Where I am awesome place to learn? (NJ/NYC)

Sounds like you ordered a fast wheel. Do you need an airstrip or what? :D

Parking lots? Parks? Wherever it isn't busy should be ok no?

For the first few days you need very little space. A handrail wouldn't be bad. Flat ground wouldn't be bad either.

If your wheel weighs a ton expect it to take longer to learn. Take it easy. You can't rush the strengthening of necessary muscles you need to ride comfortably.

15 hours ago, interpreterdotcourt said:

I am getting my first wheel soon and welcome suggestions as to ideal learning spots free of people , ideal surface for expected falls.

At first - Tidy up the house and sail back and forth between the fridge and the tv.  After that, the best place in Jersey City would be the Holy Name Cemetery.  Or, maybe, Lincoln Park?

At Roll.nz we offer free training for our (potential) customers. And there is one place that has proved the best of all...

Outside of our local stadium, there is an almost 1 km concourse... Unless there is an event on at the stadium it is almost always deserted. But more importantly it is paved smoothly with no "dangers" and has a fence along each side (ensuring that a rogue wheel won't get away) and there is a fairly high hand-rail along that fence - making it ideal to use while learning ride, as you can ride for hundreds of meters with support... until you realise that you don't need that support any further.

TLDR... Find  somewhere flat and smooth, with a good high handrail, so that you can move a decent distance while focussing on riding and not worrying about needing to stop too soon.

I stuck to riding along chain-link fence until I got the hang of it. That was after trying on my own and then watching 10hrs of videos on EUC riding lol.

6months later I love this machine and I am going everywhere on my V8 and my next/bigger wheel (KS 16x) is being delivered today. :)