Will you lend your wheels to curious pedestrians?

iEatRice

When riding my old ninebot one e+, I offer it anyone who wants to try it.    The MSX, no way. 

Of about 30 people to try the e+, 5 have succeeded.  All of the successes were motocross or skateboard riders and understood my "commitment" advice like "go for it, don't case it".

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, iEatRice said:

. A bunch of drunk teenagers came out from nowhere and tired to help themselves to ride my wheel w/o my permission. I stopped them and they dropped my X8 on the ground very hard. They even intended to start a fight with me just because I didn't allow them to ride my wheel! WTF?

I had that experience a few times, in normally goes like this, they are in awe what you can do with an EUC, so they want to stop you and ask you more, once you stop and they are in a group, one of them will always try to be the bad tough guy and try to impress his friends, I generally tell him that I don't lent out my wheel because of possible damage and yes in two occasions the situation escalated, but before it could further escalate I was off, it's difficult for them to catch you in an urban environment, we are simply too fast ;)

having said that , in general I only have very good experiences, the EUC is welcomed with smiles..  

in regards to the video : 

I wouldn't lent it to someone inexperienced, and if I do only on the grass to start out with and give them support, I couldn't really enjoy the crashes on the V5 on the video, the guys are simply oblivious of the hazards, the owner wears protection but lents it out and is happy to film a crash of someone without protection, maybe it's funny to see someone fall for some, i know there is a market for jokes where you see other people getting hurted.. but it shouldn't be our style, it's only bad marketing for the EUC , I guess unintended it could be funny but I think it's irresponsible to give someone like that it a try without more assistance etc.. just my opinion off course..

I did a few times when I had a no name 14in which did max 12km/h which would not hurt too much if it got scratched, but not anymore, as machines got faster and more expensive...

Edited by Jean Dublin

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing how to ride an EUC yourself is one thing. Knowing how to train someone is another skill. I don't recommend putting anyone on your EUC, unless you have some experience training people on self-balancing devices. Certainly not on open concrete, maybe on grass. It's extremely risky, both to their safety and your wheel. If you do, be prepared to have your wheel dropped by a stranger, who will likely offer nothing in return for the damage, except maybe an apology, if you're lucky. And be prepared to deal with an injured person who will blame you and potentially may seek medical costs from you. It could include the injury of a bystander and/or property damage. Things can go bad in an instant. Lawsuits based on personal electric transportation incidents is a real thing. A person being a friend or family member does not necessarily make you immune from lawsuits--don't kid yourself.

The best way to politely decline is to tell them it takes time to have any skills and there really isn't such thing as a quick test ride for a novice. The most they can hope for, usually, is to stand on it for a minute, not really going anywhere, but still getting a feel for it, so they don't have any unrealistic expectations of taking off and suddenly riding like you.

One other scenario is possible--the "novice" could actually be experienced and will take off. Say buh-bye to your wheel. But at least you've made someone very happy!

I am a professional EUC trainer, so I am prepared to deal with all of these issues. If you're in the Los Angeles area and want a demo or a training session, whether a first timer, or whatever your skill level may be, look me up!

1 hour ago, 3euc said:

Knowing how to ride an EUC yourself is one thing. Knowing how to train someone is another skill. I don't recommend putting anyone on your EUC, unless you have some experience training people on self-balancing devices. Certainly not on open concrete, maybe on grass. It's extremely risky, both to their safety and your wheel. If you do, be prepared to have your wheel dropped by a stranger, who will likely offer nothing in return for the damage, except maybe an apology, if you're lucky. And be prepared to deal with an injured person who will blame you and potentially may seek medical costs from you. It could include the injury of a bystander and/or property damage. Things can go bad in an instant. Lawsuits based on personal electric transportation incidents is a real thing.

I guess getting sued for anything and everything is a cultural issue of the US of America and does not really apply to most of the rest of the world. Equipped with common sense but without experience of training people I neither can see nor have experienced a particular risk in putting any(!) willing person on an EUC, as long as I am close by and the person is not above my own weight class. Of course I assume that the EUC may be dropped and this is obviously on my own risk as they cannot possibly know. My EUC drops a couple of times a day anyways when I play or practice and indeed it happens with beginners once in a while too. I wonder if any of us wouldn't know that :whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

I guess getting sued for anything and everything is a cultural issue of the US of America and does not really apply to most of the rest of the world. Equipped with common sense but without experience of training people I neither can see nor have experienced a particular risk in putting any(!) willing person on an EUC, as long as I am close by and the person is not above my own weight class. Of course I assume that the EUC may be dropped and this is obviously on my own risk as they cannot possibly know. My EUC drops a couple of times a day anyways when I play or practice and indeed it happens with beginners once in a while too. I wonder if any of us wouldn't know that :whistling:

it is definitely a US thing lmao... suing somebody else because you fell??? thats the most ludicrous thing ive ever heard.. however property damage or them hurting someone else are real risks.. i dont drop my wheels so would never let a stranger do it, but if i so happen to be on my ninebot teaching somebody already then of course any random is welcome to come try and get a laugh, ive let dozens of people attempt to ride the ninebot, none have been able to stand on it before they say thanks and walk away lol

