BBC: "E-Scooters [and other PEVs]: Should they be legal on public roads?"

Jon Stern

Not nice seeing riders being pulled over by cops in this video.

They always say the same thing about being able to be used on private property. Perhaps I've been living in the US too long, but that sounds classist to me. Rich people with estates get to do things that the proles don't.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-49322216/e-scooters-should-they-be-legal-on-public-roads

• Like 1

completely ridiculous.. oil prices soaring, roads getting more crowded, pollution rampant, and they try so hard to make the solution to most of these problems illegal or a nuisance... mind your own damn business who is it hurting, why is a bicycle absolutely fine no one bats an eye but if it has a small motor on it people go crazy?? and people on PEV's pay taxes as well and most likely also have a car/pay insurance... i especially like the one about them being illegal because they cant be insured, yet at the same time refusing to offer insurance on them ??? make up your damn minds, pisses me off... ANY vehicle electric or not should be allowed in bike lanes and where there are none, the side of the road.. everyone should be encouraged and lauded for unclogging streets and getting out of their gas guzzling cars, not frowned upon :angry: everything is all about greed and money

• Like 2

This is a fight I'm used to as someone who owned a Segway i2 for about a decade, constantly waiting for acceptance of it then finally selling it. In NYC, I still see the occasional Segway PT, but mainly smaller portable PEVs. It's common in Manhattan especially on nice days, and I have personally not yet seen a cop ticket anyone - mainly me as I have ridden/walked past cops on my PEVs who have ignored, smiled or asked me about them out of personal curiosity. *hoping not to jinx it*

The only time I've been stopped was by park patrol when I was practice riding my new e-scooter in the pedestrian section early one weekend morning. I'd always used that area and time to practice new e-rideables but this time my luck ran out. 

By the way, the smug look on the face of the bicyclists in this video when the e-scooter rider is pulled over is annoying given all of the bicyclists who speed through red traffic lights. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1