how to replace the tire

mark321

I've had my kingsong 14c 800w for a little while now and I can't figure out how to open it to replace the tire (or to access the speaker to make it beep more softly).  How do you open the unicycle up?

The manual has a section about changing the tire that says

"Unscrew all the screws on the body shell with cross screwdriver, 7 screws each side."  and  "There are 6 screws on each side under the treadles, unscrew the six hex socket screws on the opposite side of the charger slot".

That doesn't really match what I'm seeing.  I did unscrew all the screws I could find though (16 per side) and that hasn't gotten me anywhere yet. I'm afraid to put too much force on the plastic shell yet without being confident I'm doing this right.  Can somebody describe how to open it up and how much force I should expect to apply?  It may just be that I'm not pulling hard enough, but I don't want to break it by doing it wrong.  Thanks.

I just did it a week or 2 ago. I think the hang up roght now is that you didnt unscrew the little screws on the headlight and break light casing.  

For access ti the beeper you will need to unscrew 8 more screws located on the side panel - they are under the padding.  This is the side where the on off button is. By the way you may not have to open the case up for that, you may be able to access the beeper from the side panel.  To change the tire you will need to do even more than remove all those screws. If your tire is ok right now, i woukdnt unscrew it until you have to, but if you really want to i can tell you how

Thanks, that helps. So to get to the speaker I have to pull off the pad that seems kind of glued on? Is it sticky enough to re-stick it when done or do I need to glue it back when done?

I still kind of want to know how to get to the tire just so I know.  I'll have to replace it eventually.  I did unscrew the little screws on the headlight and break light and the two larger screws underneath there.  I really can't find any screws I've missed, and the plastic is successfully separated up to the top corner.  But the plastic that makes up the handle itself and the body along the top feels as tight as if I've missed a screw somewhere.  Anything I slide in there to pry the pieces apart has enough force on it it indents the plastic.

The screws under the pads are along the edge and you can get to them by just easing the pads back rather than removing the pads completely.

The shell won't come apart until you remove the control board that is across the top just under the handle and secured to both side cases by a screw in each corner, you could damage the board if you force the shells apart without unscrewing the board first.

The beeper is plugged into the board and can easily be unplugged for silent riding if you are happy to rely on the tilt back which seams fairly reliable.

I unscrewed all the screws I could see.  Are the corner screws hidden under the panel where the speaker is?

I did open the side panel so I could access the speaker and I successfully reduced its volume by putting a tiny screw into the speaker (I can't remember where I saw that trick, but it seemed to work).  I wasn't looking for more screws when I did that though.

I don't have any urgent need to replace the tire, but next time one of you guys happens to have yours taken apart if you could take a couple pictures that would help a lot.  Thanks.

Not sure from what you wrote if you were able to find all the screws that hold the side panel together. There are 8 of them two on top at corners, 2 at right and left edge half way down the panel and 4 at bottom edge of panel. Just separate the sticky padding at the corners and edges only where the screws are.

i was able to take the casing apart without removing the controls l panel but it wasnt easy. I just had to remive the beeper and the little chip that has the battery status on it. 

The handle wouldnt come apart at first either. I hope you removed the screws that hold the handle together. Its clicked really tight together, i guess you need to keep trying to pry it a bit with a screwdriver and separate.

Im going to replace my tire tube again today, i will try to take some pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Keen to understand what I will need to do if I get a puncture, and also because the touch buttons had stopped working leaving my lights permanently on. I read through this forum and the above repair guide before taking a screwdriver to my 14C 340Wh. It looks like removing the wheel should not be anywhere near as nauseous as the repair instructions suggest!

If the 4 big crosshead screws just above the footplates on both sides of the wheel are removed the whole assembly will drop down out of the case, however it will be prevented by the power and control cable to the motor as can be seen on page 13 of the above repair guide so be careful not to pull or damage that cable. I then removed the panel with the charger plug by gently lifting the padding just at the edges and removing the 8 screws shown in the top right picture on page 2. The multi wire cable coming up past the battery is the one that goes to the motor. Several wires go to a plug on the right hand side of the control board on my wheel ( The sensor wires). 3 wires (blue green and yellow - the 3-phase power wires)  go to three screw terminals on the board. I didn't go any further as the terminal screws are covered in glue to prevent them undoing and will probably need to be heated gently with a soldering iron to release the glue. Make very sure you note which wire goes where. DO NOT UNDO THESE WIRES WITHOUT FIRST UNPLUGGING THE BATTERY by disconnecting the yellow XT60 plug. If you accidentally power up a brushless motor with one wire disconnected you are very likely to burn out the motor coils. This is also probably one reason why the terminals are glued. It should now be possible to pull the wheel and cable out of the case while carefully feeding the motor cable down through its slot. It shouldn't be necessary to remove the cable completely. If the end is left in the battery compartment it will be easier to refit the wheel. Make sure you glue the terminals again to prevent any chance of them coming loose and dumping you.

BTW. Power cycling my KS-14C by disconnecting e XT60 plug for 30 seconds fixed my problem with the touch buttons and, a few days before, my lights had stopped coming on automatically and could only be turned on by using the 'lights' button. That also now works correctly. I've found those touch buttons to be the weakest point on this KingSong, difficult to turn the Bluetooth on reliably, odd behaviour, etc. It seems a shame they aren't just a couple of good old fashioned switches!

hope I've got this right and it is of help?

Keith

Archived