and thickness is tiresome.

I travel every weekend on a train with a wheel and the Nikola with its weight and lack of handle slows me down. It’s still a winner, but I’m gaining curiosity on the agility of the 16x.

I agree with, the thickness is getting to me...I've barely put miles on it, and I'm already getting thoughts about selling it and wondering if I should get something with a thinner profile.  The MSX is the limit for how thick something should be, this with the stock pads is higher and thicker so just feels a bit off.  Maybe I need more miles to get adjusted to it still.  Gets to 31 mph very easily though at which point I start to feel the tiltback that I keep on.  

A3EDFB45-FC38-4D09-A5FD-FEAF0AAE3532.jpeg

026BB032-2DAC-42B4-828D-13CCEA751530.jpeg

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both Nikola riders I know have sliced their pads to half their thickness. As well as moving the pads down a bit after doing so.
@chrisjunlee tried as well and ended up butchering them. Motorcycle tank grip pads might be the way to go.
I did a 38km ride on it and it felt nice. Very similar to my MSX.
The 16X is a totally different feeling profile. This is why I didn't choose the Nik+. I prefer the feel and the balancing of the MSX.
The 16X gives me the floaty feeling of riding a Onewheel. 

2 minutes in we discuss the pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s4lo0Pe5DE&t=119s

Just now, Mike Sacristan said:

Both Nikola riders I know have sliced their pads to half their thickness. As well as moving the pads down a bit after doing so.
@chrisjunlee tried as well and ended up butchering them. Motorcycle tank grip pads might be the way to go.
I did a 38km ride on it and it felt nice. Very similar to my MSX.
The 16X is a totally different feeling profile. This is why I didn't choose the Nik+. I prefer the feel and the balancing of the MSX.
The 16X gives me the floaty feeling of riding a Onewheel. 

2 minutes in we discuss the pads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s4lo0Pe5DE&t=119s

Nice, I think that's a good idea.  I'll have to peel off the pads and ruin the adhesive and find a way to make them stick again.  You're putting out videos daily.  My entire youtube feed is your videos.  How do you find time to do this everyday haha.  They are helpful though!  

51 minutes ago, photorph said:

Nice, I think that's a good idea.  I'll have to peel off the pads and ruin the adhesive and find a way to make them stick again.  You're putting out videos daily.  My entire youtube feed is your videos.  How do you find time to do this everyday haha.  They are helpful though!  

Haha sorry! I had so much footage from the day before yesterday I had to split them so it became 4 videos.
Then I met my friend last night, wasn't thinking of filming... and BAM he pops up with his Nazare.
The biggest hassle is doing a render with the GoPro overlay. Otherwise workflow would be so much faster.
My days look like this:
Wake up, drink coffee, read forum.
Practice at the track.
Cruise.
Work out.
Cruise.
Food.
Drink coffee, read forum.

:efee612b4b:

47 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha sorry! I had so much footage from the day before yesterday I had to split them so it became 4 videos.
Then I met my friend last night, wasn't thinking of filming... and BAM he pops up with his Nazare.
The biggest hassle is doing a render with the GoPro overlay. Otherwise workflow would be so much faster.
My days look like this:
Wake up, drink coffee, read forum.
Practice at the track.
Cruise.
Work out.
Cruise.
Food.
Drink coffee, read forum.

:efee612b4b:

Wow, that's living the life.

Did you forgot job/work in there maybe?  other adult responsibilities maybe (house chores, groceries, etc etc).  I have so many wheels but so little time to ride, I wish I had more time.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, photorph said:

I agree with, the thickness is getting to me...I've barely put miles on it, and I'm already getting thoughts about selling it and wondering if I should get something with a thinner profile.  The MSX is the limit for how thick something should be, this with the stock pads is higher and thicker so just feels a bit off.  Maybe I need more miles to get adjusted to it still.  Gets to 31 mph very easily though at which point I start to feel the tiltback that I keep on.  

A3EDFB45-FC38-4D09-A5FD-FEAF0AAE3532.jpeg

026BB032-2DAC-42B4-828D-13CCEA751530.jpeg

Now imagine how I feel at 5’4 😆 

Removing the pads is a must. Even with the same wide stance, without the pads, it feels much more natural since your knees are able to be closer. Amazing what 1.5” extra at the knees can do.

Right now I’m completely padless, and at 250 miles, the Nikola still doesn’t feel right. I’m at 80% confidence. Side grips would add that extra 10-20% extra confidence I have on the 16X.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Right now I’m completely padless, and at 250 miles, the Nikola still doesn’t feel right. I’m at 80% confidence. Side grips would add that extra 10-20% extra confidence I have on the 16X.

Then just add thin rubber slipmat type 'padding'. A Nik+ rider here in NYC around your height did just this and seems to be satisfied.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Right now I’m completely padless, and at 250 miles, the Nikola still doesn’t feel right. I’m at 80% confidence. Side grips would add that extra 10-20% extra confidence I have on the

Try the motorcycle tank grip.  It's thin, but provides a nice grippy surface.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DVOVIWQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_yiYzDbVYBSRDA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

My needs have changed and I now prefer the Nik+ over the 16X for the same reason you do.  I get it now why you guys prefer to go faster than 31mph.  It is even more important in NJ since these folks have a higher speed, most streets have 40+ mph as limit and NJ drivers drive above that.  Before when I was riding the 16X I didn't want to ride in the streets with the cars or in front of the cars because they would feel i'm blocking them and they would go around me.  But now with the Nik+ I can go at their speed so they are less inclined to go around me.  I now ride in the street more often than before.  Not sure if that is a plus or minus since if I fall, I'll be road kill.  LMAO

I still prefer the trolley handle and pedals on the 16X, but I can over look that for the speed and acceleration.  

