Why the NEED to Lecture Gearless stranger on an EUC?

Hsiang

48 minutes ago, Nic said:

Anyone choosing not to wear a helmet should try headbutting the ground without a helmet to see if they still think its a good idea. If they are going to be riding at low speed (10 mph or less) in traffic free areas (not on the road) then the risk is pretty low, so it might be alright, but it comes down to your own risk appetite. Its much easier to be injured in a fall than you think and this becomes increasingly likely as you get older.

A better idea would be to go out running and throw yourself on to the ground at fastest running speed possible. And then see if you want to do it at a faster speed on an electric unicycle.

Just now, ir_fuel said:

But why would you want to do that? That hurts! :D 

When I was a kid I liked running fast and also as a kid spending too much time in front of his Commodore 64 I was a bit clumsy.
I fell running a few times and man... the hands. ALWAYS THE HANDS! Same on my longboard and same on my bike.

I guess that's why I wear the gloves. :efee612b4b: Scarred for life.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 5:20 AM, ir_fuel said:

So after Big Pharma we now have Big Helmet.

Ok.

That was 1999, and yea, like big pharma, big oil, big whatever... WE DO HAVE motorcycle helmet law BS predicated on FAKE SCIENCE, similar to what's being proposed for CO2 taxation upon the food source of life on earth.  But go ahead and insist on your attempt to shame others... you'll fall and your helmet won't save you the road rash.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:42 AM, ir_fuel said:

The only way to break your neck with a helmet is when you are strapped in a race car and doing a high speed crash, whereby the seatbelts hold your entire body, shoulders included in place and your head including helmet is thrown forwards. That's why HANS devices are mandatory now (and I'll never get in a race car without them).  If you claim that you break your neck because your heavy helmet bent your head in a certain way on impact, I wonder what the head would have looked like without a helmet. But then again, after browsing that scientific masterpiece that you wrote, I don't think it's very useful to have a discussion based on facts with you about these things:  No they don't. Unless you are using a car helmet on a motorcycle. And most certainly not open face helmets. That's just a lie. You could opt for a full-face helmet with closed visor maybe? And then some statistics that don't make sense at all What do registrations say, if those people leave their bikes at home? Oh really? And let's not get started about the nonsense you wrote about why seat belts, air bags or car insurance shouldn't be mandatory.  What a point to make on why poor people shouldn't pay car insurance while driving cars: So someone crashes into your car and is to blame, but hey "it's your risk, your loss!" so you just pay up for it. Not their problem. I'm sorry, but for me you have zero credibility in this thread.

Pffft... you took my post 100% out of context.  It was about motorcycle helmets.  And yes there is SOME relevance.  But to act like it was 100% directed toward EUC's is dishonest of you in order to discredit me.  Shame on you. Try posting your own points rather than hating on others.  

On 8/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

When I was a kid I liked running fast and also as a kid spending too much time in front of his Commodore 64 I was a bit clumsy.
I fell running a few times and man... the hands. ALWAYS THE HANDS! Same on my longboard and same on my bike.
I guess that's why I wear the gloves. :efee612b4b: Scarred for life.

Same here... thus the prior stated priorities for equipment when choosing to ride faster than 15mph...  as well as prior to gaining 15mph confidence.  These are:

1. Wrist pads

2. Elbow pads

3. Knee pads

4. Helmet

Oh, add #1.5:  Pocket Mirror!

When choosing to ride roads with possible traffic I carry a 4.75" mirror in my pocket (and hold it up as a rear-view).  Those helmet clip on mirrors are too small and they take too much focus away from the road in order to gain sight of what's behind.  The pocket mirror helps even when staying under 25 mph (typical of wrist-pads-only).

4 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

It was about motorcycle helmets.  And yes there is SOME relevance.  But to act like it was 100% directed toward EUC's is dishonest of you in order to discredit me.  Shame on you. Try posting your own points rather than hating on others.  

Your post was on motorcycle helmets, so was my reaction. If you spread nonsense on the internet that might push people to do dangerous things (aka ride without seatbelts and helmets because you found some way of explaining why this is actually safer) and you expect not to get any reaction on that, well I'm sorry but that's not how it works

And trust me, I'm not required to discredit you. You can do that all by yourself.

But I'll leave it there instead of "hating" (aka not agreeing with someone's point of view ....) on others.

4 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I have one stuck on my glove. Once you are used to that you don't want to mix with traffic without one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

When choosing to ride roads with possible traffic I carry a 4.75" mirror in my pocket (and hold it up as a rear-view).  Those helmet clip on mirrors are too small and they take too much focus away from the road in order to gain sight of what's behind.  The pocket mirror helps even when staying under 25 mph (typical of wrist-pads-only).

