Gotway Nikola Annoying bluetooth sound

On 8/25/2019 at 1:33 AM, redfoxdude said:

Good news! :clap3: I successfully disabled the startup sound by writing a modified configuration file to the Bluetooth module! The sound was indeed on the module itself - two audio tones: "4 Note Rising Scale" and "V Long High" (the worst part.) There are actually a lot of preset tones to choose from, and you can define your own (in terms of notes and durations.) I haven't looked into whether or not there is enough room on the Bluetooth chip or the EEPROM chip to fit a short audio file.

I also renamed the module to "redfoxdude's Nikola," though I almost called it "Rolling Boombox!" Hah. 

On a more technical note, using an FTDI breakout board along with a level shifter was more work than I was thinking, haha. I ended up stealing the 1.8V voltage regulator off of another board I had laying around - the 1.8V logic reference has to come from somewhere! I would definitely recommend buying one of the dedicated USB SPI programmers for this. A 2mm pitch connector I put together from scraps at my work was also really helpful, so I didn't need to solder wires directly to the module. Also, I only found older versions of the development tools from 3rd parties, rather than from Qualcomm. And the graphical tool that helps a lot with changing the audio tone settings was in yet another place. lol. Anyway, it's fairly straight forward once you have everything in place. I'll probably whip up a step-by-step guide later, but it's late, so I'm gonna sleep! :sleep1:

Love this. Unfortunately, I suspect that "it's fairly straight forward once you have everything in place" means that this will not be possible for 98% of the owners out there.

• Like 3

Hello guys,

Another idea for those of you who own recent gotways (Monster V3, Tesla V1, Nikola)

A simple modification made on my friends Nikola : just put a on/off switch between the bluetooth module and it's power supply, fix the switch somewhere accessible (my friend has put it on the side of the handle but it can't be easily seen).
It's very convenient, cost nothing, doesn't require to be an expert at soldering or programming.
You still get the bluetooth sound when you turn on the module, but not anymore when you turn the Nikola on :)

Edited by Pingouin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

Hello guys,

Another idea for those of you who own recent gotways (Monster V3, Tesla V1, Nikola)

A simple modification made on my friends Nikola : just put a on/off switch between the bluetooth module and it's power supply, fix the switch somewhere accessible (my friend has put it on the side of the handle but it can't be easily seen).
It's very convenient, cost nothing, doesn't require to be an expert at soldering or programming.
You still get the bluetooth sound when you turn on the module, but not anymore when you turn the Nikola on :)

I've gotten over the startup sound. It's annoying but not really worth spending any further effort trying to stop. I don't find myself ever turning the wheel on in a doctors office or library :)

14 hours ago, Pingouin said:

just put a on/off switch between the bluetooth module and it's power supply,

I would’ve put the switch between the speaker cables. That way the sound would not play at all when turning the switch on.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, Marty Backe said:

Love this. Unfortunately, I suspect that "it's fairly straight forward once you have everything in place" means that this will not be possible for 98% of the owners out there.

Yeah, I think that setting up the dev tools and navigating their horrible interfaces would be pretty daunting for most people. A switch or 555 timer controlled relay would be much easier, for sure.

Though, I've been curious if the ~$11 modules on eBay would work as drop in replacements, especially since I'm kinda worried I'm going to brick mine trying to get converted audio stored onto EEPROM chip for a cool startup sound, ha! I haven't had any luck getting that to work, and unfortunately the documentation for the tools is really vague. For now, I made a custom startup tone with the user defined tones options, but I look forward to playing around with this once I get back home from my work travels.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Adel said:

Has anyone successfully installed and used a relay to get rid of the startup sound, is there video/instructions anywhere? @Marty Backe, @mrelwood would something like this work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY39R5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I"ve adapted to the startup sound and therefore haven't pursued any other options.

7 hours ago, Adel said:

That is quite large and would require a constant 5VDC input. I would use this instead:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-12V-NE555-0-25s-Timer-Delay-Relay-Switch-Module-Adjustable-On-Off-for-Car-/252456160636

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, michmuch said:

Anyone has ever tried the timer relay mod on his wheel ? Possible to have some link for used parts and picture or video of the mod please ?

Dude, four posts up! :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Dude, four posts up! :rolleyes:

Oops... How could I mis it !?... :efeec46606::whistling::efee612b4b:

Thanks, it's perfect ! :thumbup:

About the ebay link, it go to a multiple choice item, I guess from your picture the right one is the "DC 5V Delay Turn on Module" version, right ?

4 hours ago, michmuch said:

Oops... How could I mis it !?... :efeec46606::whistling::efee612b4b:

Thanks, it's perfect ! :thumbup:

About the ebay link, it go to a multiple choice item, I guess from your picture the right one is the "DC 5V Delay Turn on Module" version, right ?

Yes, that’s the one!

• 2 months later...