yourtoys7

Nikola... what have you done or will do!

Don't forget to cover those new speakers with hydrophobic speaker cloth to protect against water damage!  

@Marty Backe made a video on it, based on @Dzlchef 's original speaker mod, IIRC. I would definitely do that too if I had my own Nikola.

That was a while ago, wonder how well its holding up for him in all those SoCal mountain rides...

Edited by Blueblade

21 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Don't forget to cover those new speakers with hydrophobic speaker cloth to protect against water damage!  

@Marty Backe made a video on it, based on @Dzlchef 's original speaker mod, IIRC. I would definitely do that too if I had my own Nikola.

That was a while ago, wonder how well its holding up for him in all those SoCal mountain rides...

I haven't opened mine up since doing the mod, but I only ride through little puddles, so I'm sure it's fine. I added it as a bit more insurance.

As I said in my other thread, I replaced the thick stock pads with much thinner ones which I think make it feel way better.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:10 AM, Blueblade said:

I didn't use the cloth but plan on adding during my upcoming tire change. The speakers still sound great and I've ridden through a bit more water than Marty but not much since it doesn't rain often here. A must do mod unless you get the new upgraded speakers with the passive radiator. 

On 2/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, Dzlchef said:

new upgraded speakers with the passive radiator. 

Where can I find more info on this? 

6 hours ago, Kristof Willen said:

a 'real' rear light for the miserable light excuse that is the embossed GW logo

I've been wondering if anyone has tried dremeling out the GW logo tail-light and replacing it with just a circular 'lens'/diffuser. Something I might try the next time I need to disassemble my wheel for any other reason.

Edited by AtlasP

15 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I've been wondering if anyone has tried dremeling out the GW logo tail-light and replacing it with just a circular 'lens'/diffuser. Something I might try the next time I need to disassemble my wheel for any other reason.

If I had one I might try just cutting out a wide circle around it say 1.5cm wide circle leave just a cm or so connecting at the bottom, or top and bottom.  Then you have a nice large red taillight ring, with the GW logo in the middle.  Although I'm not against taking out the logo as you suggest, that is probably easier.

Edited by FreeRide

I also added a rear light. But since I count on dropping the wheel a bit in the beginning I fitted a small bicycle light in the split just below the handle. This way the light actually could survive a minor fall. It's also easy to remove to charge.

nikola_light.jpg

This machine needs a mudguard. Really annoying they don't come fitted as standard. Here's my take. Made from one of those things you might have sitting around the kitchen sink.

mudguard.thumb.jpg.610faf7ba52afdea121e2c92d82fc31b.jpg

Well, I don't anymore, mine turned into a mudguard that extends about 14 cm (5.5 inches) down. It ain't pretty, but it works well.

nikola_mudguard.thumb.jpg.1c9d69ee369759a13e0107d2d87296b4.jpg 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, AtlasP said:

woah no need to take a dremel to it haha you can easily remove the plastic piece that makes the "GW" and it will just be like any other normal tail light

heres a close up view.. im pretty sure its just a black piece of plastic thats blocking the light from outside of the letters GW.. just remove that piece of plastic and you have a normal tail light

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-4.jpg

Edited by Rywokast

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

woah no need to take a dremel to it haha you can easily remove the plastic piece that makes the "GW" and it will just be like any other normal tail light

heres a close up view.. im pretty sure its just a black piece of plastic thats blocking the light from outside of the letters GW.. just remove that piece of plastic and you have a normal tail light

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-4.jpg

Huh, I hadn't actually looked very closely. I assumed the lettering was cut into/out of the casing. Either way I wasn't planning to disassemble just to mess with it, but as I said the next time I do need to disassemble it for any reason I guess I'll find out and go from there. :-)

Edited by AtlasP

19 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Huh, I hadn't actually looked very closely. I assumed the lettering was cut into/out of the casing. Either way I wasn't planning to disassemble just to mess with it, but as I said the next time I do need to disassemble it for any reason I guess I'll find out and go from there. :-)

You'll need to split the shell to do this mod, which is sort of a pain on some Nikola variants. But not much more of a pain than on any other GW wheel.