A close call with dumb pedestrians

FlyboyEUC

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Also, screen zombies are everywhere. They walk aimlessly with eyes focussed on their devices. 

I'm unsure as what to do about this, as it seems to be nearly 100% of young walkers. You ring and ring, then when they finally notice you they jump randomly.

To be fair, cell phone zombies don't hurt anyone.

I do admit to occasionally shouting as loud as I can, when both my bell and my music speakers do not work, not in an angry way at all but in a purely malicious way that enjoys the suffering of others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

two weeks ago I was riding in the city center, quite a lot of pedestrians tram rails, bus's  etc.. it was a lovely summersday not too overcrowded and I was riding already for an hour or so enjoying the obstacles and nice pavements that a city can offer.. 

When I rode towards the market square on cobble stones at around 20km/h I saw a young guy running like hell towards me, closely chased by his girlfriend,.. he was looking in the distance behind me, I changed course but he did too, still going very fast straight towards me ( I wear full face helmet, wrist guards , motorcycle pants and jacket) I didn't understand and wanted to avoid a collision, me going left or right didn't help just seconds before since he also changed his course so I decided to brake as hard as possible , less then a second before the collision I came to a stand still , my foot wasn't on the ground yet and he ran into me on my left shoulder, I didn't fall, but then he's girlfriend who was 15 m behind him didn't try to avoid me and she ran hard into me, just before impact I muscled up to embrace the impact, but she was smaller and I got her elbows that she raised in the last instance into my belly ,umphhh damn I didn't see that one coming ( full of protection but not on my belly, I thought my sixpack would have been enough:efefa6edcf:, or the small appearing beer belly, you choose) . She stood up without saying anything and started running again, and now I understood , they were late for their tram and they still wanted to catch it,.. no apology no nothing, I was gasping for air ... luckily I managed to brake before impact.. he was able to see me and dodge me, she simply was in a rage or fury to get that tram..

afterwords I thought how could I have prevented that collision, funny enough I know going to the right or left would have helped me (however it was very crowdy ) and I tried that , I went to the left and he did the same.. it's like the situation you get with a motorcycle if your fixed on to a subject then you will hit it too... so I am quite happy that slowing down did help , I think braking in a situation that you don't understand is most often the right decision, sometimes pedestrians , even motorcycles and cars do funny alogical things, which doesn't seem logical for you at that time.. they were like a horse with eye caps on ;)

Normally I am in favour of clear turns that makes the other understand what I am about to do, but I do learnt that people in a rush do strange stuff.. and maybe I was a bit tired of analysing 100 pedestrians and their actions the hours before that..

not to mention all the pedestrians looking at their phone and that suddenly starts crossing the streets, since their brain didn't pick up any motorcycle noise.. welcome to the 21 century of vehicles with batteries..

CL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

afterwords I thought how could I have prevented that collision, funny enough I know going to the right or left would have helped me

I think this is an excellent outcome, because everyone survived while having a slight amount of pain. Contrast that with being hit by a driver at 50 kmh, which is commonly done with vehicles that have only the driver's caution to limit speeds.

• Like 1