Body armour - what do you use?

Hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade to a faster wheel very shortly so I'm now starting to look at body armour, with my first wheel I tended to go at modest speeds so wrist and knee pads were usually enough but with something more powerful I think some kind of protective jacket is going to be a worthwhile investment.

So, my question is what do you guys and gals use as body protection? I'm 60yrs old so I'd kinda like something that is functional but doesn't look like I'm about to walk into a battlezone.

This kinda thing looks reasonably good though I'm not sure how much protection it offers :-

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/clothing-safety-protection/products/flex-force-pro-top-full-armour

• Like 1

I went with a Klim Marrakesh motorcycle jacket, based on postings from some others in this forum.  It has Cordura 1000D fabric, so good abrasion resistance and should easily withstand abrasion at the speeds we’re going, but is still lightweight enough to be ok on a decently warm day.  Also has shoulder, elbow and back D3O protection to CE level 1.

I ultimately opted for this over the Fox armor and the Demon FlexForce X2 (newer, beefier version of what you referenced) because of the abrasion resistance.  Both of those other options seemed more for off road usage and I just didn’t have a lot of confidence as to how they would stand up in a crash on pavement (although I’ve seen at least one other person on this forum indicate they slid pretty well with the Fox style armor and it saved their butt).   I do think the Demon FlexForce armor has superior impact resistance though with chest, rib and collarbone protection, but it’s not going to slide to dissipate energy at higher speeds, that’s for sure.  It was not an easy call to make.  

At any rate, I just received and started wearing my Marrakesh.  I think on a hot day (> 90F), it’s going to be pretty rough to wear, but I do feel like the protection is solid so far.  Of course I won’t know for sure until I get into a crash, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

apart from rom that I always wear wrist protection and knee protection, as well as a downhill MTB style full face helmet.

Edited by 2 Drinks Behind
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a Dainese Air Flux D1 jacket right now. https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motorbike/jackets/textile/air-flux-d1-tex-jacket-201735163.html?dwvar_201735163_color=BLACK%2FBLACK

I am probably going to get another Dainese for the wet fall/winter we have in Seattle.

The air flux d1 is my second summer jacket, the first was a cheapo from cycle gear and the difference in feel and aerodynamics in the it vs the Dainese is worth it to me. I felt much too boxy in the cycle gear one.

Here that one is for reference. https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-blaze-2-jacket

----

I also wear the following to accompany the jacket.

Fox Proframe full face helmet - https://www.foxracing.com/proframe-matte-helmet/23310.html?dwvar_23310_color=001&dwvar_23310_size=S&cgid=mtb-mens-helmets-proframe

troy lee designs speed knee sleeves -  https://www.rei.com/product/109919/troy-lee-designs-speed-knee-sleeves

ewheels wrist guards - https://www.ewheels.com/product/ewheels-branded-wrist-guard/

So far I've not worn upper body protection bar gloves with wrist guards in them that have saved me on numerous occasions. Didn't stop me braking my thumb mind :unsure:

With winter on it's way I foresee more offs in the wet so I've gone for a cheap armoured hoodie.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARmoured-Motorcycle-Mens-Hoodie-Full-Protective-Armour-Lined-Fleece-Protection/223121457978?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521935430457&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not got it yet so can't comment about it's quality.

Thanks @UnventorI like the POC style of jacket, it doesn't look excessively bulky. Ideally I'd like something with decent protect but something I could wear under a fleece style outdoor jacket in colder weather.

I do also rather like the jacket in my original posting, the advert says it is made of a honeycomb material that hardens on impact. I'm not sure how that works or how effective it is, presumably it softens again after impact?

As for helmets, I really need something but I must say I don't like the idea, to me part of the fun of riding is the feeling of freedom and openness but a helmet kills that. I'm a little concerned that some of them deaden sounds reducing overall awareness.

12 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

I do also rather like the jacket in my original posting, the advert says it is made of a honeycomb material that hardens on impact. I'm not sure how that works or how effective it is, presumably it softens again after impact?

