Votes on Fox Helmet choice

Hi all

Looking for some consensus, voting, opinions from experience on which to choose. Looking at a choice of 2 FOX helmets, one being the Pro-frame (which I can see from researching that a few forum members currently use),

https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/fox-proframe-mips-helmet

but aslo considering the 2020 V3 (being the Motocross version). 

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Fox-2020-V3-Matte-Black-Carbon-Helmet/FO23656119-c

For the sake of this I'm ignoring the price differential, I don't really care what it costs as long as I end up with the best balance of safety and a helmet I can live with wearing. 

I have never put a motorbike or motocross helmet on my head in my life, so I guess that is why the request for advice. I aslo can't find out what the weight differential is on these helmets, does anyone know roughly?

Thanks in advance for the 2 cents worth :thumbup:

If overall size is a concern the Troy Lee Design helmet is smaller in profile. I had the Fox ProFrame but ended up returning it due to the overall size. I also have the POC Coron carbon fiber helmet. The one nice thing about the Fox ProFrame is that the head opening is big so easier to get helmet on and off. Same can't be said for the POC Coron or Troy Lee. They are tight. However, they feels more secured once on. 

I like my Proframe, except for one constant issue.  The padding along the brow tends to shift, meaning I get a hard plastic edge sitting on my forehead instead of the cushion.  It just doesn't stick to the tiny velcro dot they are using to hold it in place.  I think I'm going to mod it and put a long velcro strip on there instead.

IMG_2605.jpg

I have a pro frame and love it for summer months. I went with bright orange for visibility. In my experience, it is not as Comfortable as most motorcycle helmets in terms of the cushions, but man is it breezy during the hot weather. Very nice. The visibility couldnt be better for full face, and it's way lighter than a motorcycle full face. 

I'm looking for another helmet for the winter (Seattle), because I know I'll freeze my face off in this. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

One down vote on the Fox Pro-frame from me. Could not get a good snug fit for my head. Bought a Bell Super DH instead as it comes with that ratchet dial at the base of the back of the helmet.

Recon you get to a store and try some on before you buy.

I can see why that would be helpful. My wife's proframe seems to not fit perfectly but she doesn't complain. Maybe I got lucky with mine. 

Have you worn the super DH in cold weather? If so, how warm was it? I see it has the air vents, but perhaps not as much as the pro frame. 

Edited by Oh Dyr

5 hours ago, Oh Dyr said:

Have you worn the super DH in cold weather? If so, how warm was it? I see it has the air vents, but perhaps not as much as the pro frame. 

Let's be real - these types of helmets are not designed for warmth. :D

If the temperature outside is 6 oC / 42 oF or lower, I'm reaching for my motorcyclist's windproof balaclava to wear as an extra thermal liner during my work commute.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

If the temperature outside is 6 oC / 42 oF or lower, I'm reaching for my motorcyclist's windproof balaclava to wear as an extra thermal liner during my work commute.

Harden up already... Anything above 3oC is tee-shirt weather!!!

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, Mitch said:

For the sake of this I'm ignoring the price differential, I don't really care what it costs as long as I end up with the best balance of safety and a helmet I can live with wearing. 

If you really just care about the best balance of just safety and [editorializing: style] "live with wearing" I'd say get the expensive one - most people here are going to have cost weigh in as a bigger factor when it comes to these kinds of things - so you're going to get a lot more leaning towards the cheaper of the two (and fewer people able to comment to the quality of the more expensive).  If you're really in a position where the cost is no issue, then in some ways by reviewing it for us you're also doing us a favor.

I personally have the pro frame and like it enough that I'm not looking for another helmet (I have a motorcycle helmet for winter/colder riding as well).

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have both a Bell Super 3R and just recently got a Fox ProFrame.  My biggest priority was protection and as much as air as possible for the summer.  I use them mainly for my commute on my Dualtron Spider Scooter.  At the end of the day, I never removed the chin guard since there wasn't much difference to me in terms of staying cool.  

The ProFrame to me, fits more like a Motorcycle helmet style versus the Super 3R.  I LOVE the FIDLOCK system on the buckles.  It fits me fine.  I did have to adjust the padding so that the plastic part wouldn't dig into my forehead.  I don't have any discomfort on my forehead.  I considered the TLD Stage, but the colors weren't bright enough for me.

As for the colder days. I just use an UnderArmour Balaclava.  It's thin enough to fit under my helmet and keeps me warm in the winter, especially in the morning.

I really wish I had that buckle system on my other helmet.  It's so quick and easy, which is great when I get to the office and want to take the helmet off either waiting for the elevator, or else during the elevator ride itself.  It's easy even when wearing gloves. 

3 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

Motocross proframe $750 and I bet that's US$

🤣😂🤣

Just catch my breathe 

🤣😂🤣🤣😂

:confused1::confused1::confused1:

Are you talking about my Proframe helmet?

https://www.foxracing.com/mtb/mens/helmets/proframe/

This is a MTB full face helmet.  Retail is $250 US and I paid under $200 for mine. 

Edited by EvoKnvl
Missed Quote

21 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

I did have to adjust the padding so that the plastic part wouldn't dig into my forehead.

I added a small piece of velcro tape in the direct middle the two current "middle" velcro spots to prevent that piece of padding from moving at my forehead.

• Like 2

I’m actually now thinking the middle ground. Fox make a carbon Helmet called Rampage which is not motocross, but is a full on DH helmet. 

https://www.foxracing.com/rampage-pro-carbon-matte-helmet/22121.html?dwvar_22121_size=S&dwvar_22121_color=255&cgid=mtb-mens-helmets-rampage#start=1

hopefully a good middle ground, being a bit more solid than a proframe but lighter than a motocross helmet 

Just now, Mitch said:

I’m actually now thinking the middle ground. Fox make a carbon Helmet called Rampage which is not motocross, but is a full on DH helmet. 

https://www.foxracing.com/rampage-pro-carbon-matte-helmet/22121.html?dwvar_22121_size=S&dwvar_22121_color=255&cgid=mtb-mens-helmets-rampage#start=1

hopefully a good middle ground, being a bit more solid than a proframe but lighter than a motocross helmet 

So what wheel are you riding, MSX i see

Are you a hard core speedster

Mad off road riding dancer/chancer

Still seems like a lot of money for a skid lid

Bearing mind 1 good hit and its time to buy a new one,helmet that is 

I have had many crashes, 3 of which i would call significant  and only just buying now a 2019 A$250 Proframe 

well If yr ever in in Darwin look us up 

Gaz