Nikola plus 100V initial impression

greentung

• 3 weeks later...

Update: With the newfound power and speed of the Nikola+ I have started to ride a portion of my commute with vehicle traffic. I don't think it's fair to ride a 30+mph EUC on the bike trail. I ride fast enough that the cars behind don't need to pass me. I hop back on the bike trail when the traffic starts to back up on the road. I reduce my speed below 22 mph when on the trail. 

I've taken the Nikola+ to Black Butte Ranch in central Oregon. Lots of great road and trails to ride on. It got enough power to push a four wheel bike with three adults on.  

The two negative of the Nikola+ still bothers me; startup sound and eye catching size. @chrisjunlee pointed out a few solutions to the startup sound problem. Perhaps that will be resolved soon. 

• Like 1

oh hi there #001

1 hour ago, greentung said:

Update: With the newfound power and speed of the Nikola+ I have started to ride a portion of my commute with vehicle traffic. I don't think it's fair to ride a 30+mph EUC on the bike trail. I ride fast enough that the cars behind don't need to pass me. I hop back on the bike trail when the traffic starts to back up on the road. I reduce my speed below 22 mph when on the trail. 

One thing I do differently on the Nikola: I find myself choosing the car route option on google maps :)

The size makes this a tank of a commuter to me. I just point and teleport across the 520.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greentung said:

I've taken the Nikola+ to Black Butte Ranch in central Oregon. Lots of great road and trails to ride on. It got enough power to push a four wheel bike with three adults on.  

The two negative of the Nikola+ still bothers me; startup sound and eye catching size. @chrisjunlee pointed out a few solutions to the startup sound problem. Perhaps that will be resolved soon. 

Any updates?  How do you like it the wheel so far?  Is it really fast?  How heavy are you and on what speed can you safely cruise?  When battery is 50%, can you still go as fast as you can?  Sorry for all those questions!  Many Thanks!

The Nikola+ is the best wheel I own. It does everything I need it to do as a short range car replacement; commute to work, errands, and occasionally carry a kid home from daycare. I am usually 170lbs in the morning when I go to work and a perhaps a pound or two more when I come home. I am big on lunch as the main meal of the day. The Nikola+ is fast enough to get me into trouble if I don't pay attention. I turn off all but the 3rd alarm. It's too easy to hit the 2nd alarm around 23mph. It is very stable at walking pace. I cruise 18-22mph on the bike trail and above 25mph when going with traffic. The Nikola+ has made me rethink safety gear. I am currently using bike gear; gloves, knee pad and bike helmet. But I am contemplating motorcycle jacket with built in shoulder, elbow, and back armor. I might have to start wearing full face helmet. 

I have not tested the Nikola+ speed below 50% battery. I think @chrisjunlee has ridden the Nikola+ extensively and can chime in its performance range versus battery. I rode it quite a bit over four days at Black Butte Ranch and did not recharge it once during the trip. I didn't notice any speed degradation. 

The size and weight is an issue. The other day I had to rethink getting a Jimmy John sandwich because that would mean carrying the Nikola+ up a flight of stairs. I got a gyro at a ground floor restaurant instead. 1st world problem. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, greentung said:

The Nikola+ is the best wheel I own. It does everything I need it to do as a short range car replacement; commute to work, errands, and occasionally carry a kid home from daycare. I am usually 170lbs in the morning when I go to work and a perhaps a pound or two more when I come home. I am big on lunch as the main meal of the day. The Nikola+ is fast enough to get me into trouble if I don't pay attention. I turn off all but the 3rd alarm. It's too easy to hit the 2nd alarm around 23mph. It is very stable at walking pace. I cruise 18-22mph on the bike trail and above 25mph when going with traffic. The Nikola+ has made me rethink safety gear. I am currently using bike gear; gloves, knee pad and bike helmet. But I am contemplating motorcycle jacket with built in shoulder, elbow, and back armor. I might have to start wearing full face helmet. 

I have not tested the Nikola+ speed below 50% battery. I think @chrisjunlee has ridden the Nikola+ extensively and can chime in its performance range versus battery. I rode it quite a bit over four days at Black Butte Ranch and did not recharge it once during the trip. I didn't notice any speed degradation. 

The size and weight is an issue. The other day I had to rethink getting a Jimmy John sandwich because that would mean carrying the Nikola+ up a flight of stairs. I got a gyro at a ground floor restaurant instead. 1st world problem. 

Thank you for your prompt reply!  Good to know that!  Best luck with the stairs lol