Arnold Pamplona

Some thoughts on transitioning from a V8 to an MCM5 as my commuter wheel

Posted (edited)

I read about this, and I knew this was going to be an issue, but the fact that the "GW" sticker keeps wanting to peel off is infuriating.  

1945714823_peelingsticker.thumb.jpg.f6554e5103d124dfdd841fc2daefb5e9.jpg

Edited by Arnold Pamplona
Fixed picture

I would recommend @greentung‘s neoprene mod. It makes it much grippier for wall leans as well! There’s a picture of it in my MCM5 wheelog.

@Arnold Pamplona, great write-up. Thanks!

I’ve been wondering about these wheels as commuters, especially the V8. I have a V5 and V10 but I think the sweet spot for commuting is the V8. I’m not inclined to by another wheel just yet, but I keep considering a V8 since I take the train,

It seems to me that commuting on a 14" wheel would be a little more uncomfortable... the larger 16" diameter would make the journey more comfortable, which I personally would prefer for a commute.

Posted (edited)

Inmotion needs to upgrade the V8 with higher capacity cells and a stronger motor. For me it's still the best commuter wheel on the market, but unfortunately the specs have fallen behind a lot. If they could do this and up the top speed to 25mph they would have a commuter winner again IMO. As you said the MCM5 is a lot better as a wheel but to haul it around or lean it against something it's a lot more annoying to use. The V10/V10F have become too big to replace the V8 as commuter if you need to take public transport IMO.

edit: you also don't require a huge battery if it's just to do a 10 mile round-trip from/to the station.

Edited by ir_fuel

19 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It seems to me that commuting on a 14" wheel would be a little more uncomfortable... the larger 16" diameter would make the journey more comfortable, which I personally would prefer for a commute.

That's the beauty of the MCM5!  It feels just as comfortable as the 16" V8.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:42 AM, chrisjunlee said:

I would recommend @greentung‘s neoprene mod. It makes it much grippier for wall leans as well! There’s a picture of it in my MCM5 wheelog.

I saw that.  I might have to try it!

2 hours ago, Arnold Pamplona said:

That's the beauty of the MCM5!  It feels just as comfortable as the 16" V8.

Based on that comment I'm guessing that you don't weigh in at 250+ lb?

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

:roflmao:

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I’m at 220. But at the rate I’m going lately, 250 is on the horizon. :D

Can’t really make a decision between these two as my commuter wheel at college. Want the extra speed and range of the MCM5 but don’t know if the extra weight and awkwardness of it will be too annoying when hauling it up stairs to classes on the 3rd floor or when taking it on busses, trains, etc. 

1 hour ago, Adam Finch said:

Can’t really make a decision between these two as my commuter wheel at college. Want the extra speed and range of the MCM5 but don’t know if the extra weight and awkwardness of it will be too annoying when hauling it up stairs to classes on the 3rd floor or when taking it on busses, trains, etc. 

If I had to choose one wheel for your situation, I would go with the V8. It’s substantially lighter than the MCM5 and easier to stow. 

On 8/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, Adam Finch said:

Have you considered the mten3? It’s an excellent wheel for campus riding. Gets around tight crowds easily and can slow to a crawl.