Maybe I can have a nice big pole with a mirror sticking up/out from my EUC. :efee612b4b:
Or use one of those that people have on their wrist.
For me my best protection is riding defensively and always assuming the worst. A mirror would definitely help!
Every time I ride with someone and they cut a corner or ride the inside of a blind curve that belongs to incoming traffic they get an earful from me.
Path, bushes, curve. Slow down, keep to your side, assume someone is coming at speed and cutting to improve their line.
Crossing. Assume cars won't stop.
Bike path / pedestrian lane. Assume pedestrians / cyclists have earphones. Always use your bell anyway to announce passing. Hand held strobe at night.
etc etc... 

But I would never lecture a stranger. YOU TURNED WRONG YOU RAN A RED YOU DID THIS YOU DID THAT.
Unless they wanted advice that is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Your post was on motorcycle helmets, so was my reaction. If you spread nonsense on the internet that might push people to do dangerous things (aka ride without seatbelts and helmets because you found some way of explaining why this is actually safer) and you expect not to get any reaction on that, well I'm sorry but that's not how it works

And trust me, I'm not required to discredit you. You can do that all by yourself.

But I'll leave it there instead of "hating" (aka not agreeing with someone's point of view ....) on others.

I have one stuck on my glove. Once you are used to that you don't want to mix with traffic without one.

Yes in the United States we have been abusing the word hate for quite some time now. 

Hate=  A people or person that disagrees with me 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Fair enough.  Though note I've not mentioned seat belts and I do hold to my past research and perception that helmets can be dangerous for a number of reasons.  Also, that helmets are safe/helpful for some conditions and not other conditions.  Relating to EUCs, I don't have any impression that helmets help safety though I sometimes choose to where one when intending to ride fast.  Why?  Well the chin strap keeps my hat from blowing off of my head. 

14 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Maybe I can have a nice big pole with a mirror sticking up/out from my EUC. :efee612b4b:
Or use one of those that people have on their wrist.
For me my best protection is riding defensively and always assuming the worst. A mirror would definitely help!
Every time I ride with someone and they cut a corner or ride the inside of a blind curve that belongs to incoming traffic they get an earful from me.
Path, bushes, curve. Slow down, keep to your side, assume someone is coming at speed and cutting to improve their line.
Crossing. Assume cars won't stop.
Bike path / pedestrian lane. Assume pedestrians / cyclists have earphones. Always use your bell anyway to announce passing. Hand held strobe at night.
etc etc... 

But I would never lecture a stranger. YOU TURNED WRONG YOU RAN A RED YOU DID THIS YOU DID THAT.
Unless they wanted advice that is. 

I've not found a mirror with a wrist strap and haven't (yet?) found one that easily mounts onto a wrist pad.  I'm open to the concept.  Meanwhile, the 4.75" round mirror fits in my back pocket and gives a very nice rear view when I want it. 

12 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Yes in the United States we have been abusing the word hate for quite some time now. 

Hate=  A people or person that disagrees with me 

Also, sometimes a miss-perception.  I do appreciate ir_fuel's response to separate our disagreement from the interpretations of disputed data.  Sadly nobody has good data anymore due to big-pharma style manipulation of what's publicly available.  Consider it analogous to globalist desire to tax the food source of life on earth, CO2.  Try to find the raw data to plug into my Matlab model and discover the biggest scientific scandal in history.  FWIW, I do have 14 patents: 9 are deep-learning/AI, 1 is a propeller, and 3 are radar-wind-turbine and weather related.  The other one is a secure ad-hoc networks aka "battle rocks". 

Edited by Elliott Reitz
( to :
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Fair enough.  Though note I've not mentioned seat belts and I do hold to my past research and perception that helmets can be dangerous for a number of reasons.  Also, that helmets are safe/helpful for some conditions and not other conditions.  Relating to EUCs, I don't have any impression that helmets help safety though I sometimes choose to where one when intending to ride fast.  Why?  Well the chin strap keeps my hat from blowing off of my head. 

I've not found a mirror with a wrist strap and haven't (yet?) found one that easily mounts onto a wrist pad.  I'm open to the concept.  Meanwhile, the 4.75" round mirror fits in my back pocket and gives a very nice rear view when I want it. 

Also, sometimes a miss-perception.  I do appreciate ir_fuel's response to separate our disagreement from the interpretations of disputed data.  Sadly nobody has good data anymore due to big-pharma style manipulation of what's publicly available.  Consider it analogous to globalist desire to tax the food source of life on earth, CO2.  Try to find the raw data to plug into my Matlab model and discover the biggest scientific scandal in history.  FWIW, I do have 14 patents (9 are deep-learning/AI, 1 is a propeller, and 3 are radar-wind-turbine and weather related.  The other one is a secure ad-hoc networks aka "battle rocks". 