@Mono  You are correct! It's a distinctly American thing to be frivolously sued. Hooray! The rest of the world can probably relax more about it. You seem to have experience training people and accept that your wheel may be dropped, so I don't imagine you'd have any issues with putting someone on your EUC. Also, I assume you're offering a V8 which sounds like it's already been dropped countless times, with a value of maybe $400, plus may have a protective cover. Totally different story for someone with a $2000+ wheel that is never or seldom dropped. Add in having no experience training and there is far more at stake, particularly if in the U.S.

50 minutes ago, 3euc said:

Totally different story for someone with a $2000+ wheel that is never or seldom dropped.

...unless of course they own half a dozen of those to choose from...and are not being obsessively possessive about them :D

A wheel that I am afraid of letting drop is IMHO a questionable investment, but of course to each their own.

4 hours ago, 3euc said:

The most they can hope for, usually, is to stand on it for a minute, not really going anywhere, but still getting a feel for it, so they don't have any unrealistic expectations of taking off and suddenly riding like you.

I have had several novices riding the EUC within minutes, both, children and adults. I would say almost 10% of those who want to try fall into this category.

4 hours ago, 3euc said:

I am a professional EUC trainer, so I am prepared to deal with all of these issues. If you're in the Los Angeles area and want a demo or a training session, whether a first timer, or whatever your skill level may be, look me up!

OK, I can see where the fear of amateurs teaching themselves comes from then :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mono said:

A wheel that I am afraid of letting drop is IMHO a questionable investment, but of course to each their own.

idk i dont want to drop anything that i paid for... i know theyre not as expensive but try asking if someone on their motorbike is afraid to drop it, or someone with a mint condition car is afraid to scratch it.. my galaxy S10 only cost 400 dollars from my provider but that definitely does not mean i want some kid playing with it and dropping it lol, just like i dont want anyone dropping my 3000 dollar wheel.. i keep one beater wheel just for the purpose of letting people use it because its a cheapo ninebot one that was my training wheel, any wheel that i actually ride i dont want to ride around with any damage, but then again thats just my personality i am OCD about keeping everything i have in perfect condition

On 9/8/2019 at 11:31 PM, Rywokast said:

idk i dont want to drop anything that i paid for...

Really, not a ball? My point is that some things we buy are built and meant to be dropped and some are not. An EUC that is not built to be dropped is not for me. If my regular usage of an EUC cannot include dropping it I am only moderately interested. No playing, no off roading, that's too moderate of an excitement for me.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:31 PM, Rywokast said:

i know theyre not as expensive but try asking if someone on their motorbike is afraid to drop it

right I thought about that too. A long time ago a friend of mine dropped the 10k 1200cc brand new Yamaha street motorbike of his brother at walking speed. That's not a bike which is meant to be dropped, but I was extremely impressed by the brothers reaction. He took out the black varnish, covered the scratches and moved on. Cool.

Edited by Mono

36 minutes ago, Mono said:

Really, not a ball? My point is that some things buy we are built and meant to be dropped and some are not. An EUC that is not built to be dropped is not for me. If my regular usage of an EUC cannot include dropping it I am only moderately interested. No playing, no off roading, that's too moderate of an excitement for me.

the entire purpose of a ball is to be dropped.. not that im into sports so i wouldnt buy one anyways lol.. a 3000 dollar machine with electronic components and large lithium batteries that your life can depend upon is not something that is meant to be dropped, not to mention.. it would ruin the aesthetic. if i want another beater euc ill get another beater euc, my ninebot one currently is just that.. but im not about to go around town on a vehicle thats smashed up or looks like trash thats just embarassing to me.. i would either sell it and buy a new one or use it as a dedicated beater if that were the case

42 minutes ago, Mono said:

right I thought about that too. A long time ago a friend of mine dropped the 10k 1200cc brand new Yamaha street motorbike of his brother at walking speed. That's not a bike which is meant to be dropped, but I was extremely impressed by the brothers reaction. He took out the black varnish, covered the scratches and moved on. Cool.

wow, hes lucky that his brother has that kind of attitude haha, thats definitely not the normal reaction you would get.. if it were me i might have dropped him xD

56 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

it would ruin the aesthetic. 

This.

Call me a tart, picky, OCD or whatever. I don't want scratches or damage on my wheel even if I did them, let alone done by someone else.

Re dropping the superbike, I have had plenty and none of them would tolerate a drop, even whilst static, without causing a lot of £ in damage. Fairings, brake/clutch levers, exhausts etc are not meant to have 100+ kilos loaded onto them. So the owner you are talking about was very lucky indeed. That said, I wouldn't even want black varnish and scratches on a brand new bike either. He's cool with it, great, but I wouldn't want (or afford) to take the hit on resale.

