Newbie! Looking to buy.

Posi Brandon

Hello all!

I'm Brandon, Live in New York, USA. 5'11"  150 pounds (69 kg or 10.7 stones) and a college student who lives 1.5 miles from campus or anywhere else of importance. I'm a quick learner but I am new to product and don't know differences yet.  The roads/sidewalks are hilly with alternative non-hilly routes. Some are very steep downhills (45 or more degrees downhill)!  I'm looking for one in the $550 to $950 range  (shipping including).  Adqueete power, speed, little annoyance (sounds), quiet smooth running, and agile for maneuvering around people.

My questions are:

1. Which is the best? 
     http://www.wheelgo.com/compare/ says IPS 111 [132] is a beast but it looks like a website trying to sell it, i don't know. There are so many brands, gotway, firewheel, ninebot, airwheel, etc..etc..etc...

2. What supplier do you suggest for your choice?

I will most likely have to ship it to USA.

3. Are there any assecories you guys suggest?

Additional chargers, batteries, spare tubes, etc.

Ok I would HEAVILY suggest the gotway 14 for you.  While it won't climb 45 degrees uphill, I *think* it might handle 45 degrees downhill.  If it doesn't, carry the wheel downhill instead. (well really get a trolley handle installed and roll it downhill)  The thing is, when you go downhill, it's charging the battery.  So DON'T go down a really steep and long hill on a totally charged battery or you could overcharge it. (applies to all brands as far as I know)  get at least the 340wh gotway 14.  (various battery packs available)   I've gone over 12 miles on mine in one day with plenty of juice to spare.  (takes a LONG time to work your way up to that long of riding.  it's like skiing for 12 miles.  your calves will hurt.)

Supplier:  Send a forums message to Kevin Lee on these forums.  he's a reputable seller out of hong kong, and speaks fluent english.  I bought my own gotway from him.  

accessories:  for the hills you have to deal with, get a trolley handle.  (it's an extendable handle like those you see on luggage that allows you to roll the wheel on the ground rather then carry it, if for some reason you can't ride it)  Also order a 100k potentiometer and wire it in so you have a volume knob to turn down the warning beeps for high speed.   Get these two things for any wheel you get. gotway or ips or rockwheel or whatever.

To mention other wheels.  Rockwheel geared versions (GR12 or GR16  not to be confused with GP12 and GP16)  will climb better, as would the high torque gotway 18. but these would probably-definately be outside your price range.  (uncertain on the rockwheels, quite certain on the gotway 18)  for the rockwheels try this site http://item.jd.com/1397454576.html  with shipping they might be more then your budget though.   Other problems with the geared rockwheels is they don't last as long as a part wears out in them.  My first wheel was a rockwheel GP12 (non geared) and it doesn't climb as well as my gotway 14.  The rockwheel gp12 is a solid wheel, but the battery capacity kind of sucks.  I don't know much about IPS but I've not heard of one that can outclimb the gotway 14.  (but then, I don't know much about IPS)

The thing is, the gotway brand has an android app that allows you to change settings, it gives you a speedometer and odometer on your phone, and lets your phone vibrate when you get going fast. (adjustable settings)  The speedometer and odometer are in Kilometers, not miles, and it's also overly inflated by 10%.  so if it claims you are going 22 kph its really 20. and if it claims you have gone 22 km you have only gone 20.  but the android app is fantastically useful.  rockwheel and IPS dont have this.

LOL!! Thats the same seller I bought my rockwheel from. The version I got is listed at $517 right now. 118wh.

I do love that rockwheel, and I can confirm that seller is reputable. I would still heavily recommend the gotway 14 instead.

LOL!! Thats the same seller I bought my rockwheel from. The version I got is listed at $517 right now. 118wh.

I do love that rockwheel, and I can confirm that seller is reputable. I would still heavily recommend the gotway 14 instead.

You do not have THAT "Rockwheel"  we all talking about. You have some sort of a clone of it!

I only write this, so other do not buy it and think they have THAT "Rockwheel" all talking about.

A Rockwell 12 inch is geared and has a price tag arround USD 850.- plus shipping!

If any like to buy THAT "Rockwheel" make sure it is comming from this factory: http://www.rockwheel.cn/

Rockwheel has a good performance in climbing.But if plus freight may be out of your budget.Because one piece is not available by shipping.Normally by air or international delivery.I hope you can find a EU suitable for you ~~Maybe you can see if local has someone sell EU,because the freight is very high.

