London EUC'ing

rinzler

Hey all,

One for the London riders on here. I got a bit of a firm but advisory word today from Police in an unmarked van (they were right behind me!). My first commute to work (very slowly due to only having 30 miles experience and the sheer volume of people around Bank). It made me feel uncomfortable enough to more or less walk it home.

I think I've decided to hang back on ewheeling for now as it just seems to much in the firing line at the moment. I was wondering what other London EUC riders have experienced and approach based on the current climate of PEVs being tagged as dangerous.

I feel like EUC riders are more likely to get stopped since we're even more of a minority compared to the mass of Mijia riders (i.e. too hard to stop them without another rider going passed).

Back to my escooter it is (small wheels, super stealth, pavement use without hassle).

Just seen @Afeez Kay news on the Tesla slim. So tempted to sell on my current Tesla, wait for the bureaucrats to make their minds up on PEVs then buy the sim (assuming PEVs are allowed in the UK/London).

I like to imagine the scenario where up to this point everyone was riding bikes, walking, and using PEV's on the roads and then all the sudden someone shows up with a car on the road.  Because then at least it would make sense to ban the new thing, since cars are extremely dangerous, large, noisy, smelly machines that actually kill people and have no real speed or power limits other than your wallet.

Hi all,

After 4 years riding in London almost every day (inmotion v5f and ninebot Z10), I've got arrested for the first time yesterday because riding on a cycling lane.

The police even took my name and warned me next time I will be prosecuted.

And this morning (hopefully I was using my brompton instead of the Z10), police was again controlling the same cycling lane.

There is definitely a crackdown in London.

I don't know what to think about it, it will force me to cut down on EUC'ing. Quite disappointed about this new mentality to cut down anything remotely innovative.

1 hour ago, laGaliche said:

Yes sorry that's what I meant :) I'm not yet in jail.

Even better than a piece of paper, he actually made me scan a barcode with my phone to this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/powered-transporters/information-sheet-guidance-on-powered-transporters

At least no waste !

Same shit like here in Germany, we are all criminals that need to be fined and arrested. :laughbounce2:

If you were not issued a Section 59 then your details should not have been entered onto PNC and therefore if stopped again you shouldnt have any history of having been warned previously. If the police were to attempt to sieze your wheel on the 2nd occasion then I would challenge it, stating that you were unaware you had a Sec59, and if you did, then you want to know the unique serial number and see your signature on it. Most forces use both serials and sigs, although not sure about Met (or was it City police)?

The short version is that it seems like you got a result as potentially you now have a 'second chance'.

20 hours ago, Planemo said:

If you were not issued a Section 59 then your details should not have been entered onto PNC and therefore if stopped again you shouldnt have any history of having been warned previously. If the police were to attempt to sieze your wheel on the 2nd occasion then I would challenge it, stating that you were unaware you had a Sec59, and if you did, then you want to know the unique serial number and see your signature on it. Most forces use both serials and sigs, although not sure about Met (or was it City police)?

The short version is that it seems like you got a result as potentially you now have a 'second chance'.

He might have got a second chance but it's the feeling it gives you. Having always to be alert like a fugitive on the run. Makes the whole riding experience pretty crap.

Interesting about getting done being in the cycle lane. Whilst I wouldn't use it at rush hour it seems the safest place for us and pedestrians.

As Autumn/Winter approaches then it'll be worse riding conditions so I don't see myself using mine that much. £1500 paperweight!

Been using my kick scooter and whilst it's enjoyable on smooth surfaces it's just too much work on London pavements/roads. 

I'll give my electric scooter a go and see if I can wangle the kick assist angle. If I end up with an electric bike that would be silly since my whole plan was to not be on the road! (even with an EUC - it's the reason I've been learning low speed control rather than pushing my speed comfort).

A runner can get up to about 12mph so I figure if in a croweded environment I do that or less (likely around 6mph) then I should be allowed to be on the pavement.

I do genuinely understand the concern. Saw a dude take the junction at Monument on a NB1 in flip flops(!) the other day. With so many buses and cars and the 'blindness' to EUC riders I would not take that risk. I also get the risk of injury to anyone in the way of a EUC in which the rider has fallen off (even low speed). And now I find myself actually leaning toward the insurance and CBT style test dieas that would raise the standard and give me the reassurance of my right to be on the road/pavement.

It's all going wrong for PEVs in London!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, rinzler said:

He might have got a second chance but it's the feeling it gives you. Having always to be alert like a fugitive on the run.

As Autumn/Winter approaches then it'll be worse riding conditions so I don't see myself using mine that much. £1500 paperweight!

Tbh I feel like a fugitive every time I get on the wheel. I dont let it bother me too much but every police car or foot patrol I see makes me twitch cos any one of them could issue a Sec59, even a PCSO. I rode directly past a walking PCSO once, on the same bit of pavement, coming towards me. Didnt see him till it was too late to jump off. Thankfully he didnt stop me or say anything. Close call.

