Will you lend your wheels to curious pedestrians?

iEatRice

So I live in Philadelphia, and almost every time I ride my V8 on streets I got yelled and stopped sometimes by the pedestrians. Most of them just nicely asked me what my wheel was and I was happy to answer their questions. BUT! The most frustrated thing was I might encountered some very rude people and they stop me not to ask but just wanna try themselves. Usually I just say no and ride away but I sometimes got sweared at.

This reminds me a worst experience I have ever had back to 4 years in Atlantic City, NJ. I was riding my old Airwheel X8 on the road and I tried to take a break. A bunch of drunk teenagers came out from nowhere and tired to help themselves to ride my wheel w/o my permission. I stopped them and they dropped my X8 on the ground very hard. They even intended to start a fight with me just because I didn't allow them to ride my wheel! WTF?

Guys this is my first time being in an EUC forum. I learned to ride EUCs back in 2014 but I never knew anyone else around me riding it. What would you react to such behavior? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I never let any stranger try it. You don't want to break your wheel and you for sure don't want to be responsible for them slamming into the pavement.

what would you say to refuse them? simply say no? I got cursed for so many times just because I said no:huh:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

I used to get asked these questions but ever since I've started wearing full motorcycle gear from the waist up, people don't talk to me anymore... :confused1:

Yeah me too, when I was riding my NB1e+ I was stoped by random people who wants to know more about it or even try it. Often I answer if I have the time and I even let some people try it. I think it's always nice and I would have liked someone to let me tried it before. And don't get fooled, people are always really affraid on it, they mostly like it but they're affraid to go too fast or without grabbing you. So your wheel may not fall and it doesn't get long before they want to go down on the floor.

But lately with the gears up, people don't stop me as much on my Tesla.

Once.  

I was riding around the tennis court waiting for my kid's activity in the park to finish up.  A 13-year old came by on an analog unicycle.  He had never tried an EUC before and he was able to ride it within 90 second!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I used to get asked these questions but ever since I've started wearing full motorcycle gear from the waist up, people don't talk to me anymore... :confused1:

It seems a good solution. Maybe I'll buy some scary ass motorcycle gears to scare people away:D

• Like 2

You could always say something like: "It's easy if you know how to ride a unicycle! ..you do know how to ride a unicycle right?"

Optionally followed up in a very loud voice by: "Hey everybody! This guy doesn't know how to ride a unicycle!" <Point and laugh obnoxiously for effect>

Edited by Hatchet
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, iEatRice said:

It seems a good solution. Maybe I'll buy some scary ass motorcycle gears to scare people away:D

Or wear this. ;)

48524289826_08885e492c_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

I won't lend my wheel to rude strangers, but I have happily let polite strangers try the wheel dozens of times without any issue ever.

EDIT: indeed once a drunk guy tried to help himself using even physical force trying to get hold of the wheel. Needless to say that he did not succeed.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

hell naw, they gonna pay to replace a panel in the likely event that they drop it?? back when i was riding my learner wheel the ninebot one i did let quite a few people ride it in the park and around my house when i was practicing because i didnt care about the condition of it... but since my initial wheel i keep all of my expensive EUCs in perfect condition and would never let a stranger touch let alone ride it lol,,, not that any would ever even get the opportunity to ask me as im riding much quicker on the road or bike lanes mostly now

On 8/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, iEatRice said:

A bunch of drunk teenagers came out from nowhere and tired to help themselves to ride my wheel w/o my permission.

I got that too in the park from an 8 years old boy who at first pretended to weight it then try to grab it and ride it.

I would be open to having others try the wheel as long as they demonstrated how to ride one. In group rides, I am happy to share because others also let me try theirs and most importantly they know how to use one.