When we created the comparison, the GW wasn't available here in the UK. We've limit tested (to failure) several different models including the RockWheel GP12, AW, Ninebot, Solowheel, IPS132 & IPS121. While the RW has a fantastically fast top-speed, during hard acceleration the power has a tendency to give out, & it didn't do very well in the hill-climb tests either. In the next couple weeks, we intend to test a GW14 as well. 

There's a case to be made for the larger 16" wheels, in that they offer better handling over uneven surfaces than the smaller diameter wheels. 

The 2 x IPS 132's have been great wheels for me so far but as everyone says they are a little slow, max I've managed from them is 16 kph but that is not comfortable with the pedal tilt back.

It is however extremely easy to dismantle and work on yourself, I have a feeling that when my Gotways arrive they will not be so simple with their internal case screws behind the control boards and batteries.

You do not have THAT "Rockwheel" we all talking about. You have some sort of a clone of it!

I only write this, so other do not buy it and think they have THAT "Rockwheel" all talking about.

A Rockwell 12 inch is geared and has a price tag arround USD 850.- plus shipping!

If any like to buy THAT "Rockwheel" make sure it is comming from this factory: http://www.rockwheel.cn/

Perhaps you simply choose not to read. I have REPEATEDLY referenced that one should not confuse the GR12 rockwheel and the GP12 versions as they are different models. yet you, somehow, are getting them confused.. this is very much a rockwheel. Despite your personal opinion otherwise.

Rockwheel makes both 12 inch geared like you own, and 12 inch non geared like I own.

The website you link to, IS the official rockwheel website. It's also poorly updated, as it ONLY shows the two geared models. the GR12 and GR16/ it does NOT show the newer, and cheaper, non geared versions. However, if at www.rockwheel.cn you click on the "online shop" link. it takes you to the taobao shop website, where rockwheel sells both the geared series, AND the non geared GP series. including the wheel I bought. (though I bought mine from a reseller on aliexpress)

Let's look at the facts.

Fact 1: other people have bought non geared rockwheels. arbee bought a rockwheel 14 (would be the GP14) as a quick link, he mentions it here

on the 4th post down.

Fact 2: the top of the non geared rockwheels looks different from the geared rockwheels, also confirmed indepentantly by arbee.

check the 5th post down here

Fact 3: many online sellers of rockwheels offer both the GP series, and the GR series. Sunny Chang posts the link to their shop here http://rockwheel.jd.com/ which sells both series. rockwheel's website links to them at the taobao shop, the aliexpress shop linked to earlier in this thread has both (though they won't ship the geared ones to the US for some reason. but here is a link to the geared version, as well as the ungeared version http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freeshipping-TO-HK-MACAO-2604W-POWER-SINGLE-wheel-electric-bicycle-scooter-12-tyre-can-run-30km/1478146_32248357904.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Freeshipping-SINGLE-wheel-electric-bicycle-scooter-12-tyre-can-run-15km-electric-single-wheel-118WH-self/1478146_32248309724.html

Fact 4: the GP12 ships with documentation that directly references the www.rockwheel.cn website over and over

http://s11.postimg.org/tkrbond6r/IMG_20150324_064930_2.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/w2hevqcfb/IMG_20150324_064951_1.jpg

http://s10.postimg.org/8go4zldqx/IMG_20150324_065011_1.jpg

Fact 5: your only reason for trying to claim that this ISN'T a rockwheel is your own opinion based on the fact that this model looks different from the model you own. You have not done any checking, you have not really done anything, except of course act rude.

You should double check your facts before you go insulting other people.

Just curious. Gotway, Rockwheel, IPS, Ninebot etc are all clones from Solowheel. It's funny some one making a clone out of another clone. Do they really have to make  clone out of Rockwheel? Is Rockwheel that desirable among all other fantastic clones?

........except of course act rude.

You should double check your facts before you go insulting other people.

I am very sorry, that I did not know Rockwheel now producing also non geared 12 and 16 inch.

So far I only know the GP14 as a non geared version.

Because there are clones! So, also not by name (what I know now), but by design incl. battery status scale.

Sometimes it is also a little bit hard for me to write in english (where I life, we speak ususally german.

I try to do my best and with what I know of the 999'999 EU brands and versions on the market.

So if you think I was rude to you, I like to apologize for it.

So if you think I was rude to you, I like to apologize for it.

No, I'm sorry. I definitely overreacted, and I was rude. I am sorry. I was taking offense where no offense was meant. (I am sick with what i found out is strep throat right now. So I am not myself at the moment.)

Archived