:cry2:

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:39 AM, Nic said:

@Elliott Reitz you are one seriously misguided and ignorant person and not someone anyone should be taking advise from. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)

:laughbounce2:

You should wear airbags ans shoes so when you crash you blow up like the Michelin man.  ;)     Of course you may choose to ride barefoot instead! 

{+}Oh and of course I advise carrying bags for ####.  You can see the dispenser on the front and the bounty haning on the back. :laughbounce2:

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elliott Reitz said:

:laughbounce2:

You should wear airbags ans shoes so when you crash you blow up like the Michelin man.  ;)     Of course you may choose to ride barefoot instead! 

{+}Oh and of course I advise carrying bags for ####.  You can see the dispenser on the front and the bounty haning on the back. :laughbounce2:

I walk my French bulldog every night ( when home) using a Segway mini. I learned the hard way the first couple of nights that when even that little 20 pound dog shifted directions quickly she could jerk me off that machine. Those two dogs would have no problem yanking you off your wheel while you were distracted with your phone. Of course you were only going 3-5 mph so you would only damage your wheel.  Perhaps scrape your foot pretty good as well.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I walk my French bulldog every night ( when home) using a Segway mini. I learned the hard way the first couple of nights that when even that little 20 pound dog shifted directions quickly she could jerk me off that machine. Those two dogs would have no problem yanking you off your wheel while you were distracted with your phone. Of course you were only going 3-5 mph so you would only damage your wheel.  Perhaps scrape your foot pretty good as well.  

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Your Segway mini = dangerous:  I have a hoverboard with 9" wheels (very similar to your Segway) that I used before going to the e+ for running the dogs. Those are seriously dangerous compared to an EUC!  (after some EUC skills gained).  Its primarily vulnerable to potholes & cracks tripping one side giving a twist to jump from.  And is truly terrible off-road.  EUCs are waaay better!  For dog-run EUC selection, I favor my Segway Ninebot One e+ over my Gotway MSX 100V.  The e+'s top speed isn't as fast as the dogs can run but it is faster then they like to run for distance.  The e+ is also more maneuverable at the slow speeds than my MSX 100V.   As for future wheel purchase selection I think the Gotway Tesla appears best since it has a 16" wheel and running dogs on the grass is great.  The MCM5 is only 14", which seems small for grass and gravel. 

Equipment (the Dog setup):  The dogs are roped together, and I tuck a knotted section of their rope under a bungee cord that's around my waist, so their rope can pull out.  Whenever either of them stop to fill the #### bag I usually can stop faster than the bungee pulls out.  By grabbing the rope I can seriously pull them no matter how hard they want to stop if I think that's necessary (its not but adds safety factor for crossing roads).  I most often grab their ropes for training the dogs so stay to my side, not in front of me.  Prong collars are helpful for training the dogs (running positions without much pulling).   I do think the dog leash training is huge, and its sad how often I see someone with a big dog that pulls them, like their arms must hurt.  

EUC Pulling a load: There's a learning curve for pulling things, I've pulled my GF's bike up a hill, and also pulled roller-blade-rider up a hill. Plus the dog-####-stops begin with a pull on the bungee with a choice to grab it and how hard to pull them. 

Brother my German Shepherd would see something distracting and go in the opposite direction and jerk you’re happy behind right off your wheel so fast that you couldn’t say help. LOL 

I disagree with you also on what is safer. The Segway mini is not meant to go off road anyway or over potholes. Our EUC’s don’t particularly like deep potholes either. 

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

Brother my German Shepherd would see something distracting and go in the opposite direction and jerk you’re happy behind right off your wheel so fast that you couldn’t say help. LOL

Maybe you missed what I said about the dog setup above where their rope is "quick release" from my waist-bungee whenever either dog pulls too hard/abrupt.  My Husky is capable of being a jerk like that too.  However,  I consider the "quick release" aspect more of a benefit to their safety than mine.  Like if off road deep grass trip a peddle, the dogs can pull away quickly. 

I disagree with you also on what is safer. The Segway mini is not meant to go off road anyway or over potholes. Our EUC’s don’t particularly like deep potholes either. 

