JonTheMad

Inmotion V8 wheel spinning unevenly

My inmotion V8 got this up and down "pumping" feeling when I'm riding, almost like I'm riding on small bumps, and I have noticed that the wheel seems to have an uneven spinning. Not like it's wobbling side to side, but rather up and down. 

Any idea what might be the cause to this, and what can be done about it? I tried changing the tire pressure but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.  😓

• Like 1

Trying to find information about this issue and I stumble upon posts about "weight balancing" your wheel with small weights to counter both side to side wobbling and up and down wobbling. Is this a good thing to do?

It sounds like your tyre is not perfectly round. If you put the wheel on its side and spin it by hand while watching the edge of the rim and the outer edge of the tyre you should be able to confirm if the tyre is the problem. If the tyre is the problem, then it might not be properly seated on the rim, so you should deflate it and then gently re-inflate while making sure that the tyre bead snaps onto the rim and that the inner tube isn't trapped between the tyre and the rim. You might need to pump the tyre up quite hard to 50 psi, then after it pops onto the rim let some air out to get the pressure you prefer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nic said:

It sounds like your tyre is not perfectly round. If you put the wheel on its side and spin it by hand while watching the edge of the rim and the outer edge of the tyre you should be able to confirm if the tyre is the problem. If the tyre is the problem, then it might not be properly seated on the rim, so you should deflate it and then gently re-inflate while making sure that the tyre bead snaps onto the rim and that the inner tube isn't trapped between the tyre and the rim. You might need to pump the tyre up quite hard to 50 psi, then after it pops onto the rim let some air out to get the pressure you prefer.

Thanks man! I actually feel like I have fixed most of the issue, but should it really be that hard to make the tyre perfectly round? I need to try more tomorrow,  it's better but it's not perfect yet.

Check around the tube valve because the brass valve stem is quite stiff and it may cause the tube to be trapped by the tyre at that point. It is very rare to get a faulty tyre.

• Like 1

Hmm now I have changed tyre. I have noticed that it's actually not the tire but the wheel itself that,  the rim, that doesn't spin in a perfect circle... might I need to weight balance ?

Is the rim edge maybe bent in a place? It can make it hard for the tire to seat nice and center. The edge can sometimes be corrected with an adjustable wrench.

Are you sure the tube was placed nice and evenly in the tire? Is the tube the right size? If the tube is too big and/or grips the tire you could have a kink in it. Use the right size inner tube, put some talcum powder on it, then install it while it having some air - not completely deflated.

Check the lines that go around the tire and spin the motor. Check that the lines are the same distance from the rim. Inflate the tire slowly/incrementally with the wheel on its side and center the tire at low pressure before bringing the pressure up to normal. 

Just some ideas...

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

How about uploading a small video of the problem (e.g. on Youtube)? That would make it much easier to diagnose.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JonTheMad said:

Hmm now I have changed tyre. I have noticed that it's actually not the tire but the wheel itself that,  the rim, that doesn't spin in a perfect circle... might I need to weight balance ?

If the rim is not round, then you have a more serious issue. Adding weights won't fix it because it isn't a weight balance issue. Some photos or a video would help. It would be very unusual for the rim to be faulty. Is the rim bent or look like its been damaged? How much is it out by? Did you ride it onto kerbs or take large drops on it?

I noticed my Glide 3 feels the same way when I run very high pressures say 54 PSI or more. A little bit lower and I don't feel that lump sort of feeling.

Also I've had it happen multiple times on bicycle tires where the bead isn't sitting evenly on a part of the rim, i.e. after a tire or tube change, and deflating it and squeezing/pulling it into the groove evenly it makes it go away.  This problem would be easy to spot by laying the wheel on its side and rotating it while looking at the tire-Rim contact point as it rotates to look for an uneven spot where the bead is not fully seated.

• Upvote 1

I am sorry to say, but I think you damaged the rim.. meaning it' s not perfectly round anymore and hence you feel the up/down movement. You may want to buy a new one, try to call your seller! 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:43 AM, JonTheMad said:

How much is the deviation? 1mm I would consider common, but noticeably larger than that would likely be an issue.

Please take a video with your cell phone so we can judge better.

Has it always been like that? Do you still have warranty?

If the issue still bothers after centering the tire, weight balancing will likely help a bit. Won’t solve the issue, but in addition to centering the tire it may just make the ride tolerable.