LAPD NEW TASK FORCE

chroma

I read about this http://lapdonline.org/home/news_view/65818 , apparently the LAPD  (Los Angeles Police Department) has created this new task force to "crack down" on illegal e-scooter riding, but it concerns me a bit. I ride an electric unicycle,  however, what is there to prevent the LAPD from stopping you since I doubt that they truly know the difference between a e-scooter and a electric unicycle? They see  motor driven device and think they are the same.   I own an e-bike, I know the different  classes, where they are allowed, what type of motor is allowed, as well as other requirements minimum age to ride and the exception such as  registration, drivers permit, insurance and so on. I feel that this is the beginning of the end, that this will give LAPD and other law enforcement agencies an excuse to stop and ticket EUC , electric skateboard, and onewheel  riders based on the regulations that exist for e-scooters. Do any of you feel the same way about this new task force?

• Upvote 1

Look up the California vehicle code definition of "electrically motorized board". eScooters, EUCs, onewheels and eSkates all fit that definition for a given motor/speed/floorboard size.

If that task force stops you on a EUC you can be pretty sure they know you're riding an electrically motorized board and all the relevant vehicle codes.

• Like 1

The new unit especially named E-Scooter Enforcement Task Force so they regulates those E-Scooters.

As @Elder Meat said, EUC (of certain speed limit and motor power) are categorized as "electrically motorized board" and California Vehicle Code distinctively differentiate electrically motorized board from e-scooter, regular skateboard, and mopeds.

Please know your rights and limitations

Read moar:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/14067-californias-law-for-electric-unicycle/

From the LAPD website link you posted, it looks like you should be fine to ride as long as it's not the sidewalk. Seems like they are just "cracking down" on scooter riders riding on the sidewalk. Along the streets and bike lanes is completely fine no matter what you are riding.

Now if you want to try to ride on the sidewalk, then you'll going to have to convince them that it's not a scooter but something else that is lawfully allowed to be on the sidewalk like an EPAMD or ADA compliant device.

3 hours ago, Kens said:

The new unit especially named E-Scooter Enforcement Task Force so they regulates those E-Scooters.

As @Elder Meat said, EUC (of certain speed limit and motor power) are categorized as "electrically motorized board" and California Vehicle Code distinctively differentiate electrically motorized board from e-scooter, regular skateboard, and mopeds.

Please know your rights and limitations

Read moar:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/14067-californias-law-for-electric-unicycle/

I have read them, but it is not specific to us like the regulations for ebikes and escooters. I do ride with a ton of caution, avoid sidewalks as much as I can, the only time I do go on them is when I have to click on the button for the light to turn green otherwise nothing. The grey area of the law is what bothers me, it leaves a lot of wiggle room for misinterpretation from both sides -fighting an infraction will not be fun. I know I keep on saying this but we need strong lobbyist like the ones e-bikes has because the last thing we need is a  government registry system similar to those for the UAS (drones).

Here's the specific regulations from that lapd website.

California Vehicle Code (CVC) laws as it pertains to E-Scooter violations:
-No Riding on the sidewalk
-Only one rider per scooter, NO PASSENGERS
-Scooter shall be operated in the bicycle lane when speed limit is at least 25 MPH
-Headlamp at night
-Leaving a scooter in a position on a sidewalk that prevents adequate space for pedestrians
-Valid driver's license or instruction permit required to operate an E-Scooter

Every scooter rider is asking the same question.

"Should I ride on the sidewalk and maybe injure a pedestrian, or should I be on the road and get killed by a driver?"

Just ask yourself who is more dangerous...a driver texting on his cell phone or a pedestrian texting. 

The lapd is stupid in the sense that the guy dumping industrial waste into the lake is stupid; private car ownership in LA has skyrocketed, and therefore driving a scooter on the road makes it likely you're going to be squished by an indifferent driver.

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Here's the specific regulations from that lapd website.

California Vehicle Code (CVC) laws as it pertains to E-Scooter violations:
-No Riding on the sidewalk
-Only one rider per scooter, NO PASSENGERS
-Scooter shall be operated in the bicycle lane when speed limit is at least 25 MPH
-Headlamp at night
-Leaving a scooter in a position on a sidewalk that prevents adequate space for pedestrians
-Valid driver's license or instruction permit required to operate an E-Scooter

Every scooter rider is asking the same question.

"Should I ride on the sidewalk and maybe injure a pedestrian, or should I be on the road and get killed by a driver?"

Just ask yourself who is more dangerous...a driver texting on his cell phone or a pedestrian texting. 

The lapd is stupid in the sense that the guy dumping industrial waste into the lake is stupid; private car ownership in LA has skyrocketed, and therefore driving a scooter on the road makes it likely you're going to be squished by an indifferent driver.

You are preaching to the choir here. Like what @chroma said, without a big group and lobbyist our scream will not be heard by law makers. They will only heard one side which usually the complaining side.. I hope PEVRA @who_the will eventually get big enough to lobby for us :innocent1:

• 3 weeks later...

I was once pulled over by a motorcycle cop on a downtown street. For crossing with the pedestrian signal instead of traffic (bike lane) signal. He told me if I'm going to use the streets I have to obey their laws. Couldn't really argue with him.

• Like 1