I think I also feel the electronics on GW has gotten sufficiently robust and the top speed high enough that a face plant is less likely...  I'm sure it is still an option if I decide to push it hard enough.  But so far so good...

even hardcore KS fans are joining the gotway bandwagon.  I just have to make the Nik+ a bit more comfortable by moving or removing the pads, too wide currently.

Edited by photorph

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I get it now why you guys prefer to go faster than 31mph.  It is even more important in NJ since these folks have a higher speed, most streets have 40+ mph as limit and NJ drivers drive above that.  Before when I was riding the 16X I didn't want to ride in the streets with the cars or in front of the cars because they would feel i'm blocking them and they would go around me.  But now with the Nik+ I can go at their speed so they are less inclined to go around me.  I now ride in the street more often than before.  Not sure if that is a plus or minus since if I fall, I'll be road kill.  LMAO

Sounds logical. :thumbup:

In the future I will drive on the motorway also only the left lane with 300 kmh, then I have all idiots behind me which overtake me otherwise constantly at speed 240. So I should be on the safe side and not so much can happen to me anymore. :efee612b4b:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, buell47 said:
4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I get it now why you guys prefer to go faster than 31mph.  It is even more important in NJ since these folks have a higher speed, most streets have 40+ mph as limit and NJ drivers drive above that.  Before when I was riding the 16X I didn't want to ride in the streets with the cars or in front of the cars because they would feel i'm blocking them and they would go around me.  But now with the Nik+ I can go at their speed so they are less inclined to go around me.  I now ride in the street more often than before.  Not sure if that is a plus or minus since if I fall, I'll be road kill.  LMAO

In the future I will drive on the motorway also only the left lane with 300 kmh, then I have all idiots behind me which overtake me otherwise constantly at speed 240. So I should be on the safe side and not so much can happen to me anymore. :efee612b4b:

Thank you @buell47 for saying out loud what I was thinking. :efee612b4b:
Just be sure not to overlean it to 310kmh so keep a close eye on your pebble watch and listen for the beeps.
I set my tiltback at 295 kmh but it is slow and gradual so I can still ride it at 300 kmh I just need a bit more intent.

Talking about safety for two years and now swimming with sharks.
@eddiemoy you were worried about overleaning an 84v Gotway with no tilt back. What's the plan for the 100v?
Did your needs change or did the Nikola create the need?

• Like 2

Took the side pads off nikola, now there is this mess on the shell.  Used a lot of rubbing alcohol and still no luck.  Not so shiny anymore...just sticky and messy.

6E1C2D85-4FC4-4962-9D07-AFC39ACDC052.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Just be sure not to overlean it to 310kmh so keep a close eye on your pebble watch and listen for the beeps.
I set my tiltback at 295 kmh but it is slow and gradual so I can still ride it at 300 kmh I just need a bit more intent.

@eddiemoy you were worried about overleaning an 84v Gotway with no tilt back. What's the plan for the 100v?

My needs changed, I out grew the 31mph limit on the KS.  Nik+ with its significant headroom to 40mph, i feel better that i'm not going to faceplant with a cut out.  they've upgraded their electronics with much better components so my fear is much less now.  we all know we will never put our wheels through the same thing that marty does, under normal riding the wheel will be fine. 

I tried with the MSX, but didn't like it enough to stick with it.  the Nik+ is more my size and style of riding while still retaining most of the stability of the larger 18" wheels.  I like the torque more as it is more responsive than the MSX/18XL.  Also more agile because of the smaller diameter wheel.  

I still have the KS wheels.  One I still keep in the car for last mile.  I like the size and weight and I don't need the speed in that use case.  This is the first GW wheel I'm keeping.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, buell47 said:

4 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I don't get it :confused1:

You guys want @eddiemoy to give up riding EUC to anywhere practical in his own town? Because to get to even the local market of your own town in suburbia America, you're going to have to ride on at least one local road where cars go 35mph+, one lane only, and there is gauranteed to be no bike lane or substantial shoulder.

You're basically telling him to just ride his EUC as just a toy.

Or ride his 31mph capped wheel congesting car traffic.

We do not have the luxuries of European well designed, well regulated bike lanes, etc, America is too big and too car-centric.

• Like 1

photorph:  paint thinner will surely remove that sticky thin surface
(please test it first on small area under pedal to see reaction with plastic cover)

you could try with WD40 as well...

Edited by Meserias

16 minutes ago, Meserias said:

paint thinner

Don't do that. :shock2:

Only use this kind of cleaner, or you destroy it totally. 

Afterwards you can polish it with a good fine anti-hologram car polish to get a high gloss again. 

https://www.amazon.de/Koch-Chemie-Orange-Power/dp/B01BQIC0WA

Orange Power Adhesive, tree resin and rubber remover The fast-acting, slowly evaporating special product based on natural orange extracts. Removes adhesive residues, e.g. when lettering vehicles. Rubber and resin residues, ink stains, oils, fats, tar and chewing gum etc. can also be easily removed from solvent-resistant substrates such as paints, glass, ceramics, metal, etc. Contains no halogenated hydrocarbons and is pleasant to work with thanks to its fresh orange scent.

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

buell47: he must test it in a small area....
that plastic could be more resistant to solvents

WD40 could also work

(already said: that's why he must test it under the pedals or in a small area ....
please don't take my words out of the context)

1 hour ago, photorph said:

Took the side pads off nikola, now there is this mess on the shell.  Used a lot of rubbing alcohol and still no luck.  Not so shiny anymore...just sticky and messy.

Goo Gone, fast becoming the industry standard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IBNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_kXom6DlhG1uYA

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Meserias said:

WD40 could also work

I took my pads off too, what a difference, it’s like the mcm5 on steroids . 

Absolutely use wd40, works perfectly!

• Like 1