Another week, another unhappy customer

Sidewalk Enforcer

Edit: Sorry for writing "you" below. Forgot the videos are from another rider.

That's really frustrating to go through. Health before adventure.

I've ridden 10kkm on my V8 and never had it cut out. I push it quite hard going up hills too and must be touching over 1500watts at times. I had two malfunctions happen to me and it's the gyro getting out of whack going over a bump at high speed. It just freaks out twitching back and forth. In both cases I managed to stay on it. Really relaxing the legs and letting them take up the bump instead of sending the shock into the v8 helped me avoid that from happening again.

I'm 68kg thereabouts. 

For many years I didn't have any audible alarms, only tiltback. It's only recently after playing around I noticed the sound files must have been corrupted. I downloaded them again and now they work. I get an alarm when going too fast. (Sometimes I wish I never "fixed" it because it's quite annoying when riding a long distance on a flat road with little wind or tailwind.)

I've never heard an alarm for overload, yet. I don't know if there even is one. Maybe you can check that yours are enabled.

Before upgrading my battery and after becoming more confident on the wheel I did start to notice the feeling of voltage sag in the battery. You can feel it when the wheel is hesitating slightly before it can balance you out. That to me is a distinct feeling that I can lean no further. I'm always kind of riding that delay in acceleration and don't try to exceed it.

I recently upgraded my battery and added more cells. The reduced voltage sag when asking for power is very noticeable. I can push the V8 a lot more now and it just accelerates swiftly.

Because it is a light machine with a relatively small battery, voltage sag is a problem. When asking for many amps (accelerating) the voltage drops quite severely. It's good I think to learn to recognize when this happens (slight delay in acceleration).

For a light rider this might not influence the ride much, but for a heavier one it might.

I hope any of this helps to build confidence again. It's just a theory but 10kkm later I don't have any cutouts on two v8 and I've been climbing mountains and ride the speed limit constantly.

I also don't own other wheel models so I don't have to consciously switch my way of riding to stay within the limit that can change. Unconciously I would probably push the weaker wheels harder if I rode a more powerful wheel occasionally.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I hope any of this helps to build confidence again. It's just a theory but 10kkm later I don't have any cutouts on two v8 and I've been climbing mountains and ride the speed limit constantly.

I also don't own other wheel models so I don't have to consciously switch my way of riding to stay within the limit that can change. Unconciously I would probably push the weaker wheels harder if I rode a more powerful wheel occasionally.

Not had any issues either in my ~ 2000 km of ownership. However, I'm quite conservative on the wheel. A battery upgrade would be an awesome mod to attempt on my wheel in the distant future.

My analysis of the crash above:

1. Battery at amber level
  2. Gathered crowd to show-boat in front of
  3. Hard acceleration from a standstill (possibly due to point 2. , possibly to merge with traffic)
  4. Dressing for the ride instead of the slide - wrist-guards and elbow-guards may have dissipated some of the impact with a slide instead of a splat

It's a shame since the guy has a nice collection of wheels and is obviously a huge fan of EUCs - perhaps the high torque Gotways (Mten and MSX) built in some bad habits that don't translate to the smaller V8 very well.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I've never heard an alarm for overload, yet. I don't know if there even is one.

There is, I regularly get an acoustic warning when I climb a large (>10cm) curb or hit a speed bump too hard.

• Like 1