Jim Martin

How far is too far to lean?

41 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

At some point, the electrical system of the wheel cannot provide any more current, and you'll overlean because of speed. The wheel does NOT "cut out", it just can't provide any more current (which translates to torque) to the wheel, and you pivot forward. The amount of current available also goes down as the battery gets low on power. The wheels will beep and tiltback trying to warn the rider (unless you disable all that).

I'll be doing more research but something you said is very interesting. I never actually received beep or tiltback and I don't even know how I could disable it. (just checked and the app won't even open the speed settings... uh oh...)

When I had my fall, I can't remember exactly what it felt like but I do remember earlier on, I had something similar happen but never fell. I leaned really far forward because I was trying to accelerate as fast as I could and the autobalance just stopped. Somehow I managed to keep myself on the wheel (legs violently shaking forward and backwards trying to balance) until the wheel gave a beep and autoleveled again. It was so scary because I had no gear on but definitely made me trust the wheel less because I had no idea what had just happened. 
I want to say this is what happened when I fell but it's all blurry and can't say for sure. 

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Image result for electric motor torque curve

Looks like this motor has "artificial" electronic limitations due to the controller. On the left the current is limited (possibly because to protect wires against overheating or due to battery current limitation). This may indeed also be the case for the EUC motor setup, so we wouldn't get the maximally possible motor torque at low speed. To the right the power is (artificially) limited, which is rather unlikely to be the case for EUC motor setups (the limit in the figure is 140kW, compared this to the under 2kW for an EUC motor). The physical (electric) limitations of electric motors in comparison are described here.

Edited by Mono