• Like 1

Wow, many of you are very generous with your time and wheels! (not me)

After 4 years of people on the street asking the same monotonous questions, these days I give quick & short answers (sometimes right, sometimes wrong), while I'm quickly trying to escape from them. I might stop and answer the occasional guy who is legitimately interested (happy to answer those), but this is very rare in my experience (immediate disqualifier first question is "how much is that?").

If anyone asks me to try the wheel? Either no speak-a English, or I-didn't-hear-you-cuz-I-always-have-an-earbud (the great anti-social tool!) in-my-ear-listening-to-music, and again, quickly try to escape, riding off.

Also, carrying myself this way is possible because this is the general attitude of New Yorkers, but isn't Philly similar too @iEatRice?

giphy.gif

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

Only two perfect strangers managed to try my wheel: a beautiful young lady whom I convinced  to have a quick try, and a young drunk lad who needed to top up afterwards. I am not a good euc trainer so none of them got anything really useful from the experience anyway, but we both had a good time. Ish.

I am happy to have an experienced user try my wheel in a group ride etc ... though

Most of times people got scared off anyway: motorcycle gear, headphones on, being a member of ethnic minority, hiphop / hazy looks, bad english, whatever ...

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

immediate disqualifier first question is "how much is that?"

very recognisable, it all comes down to the price these days.. 

the most heard question, or remarks :

Wow that must be expensive.. !!!

what is the price..?

And after a while it get's boring I answer often  they come in all prices and colours Sir : yeah but this must be really expensive.. hmm  it is one of the more expensive ones, it has a big range and high end speed, this is  a more high end wheel Sir but you can learn on much cheaper ones.. 

Yeah but what is the price?   Depending on when I rest or not, or if the guy seems genuinely interested I feel like continuing the conversation but the "PRICE" question get's annoying.. Not the experience, not the new green commuting style nor the fun factor ;) wins in general..                                                                                                                                                                                    But then you get those amazing conversations like I had a few days ago, where you end up talking to the guy for a half hour or so , which is very rewarding for both.. :thumbup:

I find asking for the price perfectly legit. After all, if someone is interested in anything which they could buy, the price is quite relevant for most people. So to know whether it costs 300 or 3000 bucks is for most people relevant for the further conversation about a toy. Here the price came directly up even in the discussion as to whether EUCers tolerate their EUC to be dropped. Even if I personally would not care how much it costs, I would still be interested to know the price for technological insight. It gives strong hints as to what can or cannot be under the hood of the device.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, 3euc said:

Knowing how to ride an EUC yourself is one thing. Knowing how to train someone is another skill. I don't recommend putting anyone on your EUC, unless you have some experience training people on self-balancing devices. Certainly not on open concrete, maybe on grass. It's extremely risky, both to their safety and your wheel. If you do, be prepared to have your wheel dropped by a stranger, who will likely offer nothing in return for the damage, except maybe an apology, if you're lucky. And be prepared to deal with an injured person who will blame you and potentially may seek medical costs from you. It could include the injury of a bystander and/or property damage. Things can go bad in an instant. Lawsuits based on personal electric transportation incidents is a real thing. A person being a friend or family member does not necessarily make you immune from lawsuits--don't kid yourself.

The best way to politely decline is to tell them it takes time to have any skills and there really isn't such thing as a quick test ride for a novice. The most they can hope for, usually, is to stand on it for a minute, not really going anywhere, but still getting a feel for it, so they don't have any unrealistic expectations of taking off and suddenly riding like you.

One other scenario is possible--the "novice" could actually be experienced and will take off. Say buh-bye to your wheel. But at least you've made someone very happy!

NYC trainers?

It's all in perception. If you ride with absolutely no gear on then people will just look the EUC as if its just a little fun toy. But wear a helmet and other serious protection and all of a sudden they are viewing it as a one-wheel motorcycle. That still doesn't stop the dare-devils and/or arrogant types to want to try.  I usually first ask them "Do you know how to ride a regular unicycle?" and then they immediately back off on trying. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

It's all in perception. If you ride with absolutely no gear on then people will just look the EUC as if its just a little fun toy. But wear a helmet and other serious protection and all of a sudden they are viewing it as a one-wheel motorcycle. That still doesn't stop the dare-devils and/or arrogant types to want to try.  I usually first ask them "Do you know how to ride a regular unicycle?" and then they immediately back off on trying. 

haha just say it's way harder than a regular unicycle,, even though it's actually much easier

• Like 1

There is a nice skatepark and BMX track near me, and I do want to venture down near it at some point. Not to ride the BMX track, but just because all the ground surface around it is really nice and smooth for riding on. But I just know some of the guys there will ask about my Z10 and want to try it. While I'm sure some of them would probably be more capable than me! There is no way I'm standing there watching somebody throw my wheel down the road if they can't manage it, or get cocky on it :)