Body armour - what do you use?

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I have a lot of Klim gear but I continually push the Marrakesh because of its comfort and low profile good looks as well as stretch fabric versatility (you can layer very easily with it). Most people don’t want to wear moto-jackets because it’s either uncomfortable or looks out of place/bad. 

Someone once reviewed the Marrakesh and said it felt like wearing yoga pants for the upper body lol. 

Thanks @Darrell Wesh. The Marrakesh sounds great. Right now I'm leaning toward getting a Marrakesh and pairing it with something like this (Forcefield Elite Chest Protector):

forcefield_elite_chest_protector.jpg

The other option I'm considering is getting the Fox Flexforce and then finding a light jacket with some kind of abrasion resistance. Is all the armor in the Marrakesh removable? I'm thinking I might have two setups, one where I use the Marrakesh and this chest protector, and another where I use the Marrakesh without the body armor (if it's possible) and the Fox Flexforce. I would have considered getting the Fox Flexforce by itself, and I guess some folks ride around with just that on, but does it really have any abrasion resistance at all?

1 hour ago, Reggie510 said:

Thanks @Darrell Wesh. The Marrakesh sounds great. Right now I'm leaning toward getting a Marrakesh and pairing it with something like this (Forcefield Elite Chest Protector):

forcefield_elite_chest_protector.jpg

The other option I'm considering is getting the Fox Flexforce and then finding a light jacket with some kind of abrasion resistance. Is all the armor in the Marrakesh removable? I'm thinking I might have two setups, one where I use the Marrakesh and this chest protector, and another where I use the Marrakesh without the body armor (if it's possible) and the Fox Flexforce. I would have considered getting the Fox Flexforce by itself, and I guess some folks ride around with just that on, but does it really have any abrasion resistance at all?

Yeah all it’s armor is removable 

• Like 1

You know all those armour outfits you can buy? The ones that are like exposed armour all over your body? Well they all seem to be like a see through mesh type material with the armour attached to it?

Is there a proper jacket that has that kind of body armour all over it? Cheers (does that all make sense?)

2 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

You know all those armour outfits you can buy? The ones that are like exposed armour all over your body? Well they all seem to be like a see through mesh type material with the armour attached to it?

Is there a proper jacket that has that kind of body armour all over it? Cheers (does that all make sense?)

Yeah I think I know what you're getting at. I've done a bit of research, tried out a bunch of jackets, and the jackets I've found that have elbow, shoulder, back and chest protection have tended to be too bulky and inflexible for my taste.

I myself just put in an order for a Klim Marrakesh jacket for its purported comfort and good coverage on the elbows, shoulders and back. It doesn't have chest protection so I bought a separate Forcefield elite chest protector. I'll see how that goes. I'm also considering, in addition, to get the Demon Flexforce X2 D30 and wear that with the Klim Marrakesh with the armor removed.

• Like 2

I'm also considering, in addition, to get the Demon Flexforce X2 D30 and wear that with the Klim Marrakesh with the armor removed.

Hmmm good idea. I have both. Although that sort of defeats the convenience of tossing on/bringing one jacket with protection. 

I've found that have elbow, shoulder, back and chest protection have tended to be too bulky and inflexible for my taste.

You will be very happy with the Marrakesh then. D30 conforms to your body and gets more flexible with body warmth so you barely feel the armor there. The 1000 denier stretch fabric of course is the showstopper and makes it the most comfortable moto jacket. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 10:54 PM, Unventor said:

@Gasmantle

Instead of the POC jacket I suggest to look for something called xion from Holland.

https://xionpg.com

https://xionpg.com/body-protection/longsleeve-jacket-pro-d3o/

This looks pretty good.

The question is, what to wear over it that as some abrasion resistance.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:46 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

Hmmm good idea. I have both. Although that sort of defeats the convenience of tossing on/bringing one jacket with protection. 

Yeah, I totally get that, and I have similar reservations. My idea at the moment is to use the Marrakesh with armor when I'm commuting/running around town and to use the Demon FlexForce + Marrakesh without armor when I'm cruising at higher speeds or off-roading. In terms of the second scenario, my preference would be to use the Demon FlexForce by itself, but it doesn't seem like it has a lot of abrasion resistance?

4 hours ago, Reggie510 said:

Yeah, I totally get that, and I have similar reservations. My idea at the moment is to use the Marrakesh with armor when I'm commuting/running around town and to use the Demon FlexForce + Marrakesh without armor when I'm cruising at higher speeds or off-roading. In terms of the second scenario, my preference would be to use the Demon FlexForce by itself, but it doesn't seem like it has a lot of abrasion resistance?

Zero abrasion resistance. It’s designed for snow really. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I had my first "gravity adjustment" and hamburger-ed my Z10 to the ground.
My Macna motor vest (with elbow and shoulder-padding) worked fine - albeit with a slight color change to green ...
But my chest (and therefore so was I) was looking for air after this encounter ...

SO I added these to my guard-robe (:-)) :

p84074.jpg?ver=1574204400&auto=format&loimg_285124.jpg?ver=1574204400&auto=forma

A bit colorful, but hey - live little ... longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry to hear this buddy! Wow you really got beat up! Unfortunately the bones you broke are hard to immobilize so the healing process is lengthy. I feel really bad for you! Prayers!

Yeah, it's a doozy alright. Thank you Dan!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Yeah, it's a doozy alright. Thank you Dan!

For some reason you were the last person that I expected to crash. Best wishes on your recovery!