Both POC and Xion use 3DO that is soft foam/rubberish material that works best att body temperature so wearing as inner layer is recommended. I use a running t-shirt between body and pic jacket. When struck it hardens so it should like hitting wood but is yet flexible even in winter time if you wear it on the body. Since shoulder and elbow pans is sewed in a mesh fabric you can't wash in a machine, so I shower it instead. On this point the Xion is superior, and have more padding zones too. If I wear to buy this today I would go with Xion. As for the Demon jacket it is similar. 

This is a picture of me with the POC jacket under my t-shirt (summer time), the yellow mc jacket I used last wither over the POC jacket. 

20180927_001407.thumb.jpg.05f9a995430fee82594819145da5cb7f.jpg

Last winter at night I combine the POC with a reflective rain/cycle jacket

Resized_20190111_170342_3238.thumb.jpeg.af735e2a4826c7f4d97a1a279cf091fc.jpeg

Looks almost normal in mormal light. 

Resized_20190111_184445_8014.thumb.jpeg.532b0a8c57e29e66bfdb455db7e13913.jpeg

Photoed with flash at nighttime. I had a backpack too but it got damaged in an accident (dislocated my shoulder).

I believe the Xion is a bit more snug fit/shaped as they made this to be hidden under cloth for stuntmen/women. 

16 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks @UnventorI rather like that yellow helmet you have, is it a motorcycle helmet?

What is it like regarding sound, can you still hear cars etc?  I don't like wearing anything that reduces sound awareness but I really need a helmet once I get my new wheel.

The yellow helmet is a TSG Pass helmet in acid yellow as they call it. I do hear some outside sound but not as much as a open helmet. Much more than my mc helmet though. It is nice and feels kinda like tight bycle cloth on the head if you know what I mean. Great in vindy conditions but not so much when it gets cold as it tend to fog up due to too little airflow at below 25kmh in below 0c degrees.

But that is where my mc helmet is great due to pinlock antifogging system. And it is warmer too. 

• Like 1

I'm still doodling around on an e+ but looking to buy better protection now for when I get a faster ride. I like the MC jacket option for ease of use, and am caught between these two: 

Dainese Air Master  https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motorbike/jackets/textile/air-master-tex-jacket-201735201.html?dwvar_201735201_color=BLACK%2FGLACIER-GRAY%2FFLUO-YELLOW#

Dainese Air Frame D1 https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motorbike/jackets/textile/air-frame-d1-tex-jacket-201735196.html?dwvar_201735196_color=BLACK%2FRED%2FRED&cgid=#q=air+frame&start=1

The second one fits well and you can snap down arms and shoulder for better pad position, plus has zip in wind breaker. The only thing not to like is that it doesn't have pockets for chest protectors, only back ones. The former is a bit up armored and has the option for split chest protectors. 

13 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks @UnventorI rather like that yellow helmet you have, is it a motorcycle helmet?

What is it like regarding sound, can you still hear cars etc?  I don't like wearing anything that reduces sound awareness but I really need a helmet once I get my new wheel.

Get a downhill mountainbike helmet with certified chin bar. It's a lot lighter and more open.

Then again, going 25mph when it's cold can be more comfortable with a MC helmet with closed  visor.

4 hours ago, Dan the Man said:

What is recommend for hip protection? My hip joint is rather worn out and if I fall on it  that would probably mean getting a new joint, I hate that idea.

underpants with g-form or 3do padding.

https://demonsnow.com/store/MTB-BMX/MTB-BMX-Upper-Lower Body/Armortec-Short-Pants-D3O

• Like 1

Richa titan kevlar hoodie is my choise, it's manageable even hot summer day and in winter I can pack stuff under it.

I have also demons and foxs upper body protectors, but those need few extra minutes to put on vs putting hoodie with pads.

I have no trouble wearing my Marrakesh jacket in 90 degrees. Why? Because Klim also makes base layers called Aggressor Cool -1.0 with something called Coolcore technology.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-aggressor-cool-10-ls-shirt?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsjDpMK55AIVDRgMCh0qtAk-EAUYASABEgJywfD_BwE

Basically you dip the shirt and leggings in water, drenching it, then wring it out and it feels ice cold as you put it on. This lasts me about 45minutes of cooling. And you just redip it in water and you’re good to go for another 45minutes. 

