214km/133mi ride on KS-18XL

Seba

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Did you use multiple connectors for that 9A charge?

Yes, I use both charging ports as each is rated for 5 amps only.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

What charger do you have?

I use Electrony C1000 (http://www.electrony.cn/index.php/en/products-4/c1000-900watts-charger) with some custom modifications like adjustable current limit, detachable charging cable and charging parameters monitoring:

DSC03387.thumb.jpg.b314d154baf8f0c82c425c693eba0c69.jpg

DSC03384.thumb.jpg.75c53e346fe27797d92e3d80d65f7956.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Nice. did you modify it?

1radwerkstatt also sells chargers but they do 5A max.

Yes and I will post details about this modification soon. 5 amps is a "standard" among fast chargers, as this is quite safe and universal value for most of the EUCs. However KS-18L/XL can be charged with currents up to 10 amps without any significant impact on battery life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seba said:

Yes and I will post details about this modification soon. 5 amps is a "standard" among fast chargers, as this is quite safe and universal value for most of the EUCs. However KS-18L/XL can be charged with currents up to 10 amps without any significant impact on battery life.

Thanks.

If I see it correctly the KS16X has the same battery? So it should be able to handle that too using 2 ports?

7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Thanks.

If I see it correctly the KS16X has the same battery? So it should be able to handle that too using 2 ports?

I think so, but it also depends on electronics. There is so-called ideal diode circuit between charging ports and battery. In KS-18L/XL it is rated to 10 amps (but I suggest to limit charging current to 9 amps or even less, due to risk of overheating this circuit). I don't know if the same circuit is used in KS-16X, but probably is. The best way to check is to remove mainboard cover, connect charger and use thermal camera to check if any part of mainboard doesn't get hotter than 100 °C. Then limit charging current to a value that allows to maintain this temperature.

10 minutes ago, Seba said:

I think so, but it also depends on electronics. There is so-called ideal diode circuit between charging ports and battery. In KS-18L/XL it is rated to 10 amps (but I suggest to limit charging current to 9 amps or even less, due to risk of overheating this circuit). I don't know if the same circuit is used in KS-16X, but probably is. The best way to check is to remove mainboard cover, connect charger and use thermal camera to check if any part of mainboard doesn't get hotter than 100 °C. Then limit charging current to a value that allows to maintain this temperature.

I'll check with 1radwerkstatt. 

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

So it's this one, but how did you manage to restrict the output current?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32960968857.html

No, it's not the same charger. But the one you've linked can also be equipped with current regulation.

wow that's very impressive, well done, I've been thinking of doing trips like that myself.
The maximum I've done in one day I think was a somewhere between 80-95km.
I'm selling my 18L to get a +1600wh EUC (most likely), this being one of the main reasons (long trips).
9A is OK without upgrading the cables?

Edited by Jean Dublin

15 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Depends on who you ask :) 

Haha I see, I guess they get hot, but well, maybe it also depends on if you're charging it outdoors somewhere very warm, or in a cold place. 

Edited by Jean Dublin

17 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

wow that's very impressive, well done, I've been thinking of doing trips like that myself.
The maximum I've done in one day I think was a somewhere between 80-95km.
I'm selling my 18L to get a +1600wh EUC (most likely), this being one of the main reasons (long trips).
9A is OK without upgrading the cables?

I use two paralell 20AWG cables and in theory, 20AWG is rated 3 - 4 amps. However in practice they don't get noticeably warmer. Only connectors get slightly warm, but nothing I should worry about.

1 hour ago, Seba said:

I use two paralell 20AWG cables and in theory, 20AWG is rated 3 - 4 amps. However in practice they don't get noticeably warmer. Only connectors get slightly warm, but nothing I should worry about.

Are those the original cables? 

21 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Are those the original cables? 

No, I found them for sale in local Internet shop.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 11:16 AM, Seba said:

Yes, I use both charging ports as each is rated for 5 amps only.

Congrats!! :thumbup: I have been contemplating doing a 150 km+ ride on my KS18L but chicken out as I was afraid that charging at high rates plus riding for hours might be too much for the batteries. You have given me new hope for a try. I respect those who aren't afraid to go fast, BUT, endurance riding is really where one's character is truly tested. Bravo!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, Jean Dublin said:

I wonder how hard is to change the cables, is there any video up already? 

Just basic soldering skills and few minutes to unsolder old cable wires from charger PCB and solder new ones.

• Upvote 1