Nikola 100V Plus review/wheelog/journal 🦓

chrisjunlee

Interesting read.  I've been riding EUCs since beginning of this year, have went through a few.  I currently have MSX 100v and nikola +.  I miss the inmotions now, and am yearning for something smaller/lighter.  The gotways ride amazing and have killer performance, but they don't fit into your life as good as something like an inmotion v8 or a kingsong 16s would.  

I'm once again looking for a smaller/lighter wheel to get that isn't gotway, because I need it to integrate into my life well.  I need to have a seamless transition for when I ride to work rather than dealing with worst trolley ever (MSX) or the nikola's strange looking trolley with the very loud on/off beep.  I can't get the Mten3 because it doesn't have a trolley.  

Another thing I've found about the Nikola plus and the MSX are the fans...they just turn on for me even without riding and they are loud.  Oh and the stickers on my nikola....well they just peeled off, even the GW logo is starting to come off.  For a $2500 wheel...I'd expect a bit better.

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Sorry for the OT, but @photorph if you want something that's convenient to use and more powerful than an Inmotion V8 I would look at KingSong. They have by far the best trolley handles.

Yea I know, and that's my point.  KS and the v8 have much better trolley handles that integrate well with everything else you do.  And I do miss that.  But performance and ride quality is what's best on Gotway.  With my msx and nikola + I got all the performance I need.  I sold off my other lighter wheels with better trolleys, but now I want one of them back haha.  

8 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

At this point it's too early to tell, since I believe it takes at least 250 miles to fairly appreciate a wheel. 

I have 650 miles on the 16X, while only 80 miles on the Nikola+ 100V.

However, it's 100% clear the performance aspects of the Nikola are a clear step above the 16X. They're not in the same league IMHO.

Everything else though, the 16X excels at.

The 16X, even with the stock tire is nimbler and feels much smaller, due to the higher pedal clearance and lower overall height. The finer quality of life details are thought out and polished on the 16X: lighting, padding, front light, dual charge port, wall leans easily, motor kill mechanism is so much better, trolley handle feels way better to grab while getting off, and so on. 

I've been trying to think of an analogy that everyone can understand, and this is the best I could come up with: vacuums cleaners

• Nikola 100V is a shop vac - it has enough suction to implode a 5 gallon bucket, yet the usability of it is clunky. You have an unwieldy 10 ft long rigid hose, attachments are rough and friction fit. But that sweet suction can suck up metal bolts or a duck 🦆.
  • 16X: is a Dyson cordless. The suction is maybe 1/3, but it's enough. Dyson's shine in usability. Attachments are well thought out - and the dyson detach mechanism is a pleasure to use. Emptying it out is a one button press. The charging cradle hangs on a wall, within easy access. There's so little friction in using the dyson.

I reach for my Dyson 99% of the time since it's that much more pleasant to use. But, there's a time and place when I need the suction of a shop vac.

I yearn for a 16X that could go 40 mph.

My rule of thumb is you want to be able to go 15 mph above the speed limit - since that's fast speeding cars go. That means the 16X is limited to 15 mph roads for me - which is non-existent.

Thank you for the detailed response

14 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

== Day 2 Extra ==

Derp moment: I came to a stop, reached down to pull the handle out. And it just wouldn't budge, it was firmly locked into place.

Weird. 

Turns out this is what I was pulling on:

jpg.thumb.JPG.9de1def444b214da3121d9533c9b1df0.JPG

This makes me appreciate the 16X's trolley - it's error proof and placed perfectly for you to grab onto as you stop.

In Sweden we call it idiot proof. :efee612b4b:

• Upvote 2

Just now, chrisjunlee said:

I was thinking of using motorcycle pads or neoprene pads. But for now, I guess I'll peel them off, slice and re-attach them!

They get a bit butchered though as you can see in the clip. One of my friends used a knife. I don't know how Tobbe (my friend in the clip) did it.
Motorcycle tank pads seem like a nice option and would probably provide great grip as well.
I can't grip the 16X so I just slide around on the sides and mostly end up not touching them even. Works for me and I enjoy the feel.
The Nikola locked me in quite well and the MSX locks me in even better.
Different wheels for different feels though.

14 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I can't grip the 16X so I just slide around on the sides and mostly end up not touching them even. Works for me and I enjoy the feel.

Since I'm using a staggered asymmetrical stance, I find that works wonderfully for gripping the 16X.

Right rear knee: locks in diagonally into rear right side. 

Left front knee: either rides outward and loose, or turns inward, applying diagonal inward pressure to front edge, close to the headlight.

Sounds bizarre, but it fits perfectly for my legs. I feel as secure and at home as this innocent dove

Magical Sempai GIF

Meanwhile on the Nikola 

Image result for slippery anime gif

Edited by chrisjunlee
🕊️
  • Like 3

== Day 3 - Fri 8/23/2019 ==
I need to live out of airbnb's for a bit. I packed a 30 lb windsail black duffel bag on my back, bumped the pressure to 35 PSI, and precariously rolled 30 exhausting miles - in the dark. For you 200 lb folks, the equivalent would be a 50 lb bag! 

My god that was tiring. 

Halfway through the ride, I realize the duffle bag is so tall, it's completely covering my helmet, making my red blinkie useless. From the perspective of drivers on the road behind me, I was a long black potato flying around.

The Nikola handled it well - it felt so good going 25+ mph, knowing I was well within the limits of the motor.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

== Day 4.1 - Sat 8/24/2019 ==

I guess today marks the 2 month anniversary since I hopped on my first EUC! 🥳🥳

Took the Nikola out at 35 PSI, and 5 wobbly miles later, dropped it back to 28 PSI. 

I also figured out why the Nikola felt like this: 

Image result for slippery anime gif

It was due to my wheel being calibrated with a forward droop - only figured that out after I accidentally got on backwards and it felt like I had strong tilt back.

Regarding the Gotway Thicc™ Pads, @Mike Sacristansuggested I shave them down, and he cautioned me to not botch it up. 

Psh, how hard could it be?

23187192a8d8b7c5594bc3679688cd4a.thumb.jpg.989ed2aedfcd597bc664ad9063b95577.jpg

Before:

Capture.thumb.JPG.885fcd443c35d6f1acc88622fd8e5ea3.JPG

After:

9b2.gif.a6285088dd290099ecb56459be8e8085.gif

I botched it up so hard, had to throw everything away.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 1