Yep I can see my wheel being inactive between November and end of February too. Just need to keep on top of the Zeds vampire drain.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw @Marty Backe video of the KS16X and it re-ignited my desire to use my EUC. I've not been on it ever since I got a telling off from the police. I realise I will never get good or comfortable with riding it if I don't practice. I was feeling nervous for Marty on his ascent to the top of his hill ride as he seemed so close to the edge - but then realised it's exactly because he's clocked up hundreds if not thousands of miles.

So back to my London EUC pals - where is a safe an enjoyable place to ride without hassle? I previously was practicing in the underground car park at my flat but the smooth concrete doesn't give enough real world experience to the reality of London's crappy roads and pavements.

On the subject of pavements - do any of you (UK) ride on the pavement?

• Like 1

I cant really help much re London riding tbh and with the greatest respect I couldnt think of anything worse, but in answer to your question re pavements yes my daughter and I ride from my house to the local park on the pavement, 90% of which is down the local high street. We ride very slowly, not much more than walking speed but theres no way I would feel safe putting her into the road on an euc when the slightest pot hole or rut could send her off course. Its nowhere near as risky on a bicycle and due to this I am happy for us to use the road if on bikes but eucs...no way.

I am sure there are parts of London which may be away from the risk of plod and would still give you the opportunity to ride on the pavement. Maybe night time rides would be better with less people about? At least until your skills are at a level where you might feel more confident in the road. I would say the big parks would be good but more and more people on PEVs seem to be getting turfed out of them in London. Whereabouts are you? I know the Greenway bike path is pretty good. And also the Olympic stadium is ok with pev's :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the wise words. I'm near Tower Bridge. My EUC was bought to be a commuter vehicle to work and to complement my e-scooter as a different type of experience. I get kind of envious of  the @Marty Backes and @NonStopNeals with miles and miles of open space (and hassle free) riding. That said I am still in the mind of wanting to use my EUC as a means of transport but enjoying getting from A to B. It could be so good to get from place to place in London. But this ain't NYC and I can imagine group rides would be stopped in a heartbeat (though, in my opinion they're a bit reckless - I'm a car drive so that hazard perception test skill is strong in me).

Anyway not to digress - I did consider the Olympic park - kind of need to ride their tho. Otherwise what's the point in an EUC that can put away the miles (can't even remember the range on the Tesla it's been so long). Agree re bikes vs EUC. Same reason I ride my e-scooter on the pavement (small 5"inch wheels and London roads do not mix!).

57 minutes ago, rinzler said:

Saw @Marty Backe video of the KS16X and it re-ignited my desire to use my EUC. I've not been on it ever since I got a telling off from the police. I realise I will never get good or comfortable with riding it if I don't practice. I was feeling nervous for Marty on his ascent to the top of his hill ride as he seemed so close to the edge - but then realised it's exactly because he's clocked up hundreds if not thousands of miles.

So back to my London EUC pals - where is a safe an enjoyable place to ride without hassle? I previously was practicing in the underground car park at my flat but the smooth concrete doesn't give enough real world experience to the reality of London's crappy roads and pavements.

You have a Tesla, a great wheel. I deserves to be ridden :thumbup:

I see a lot of people riding wheels in England. I guess it's only around London that it's difficult. Really too bad. I feel for all you guys.

But if there's a will, there's a way. Good luck finding your quiet place.

P.s. Yeah, don't worry about me falling off the edge. Like you say, I have a lot of miles under my feet (13,000+ miles).

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You have a Tesla, a great wheel. I deserves to be ridden :thumbup:

I've decided that even if it's only the car park then yes. I will ride again. (I think I got decent in this environment learning balancing points and turning circles because the smaller space does require a different type of riding). Appreciate the encouragement - it was actually your video that just reminded me the cruising feeling that EUCing provides (granted I'm still tense in the legs when I ride, but soon!)

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. Yeah, don't worry about me falling off the edge. Like you say, I have a lot of miles under my feet (13,000+ miles).

Damn! I figured it might be several thousand but 13,000! Lucky for eWheels/Gotway/Kingsong that they don't do the equivalent of air miles!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rinzler said:

Have you joined the emavrics whatapp group there's several riders on there and do London rides nearly everyday. I've been down a few times to ride with them and I'm from Yorkshire

They know allot of quieter places to ride away from police 

2 hours ago, rinzler said:

I ride on both depending which is busy

I always ride sensible around people though

• 5 months later...

hi to all,

i live in paris, nikname "LeBritish", if i've crossed your parth in paris or amsterdam.. 

and thinking of going to see family in london (st pancres to north greenwich), with a couple of days round london.. 

and up north, Birmingham,

any latest news riding a round the uk??? pavement/street/bikelanes? as in paris and aroud i ride all over..haha.

cheers to all and be safe ;)