I can comfortably wear any of my otherwise heavy and hot motorcycle jackets with no issues thanks to Coolcore. It’s a secret most people don’t know about. They also make a neck sock that you can convert to a banadana to keep your head cool 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 1:54 PM, Unventor said:

My new mc suit 

20190510_155554.thumb.jpg.ecbcdc10a1270e1999638fc40f13a54f.jpg

Instead of the POC jacket I suggest to look for something called xion from Holland.

https://xionpg.com

The biggest difference is you can take out all D3O parts making it much more adaptable and friendly to wash (since you wear them closest to body, they can get smelly after some time on hot summer time). 

The main reason for using MC suit with build in pads compared to the inner production jacket is convenience. Faster to put on and you don't have a second inner jacket to store somewhere where you get to where you needed to got. But downside it is less fitted and my back plate is shorter now. 

@Unventor - What are you wearing on top of your xion? Is that an Alpinestars jacket?

11 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I have no trouble wearing my Marrakesh jacket in 90 degrees. Why? Because Klim also makes base layers called Aggressor Cool -1.0 with something called Coolcore technology.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-aggressor-cool-10-ls-shirt?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrsjDpMK55AIVDRgMCh0qtAk-EAUYASABEgJywfD_BwE

Basically you dip the shirt and leggings in water, drenching it, then wring it out and it feels ice cold as you put it on. This lasts me about 45minutes of cooling. And you just redip it in water and you’re good to go for another 45minutes. 

I can comfortably wear any of my otherwise heavy and hot motorcycle jackets with no issues thanks to Coolcore. It’s a secret most people don’t know about. They also make a neck sock that you can convert to a banadana to keep your head cool 

@Darrell Wesh - It seems you are a big fan of the Klim Marrakesh jacket. It looks really appealing to me. The only drawback for me is that there is no chest protection. I fell off my wheel at 25 mph a little over a week ago and took a hit to my chest. Nothing major, but a week later I'm still feeling some soreness in my ribs in my upper chest. I'm wondering if there is anything close to the Marrakesh that has some sort of chest protection...

The Klim Tek Pack bookbag has Chest protection built in.

https://www.klim.com/Tek-Pak-3216-000

Or you can go with Demon flexforce x2 body armor and get a huge bulky SAS-Tec chest protector along with the standard rib protection foam. But it’s really quite bulky chest protector and you will look funny so I took mine out.

C198EBEA-92A9-4E01-A439-9A913BF4EE20.png

E83305AB-B785-4202-A0EA-CCD94DD7230A.jpeg

Edited by Darrell Wesh

16 minutes ago, Reggie510 said:

@Darrell Wesh - It seems you are a big fan of the Klim Marrakesh jacket. It looks really appealing to me. The only drawback for me is that there is no chest protection. I fell off my wheel at 25 mph a little over a week ago and took a hit to my chest. Nothing major, but a week later I'm still feeling some soreness in my ribs in my upper chest. I'm wondering if there is anything close to the Marrakesh that has some sort of chest protection...

I have a lot of Klim gear but I continually push the Marrakesh because of its comfort and low profile good looks as well as stretch fabric versatility (you can layer very easily with it). Most people don’t want to wear moto-jackets because it’s either uncomfortable or looks out of place/bad. 

Someone once reviewed the Marrakesh and said it felt like wearing yoga pants for the upper body lol. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Reggie510 said:

@Unventor - What are you wearing on top of your xion? Is that an Alpinestars jacket?

I don’t have the xion as I only got to know about it after I had bought my POC jacket. 

The POC jacket is similar, and I used a yellow cheat mc jacket when it was cold enough over it. In summer I just used a yellow t-shirt over it.

That is my I bought my new alpines tar mc suit, as I have level 2 D3O pads in bending zones, and alpines pads in back and chest. On the alpinestair suit I have air vents I can open, and a inner option of both rain protection and enver thermo liner too. 

Edited by Unventor
Note: above you see some of the combos with the POC jacket, yellow mc jacket, t-shirt, reflex rain jacket. All with POC jacket underneath.
  • Like 1