Monster V3 vs Kingsong 18XL

erk1024

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Something I noticed is that if you turn on the wheel and it's not level, it won't slowly correct like on the 18XL. Instead, you have to rotate the shell manually. As soon as it's level, it will lock on to that orientation, and you're good to go.

That's odd... my Monster V2 does slowly correct when I turn it on off-level, it's just so slow I almost don't notice it (much slower than my MSuper V3S+ and Ninebot One E+). I hope Gotway didn't remove that behavior for some reason...

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

the Monster tire max pressure is 32 psi though? 

32?!?!   Hahaha I guess I've been doing it wrong then... I always ride mine at about 40 psi. Always. I weigh about 160 lbs and it's never been a problem for me.

13 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

That's odd... my Monster V2 does slowly correct when I turn it on off-level, it's just so slow I almost don't notice it

Maybe it was so slow, I didn't think it was happening. I'll try it again.

18 hours ago, Arbolest said:

That's odd... my Monster V2 does slowly correct when I turn it on off-level, it's just so slow I almost don't notice it (much slower than my MSuper V3S+ and Ninebot One E+). I hope Gotway didn't remove that behavior for some reason...

I messed around with this last night and this is what I think is happening.

On the 18XL, when you turn it on and it's not level, it goes into full-on self balancing mode with the current orientation. Then it slowly changes to the correct orientation.

On the Monster, it DOESN'T go into full self-balancing, instead it puts a little bit of power towards pushing towards the correct orientation. This works if it's close to the right orientation, like if it's resting up against something and almost level. But if it's too far off, then the back heavy nature of the shell makes the shell want to rotate backwards, and that overpowers the small amount of power the wheel is using to try to get to level.

The result is that on the Monster, it makes more sense to just level it yourself with the handle, and once it gets there, it "locks" onto that orientation and goes to full self-balancing power.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Great that the Monster handled the stairs fine, but I have trouble understanding how one can ride into stairs or any other obstacle of notable magnitude without having the time to stop. Maybe I just ride with that much different of an attitude.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I have trouble understanding how one can ride into stairs or any other obstacle of notable magnitude without having the time to stop.

For some reason, at night, for me at least, it can be hard to see a lip to a shallow drop off. Maybe it's because all the light is coming from my headlamp's direction, so I'm losing some visual cue's? 

19 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Great that the Monster handled the stairs fine, but I have trouble understanding how one can ride into stairs or any other obstacle of notable magnitude without having the time to stop. Maybe I just ride with that much different of an attitude.

hahaha. Can you imagine if @erk1024 came upon like 20 stairs and couldn’t stop. Once you go over the edge you have no choice but to commit or it’s all over. 

Sometimes we accidentally face our fears; now @erk1024 you know you can go down at least 3 stairs with no problems!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

hahaha. Can you imagine if @erk1024 came upon like 20 stairs and couldn’t stop.

That’s exactly what I couldn’t shake from my mind when I replied... :cry2:

Followed by an image of a character from Ren & Stimpy bouncing up and down on the Monster and holding to the handle with both hands for dear life, mouth wide open and screaming...

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

I think in general, riding at night is a little on the perilous side. I should probably ride a route in the day first. A headlight or headlamp only has so much range, and there is only so much light. In any case, I should not outrun my headlamp...

If there was a big pit coming up, I would have seen it, but when it's just a low dropoff, hard to see for some reason, and I think it's because of the direction of the light. Have to think about that one.

Edited by erk1024