The ultimate SLIME thread (tire sealant)

chrisjunlee

So how long do these tubeless sealants usually last before they become ineffective? And once they do, do you have to clean all the dried stuff out first before putting in new sealant?

Whatever Gotway put in my Mten3 almost 3 years ago has dried out to the point where it doesn't hold air anymore.

XvUCCid.jpg

45 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

So how long do these tubeless sealants usually last before they become ineffective?

Usually from 6 months to lifetime of the tire, depending on the sealant in question. Regularly you can just add more, but after 3 years and the apocalypse level disaster you got going on there I’d definitely wash and scrape the old one out as good as you possibly can. Hopefully the rim hasn’t corroded badly.

• 3 weeks later...

dunno if im just old but do tubes not get patched anymore like in the old days - patchkit costs like 6bucks! I had a flat on a used v8 and much to my surprise when i removed the tube it was filled with slime. Does this mean the slime was used to initially fix the tube but eventually gave out?

29 minutes ago, amelanso said:

dunno if im just old but do tubes not get patched anymore like in the old days - patchkit costs like 6bucks! I had a flat on a used v8 and much to my surprise when i removed the tube it was filled with slime. Does this mean the slime was used to initially fix the tube but eventually gave out?

Not necessarily. I put Ride-On in all my PEVs when I get them. The point is to prevent small punctures, and not just to fix when puncture already happened.   

16 minutes ago, BruceCLin said:

Not necessarily. I put Ride-On in all my PEVs when I get them. The point is to prevent small punctures, and not just to fix when puncture already happened.   

so the flat i got in the tube filled with slime? was a tiny pinprick hole... the slime did not prevent?

6 hours ago, amelanso said:

so the flat i got in the tube filled with slime? was a tiny pinprick hole... the slime did not prevent?

It's hard to say without going through the tube inch by inch or do the soapy water test. If you reinflate the tube, does it leak air somewhere identifiable? Or is there a big cut already, which sealant won't be able to help? Also to note that not all sealants are created equal. Some drys out and others last years. Some have larger fibers that seals bigger hole, etc. another place where sealant won't help much is around the valve area.

2 hours ago, BruceCLin said:

It's hard to say without going through the tube inch by inch or do the soapy water test. If you reinflate the tube, does it leak air somewhere identifiable? Or is there a big cut already, which sealant won't be able to help? Also to note that not all sealants are created equal. Some drys out and others last years. Some have larger fibers that seals bigger hole, etc. another place where sealant won't help much is around the valve area.

there was a pinhole nowhere near the valve - i emptied out the slime and patched with normal patchkit - holds air fine now...

5 hours ago, BruceCLin said:

another place where sealant won't help much is around the valve area.

Sealants only work in places they can reach. A puncture high up the sidewall or towards the rim are places a liquid can't reach, so it doesn't get to do it's job.

Although, a few times I have been able to splash Goop to those spots as well by bouncing the wheel against the ground while the puncture is at the lowest part of the tire.

If the Slime is old and dry its not going to be able to migrate to a new hole as its lost its liquidity.How long slime lasts i dont know.If u get a puncture its easier to dump a bottle of Slime in than tear down the wheel to pull the tube and repatch.

Hole was about 3oclock on the tube circumference so not very high up on the sidewall and the slime was still very liquid as I could easily squirt it out. So puzzling to me as to why it did not prevent deflation. In replaying the event, the flat occurred when I transitioned from pave to a wooden boardwalk and I had to brake hard to avoid some walkers as I rode over a wooden lip ( which must have had a splinter just ready to sabotage my outing ). A flat definitely made me think about riding in secluded far off areas cuz it can be a long walk carrying/trolleying your wheel back to civilisation! Even if I had slime with me can't see how that would have helped given the tube was already slimed! Thankfully flats are pretty uncommon...but a good reminder still that having a small pump and slime might get you out of a jam.

• 2 years later...

Well fxxk me dead,the old Sherman got a puncture in the knobby.Careful visual examination shows nothing. I dumped 5 oz of Slime in the tube and it was flat the next day.I dumped the rest of the Slime ( 3 oz) in and the bastard is still flat.I,m thinking now there must be a hole in the valve stem somewhere that probably got ther e as u bend the valve stem a bit to inflate the tyre. Anyone know what size tube i need and (where to order it) and whether its easier to sp:confused1:lit the wheel in two leaving all the motorwires connected or disconnect everything from the top and drag the wheel out from the bottom?

On 4/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, Daley1 said:

the bastard is still flat.

If you haven’t yet, tighten the valve core with a tool made for that exact job. Or replace the core altogether, they’re available at most bike repair shops.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, Daley1 said:

Anyone know what size tube i need and (where to order it)

18x3” or 2.75-14”. They say that +- one size either way is ok, but I’m not comfortable with a tube that stretches out that much, or is crumpled over itself.

EUC shops are the best source for tubes, since the valve stem has to be bent in a specific way. It’s really difficult to find suitable tubes anywhere else.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Anyone fancy having a stab at how much slime I should be using for an EX30? I know that 6oz is generally good for 18" wheels but the EX rim is pretty wide so was wondering if I should up it to the full 8oz, or maybe somewhere inbetween like 7oz? I know the tyre isn't actually getting any bigger with the EX but the volume inside would be.