• Like 1

:blink:  Oh man that sucks to hear that.  Hope you have a speedy recovery @Rama Douglas.  Everyone falls sooner or later.  It’s just the nature of defying the laws of physics on one wheel that really shouldn’t be going this fast at all when you think about it.  Some people luck out and ninja out of harm’s way,  but harm has a way of getting even eventually.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Oh man that sucks to hear that.  Hope you have a speedy recovery @Rama Douglas.  Everyone falls sooner or later.  It’s just the nature of defying the laws of physics on one wheel that really shouldn’t be going this fast at all when you think about it.  Some people luck out and ninja out of harm’s way,  but harm has a way of getting even eventually.

Thanks Hunka! And yeah, I blame the Drum and Bass in the cans. Makes me ride more aggressively...LoL 😜

• Like 1

I have this. https://www.lazyrolling.com/products/2019-armored-hoodie-by-lazyrolling

I really like it and it's keeps me decent hot. Also very stealth look. I have the version I linked to, but the 2020 version should also be absolutely fine. Just remember to buy the pads that their also selling :P

Edited by Legend27

I got this as a standby once weather gets cold enough to justify wearing it, ill likely add the bright vest n chest armor addition.

In the meantime been wearing that Chinese armor vest guard under numerous names from Amazon lol, much comfier in hot humid weather. I do find the irony of having spilled twice when I decided to leave it off by chance. Wrist guards work. Always walked away with a tingly nipps if anything, n just feeling I was hit in the chest with a 2x4 so far.

Edit: I just tested wearing the Chinese armor vest over the slate jacket and does feel snug, I like it, though new problem is getting a size larger wristguards and elbow pads to wear over jacket/elbow pads now. Here I was feeling it's cool enough, as soon I took it off I'm actually sweating underneath. Dang it is breathable under all that!

Edited by giggidditygiggiddity
edit: the pilot slate is meant to cool but I think my body just heats up alot thus my reasoning it really needs to be air cold. I was surprised the add on visibility vest is about $65usd, where the slate jacket is just $99usd, it has foam on the back/elb
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

What do you all think of the Joe Rocket Phoenix 6.0 Jacket?

People mentioned getting bruised or cracked ribs when crashing. This one stood out to me for having some rib protection, which most other jackets seem to ignore.

• reinforced with Rock Tex™ at the shoulders, elbows and ribs
  • Sculpted high density padding at ribs
  • (along with the regular shoulder, elbow, back padding)

http://www.joerocket.com/mesh-jackets/k6wox1qbixx07e0etpmmz8awcflixq

I'm just looking for a decent jacket, and hoping to avoid needing separate chest/rib armor.

9 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

What do you all think of the Joe Rocket Phoenix 6.0 Jacket?

People mentioned getting bruised or cracked ribs when crashing. This one stood out to me for having some rib protection, which most other jackets seem to ignore.

• reinforced with Rock Tex™ at the shoulders, elbows and ribs
  • Sculpted high density padding at ribs
  • (along with the regular shoulder, elbow, back padding)

http://www.joerocket.com/mesh-jackets/k6wox1qbixx07e0etpmmz8awcflixq

I'm just looking for a decent jacket, and hoping to avoid needing separate chest/rib armor.

Answering my own question-- it looks like the CE "chest" protectors actually cover a lot of ribs, so there probably isn't much need for rib protection beyond that. Plus the Joe Rocket padding looks like it's more decorative than anything. I think the Dainese and Alpinestars jackets with chest protector pockets that people linked to are probably the better way to go, rib-wise. Just have to add the chest protectors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skeptikos said:

Answering my own question-- it looks like the CE "chest" protectors actually cover a lot of ribs, so there probably isn't much need for rib protection beyond that. Plus the Joe Rocket padding looks like it's more decorative than anything. I think the Dainese and Alpinestars jackets with chest protector pockets that people linked to are probably the better way to go, rib-wise. Just have to add the chest protectors.

Yea joe rocket is cheapo gear, but adequate for EUC speeds. Just don’t expect it to hold up in a crash though 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

Yea joe rocket is cheapo gear, but adequate for EUC speeds. Just don’t expect it to hold up in a crash though 

I don't know enough about motorcycle jackets to be dissing any brands (but I'll take your word for it). I just meant the rib padding specifically looks decorative-- I realized they're talking about a series of padded vertical arrows on the side of the jacket. It looks cool but it obviously leaves a lot of your ribs exposed.

I wonder if we can get @Mike Sacristan to convince Lazyrolling to offer chest protector pockets. Based on what I've seen, it sounds like EUC rib injuries are a lot more common than back injuries, and maybe as common as shoulder injuries. So if Lazyrolling is the go-to brand for PEV jackets, it seems like they'd want to include the chest option along with back/shoulder/elbow protection. Maybe they could prevent some rib injuries that way.

• Like 2

Aerostich suit.  Knees/elbows/hips/shoulders/back/chest. It wasnt cheap, and it fits. It probably works better if I wear it tho. Waterproof goretex. Takes less than 1 minute to put it on. Adjustable pads in d30* type material. Machine washable. Hand made in USA, custom fit. I like to think it doesnt make me appear miltant or a child as well. MOST get a much more visible version however :ph34r: It seems more suited for street than dirt, imho. It will outlast many wheels and probably me, especially if i dont wear it often. I also have  set of Olympia mesh pants and jacket. No chest in that tho as it flows VERY cool. Much lower quality but decent. Compromises for sure...

DSC-1314.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Waiting to receive my motocross body armor and short (for spring/summer). I saw some reviews for Aliexpress copy of the "Alpinestars Bionic 2 MX Protection Jacket". And reviews were pretty good.

Spoiler

HTB1kWkgpr9YBuNjy0Fgq6AxcXXa0.jpg

Spoiler

HTB1NwwbpxSYBuNjSspjq6x73VXaM.jpg

I'l give my feedback after receiving it.