Need a new wheel, which do you recommend: Kingsong 16x or Gotway MSuper X?

chroma

I need (emphasis on the word need) a new wheel, actually is more like a spare wheel. I do have a spare (V8) but the range is not there for my commute 30miles total (15 going and 15 coming back). I currently use a KS18L but I had a flat twice and I had to use the V8 to get to work. I hate to have to carry a charger, I hate charging at work, I already carry too much in my backpack so I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I also take a train so, the weight of the unit matters since I have to carry it. I already carry my KS18L, therefore gotway monster is out of the question and so is the KS18s too bulky and no trolley handle. I do not want to get a KS18XL, mainly because I already have a 18L, I want something different. I was considering a Kingsong 16x but I have read  that it has a lot problems (tilt back and oscillation when braking), I've never been on a gotway but from watching many videos I've noticed that they seem to  have somewhat sketchy quality control. I do need an 18+ size wheel because the roads that I use for my commute are on par with third world country roads. I will not be making this purchase now, mainly because none of the wheels that I want are readily available, but perhaps will purchase mid september or early october. (btw I am 5'3 female).

Gotway doesn't have sketchy quality control. Early Nikolas had problems, but they're certainly fixed now. But their 18+ wheels (MSX, Monster) are really well built. :)

18+ leaves you with KS18XL, MSX, Monster and Z10. I have MSX and besides a shit trolley handle it's fine (for a 260lbs person).

If you suffer from flats, fill your tire with Slime. :-)

I suppose that what I meant by 18+ was that I do not have a need for anything smaller than 18 inch but could be 16 but wide- anything else  smaller would be too harsh for me due to poor the road conditions. Monster doesn't have a trolley handle and might be too bulky and heavy to carry a few stairs on a daily basis. Z10 has almost no spare parts available so if anything goes wrong it will be almost next to impossible to repair.  I do use slime but only for my bicycles and it's messy, I wanted to use a liner instead but when I tried it the wheel felt a bit odd, so I took it out. I get a lot of flats because I ride in a very industrial part of the city, there is all kinds of sharp metal objects everywhere. I am NOT 260lbs but I am a very short female ;-) with small hands for the Nikola.

The MSX is an awesome wheel, but the trolley handle is kind of useless due to the positioning.  The nikola is very nice, but the handle is pretty wide and it's harder to carry.  I weighed both my 100v MSX and my 100v Nikola plus.  The nikola plus weights 57 lbs and the MSX is 47 lbs, so there is a 10 lb difference.  But the nikola plus has a 1845wh battery vs the 1280 wh in my 100v MSX.  The trolley on the nikola plus is much better than the MSX, however it's still no where as good as any kingsong or my inmotion v8/solowheel glide 3.  

Here's my MSX next to the Nikola Plus

IMG_4876.jpg

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chroma said:

. I hate to have to carry a charger, I hate charging at work, I already carry too much in my backpack so I am trying to keep it as light as possible.

Why don't you buy a second one and leave it at work?

• Upvote 2

18(X)L is currently the only 18+” wheel I can get myself to unconditionally recommend. MSX would be a great wheel if Gotway had put even a minute of thought to comfort and ridability. For DIYers it indeed can be a great powerhouse of a wheel. For regular wheelers, hit & miss.

Going smaller in size, the new 16x3” wheels are the only ones left for actual travelling. But they both weigh as much as the 18XL/MSX 1600. Nikola seems to have gotten the critical issues in order, but the led rings are breaking already for several users.

Once KS gets the last 16X issues figured out, I believe it will be a really great wheel. If you are planning on waiting anyway, I’d watch that one very closely.

Any wheel that would be a worthy purchase next to your 18L will be a good bit heavier. No way around that.

Then there is the V10F (16x2.5”). It has comparable range (and weight?) to your 18L. It’s issues won’t bother a light rider. If you plan on keeping the 18L as your main wheel, the V10F might fit the purpose quite well.

9 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

Gotway doesn't have sketchy quality control.

:blink1: They absolutely do. Unless your point is that they don’t even have quality control... They have gotten lucky with a few models, but several decisions in design and manufacturing of the Nikola for example shows that they are all over the place, and even disregarding the very basics of electronics manufacturing.

16X has troubling issues, sure, but they are pretty much all related to the rushed firmware, which can and will be fixed by updates. Gotway issues are related to hardware, so the only fix that can be done is to replace the mainboard. Which doesn’t address a loose trolley, exposed wires in the handle, a mainboard prone to becoming loose, stickers tearing people’s fingers before falling off completely, etc. And being a top end vehicle prone to tumbling, wear and scartches, it’s made of glossy plastic.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, chroma said:

I was considering a Kingsong 16x but I have read  that it has a lot problems (tilt back and oscillation when braking)...

The pedal tilt was fixed with the Bluetooth module firmware change.

We'll see what the new firmware does for oscillations when it arrives.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:50 AM, ir_fuel said:

Why don't you buy a second one and leave it at work?

I work at a school- as it is I have to hide my wheel in a closet-can't have it charging in the presence of students- as it is they don't concentrate, and my luck--just my luck something negative happens during me charging it ---I just do not want to risk coming out on the 5 o'clock news.

• Upvote 1

Get the 16X and change the tire..

On 8/12/2019 at 8:24 PM, chroma said:

I was considering a Kingsong 16x but I have read  that it has a lot problems (tilt back and oscillation when braking)

The rest of the release issues should be fixed by the time of your purchase. 

10 minutes ago, wheelr said:

Get the 16X and change the tire..

The rest of the release issues should be fixed by the time of your purchase. 

I thought so too-- I am leaning towards the 16x the main reason is speakers --I use the navigator sometimes and it is very nice to hear instructions-- but there is something mythical about the gotway--gosh I wish I could get both---

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chroma said:

I thought so too-- I am leaning towards the 16x the main reason is speakers --I use the navigator sometimes and it is very nice to hear instructions-- but there is something mythical about the gotway--gosh I wish I could get both---

Haha spoken like a true enthusiast. Currently there is a 16X bug (introduced by a fix) where the first 0.5 second of audio gets cut out, rendering navigation useless. Keep an eye on that and make sure it's been fixed before you pull the trigger. Best of luck with your choice(s) XD