I am surprised you find a Segway mini safer than an EUC, especially with your list of EUCs you own.   As for my 9" hoverboard, my GF still uses it (she's still scared of the EUC).  I've seen her jump off of it at full speed more times than I ever did.  Thank God she's so strong and fit and hasn't been hurt on it.  With all the wheels you have listed for your profile here ( EUC: KS16S, KS18XL, Nikola+, KS16X, Z10, MSX, Mten3), which one would you recommend most for someone like me who may need to replace my e+?  I have 623 miles and 123 hours on the e+ (average 5 mph).

By the way, my dog (the husky) gets 5 to 10 miles/day via EUC.  My GF's dog is the cockapoo.  He does the same when he's here (she's on travel for another 3 weeks). 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

The Segway is undisputedly far less safe than an EUC for walking a dog. 

I have a mini pro and a mini plus. The center steering is extremely dangerous when affected by exterbal disturbances(potholes, dog pulling you). If you hit a pothole on a Segway you usually only hit one wheel, which will lurch your center of gravity to one side and accidentally cause you to touch the steering column and turn unexpectedly. This often leads to an unplanned dismount. 

Walking a dog that tries to pull you will lead to this unexpected hitting the steering column as you try to regain your balance and causing you to twist counter to the direction you wish to go causing a unplanned dismount. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The Segway is undisputedly far less safe than an EUC for walking a dog. 

I have a mini pro and a mini plus. The center steering is extremely dangerous when affected by exterbal disturbances(potholes, dog pulling you). If you hit a pothole on a Segway you usually only hit one wheel, which will lurch your center of gravity to one side and accidentally cause you to touch the steering column and turn unexpectedly. This often leads to an unplanned dismount. 

Walking a dog that tries to pull you will lead to this unexpected hitting the steering column as you try to regain your balance and causing you to twist counter to the direction you wish to go causing a unplanned dismount. 

I disagree with you. I own both also. Don’t hit a pothole with a Segway mini. Simple. 

38 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Maybe you missed what I said about the dog setup above where their rope is "quick release" from my waist-bungee whenever either dog pulls too hard/abrupt.  My Husky is capable of being a jerk like that too.  However,  I consider the "quick release" aspect more of a benefit to their safety than mine.  Like if off road deep grass trip a peddle, the dogs can pull away quickly. 

I am surprised you find a Segway mini safer than an EUC, especially with your list of EUCs you own.   As for my 9" hoverboard, my GF still uses it (she's still scared of the EUC).  I've seen her jump off of it at full speed more times than I ever did.  Thank God she's so strong and fit and hasn't been hurt on it.  With all the wheels you have listed for your profile here ( EUC: KS16S, KS18XL, Nikola+, KS16X, Z10, MSX, Mten3), which one would you recommend most for someone like me who may need to replace my e+?  I have 623 miles and 123 hours on the e+ (average 5 mph).

By the way, my dog (the husky) gets 5 to 10 miles/day via EUC.  My GF's dog is the cockapoo.  He does the same when he's here (she's on travel for another 3 weeks). 

Get the KS16X or Nikola.  Both are awesome 

By the way the reason why I like the Segway for walking the dog is because I can stop on it and not move while the dog takes a dump. I can’t do that with a wheel.  I can stop but it’s not the same. 

Edited by Patton250

12 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I disagree with you. I own both also. Don’t hit a pothole with a Segway mini. Simple. 

Your latter comment affirms my stance then. If you have to not do something/go out of your way to avoid something to make the Segway mini safer then it’s not actually safer. I don’t have to avoid a pothole on my EUC to make it safer.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

... the reason why I like the Segway for walking the dog is because I can stop on it and not move while the dog takes a dump. I can’t do that with a wheel.  I can stop but it’s not the same. 

hmmm,  YUCK MAN! 

You SHOULD get off your Segway and scoop the poop.    Which makes it the same unless you're leaving poop in your neighborhood or on the road.  Ever roll over one of your own dog's poops from a day before? 

:barf:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

hmmm,  YUCK MAN! 

You SHOULD get off your Segway and scoop the poop.    Which makes it the same unless you're leaving poop in your neighborhood or on the road.  Ever roll over one of your own dog's poops from a day before? 

:barf:

I do get off of it and pick up the poop. That’s the whole point. If you have a wheel then you have to let it tip over and lay it on the ground to do that. It’s 1000 times more convenient to use a Segway. 

I do get off of it and pick up the poop. That’s the whole point. If you have a wheel then you have to let it tip over and lay it on the ground to do that. It’s 1000 times more convenient to use a Segway. 

Good that you scoop the poop.  My e+ easily leans forward on its nose and I tie my poo-bags on its back... which was visible in my previous vid post. 

36 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Uhhh I can think of numerous times when my Segway runs off or rolls away because the ground isn’t completely level. In fact I fell and scraped up my knee trying to catch a runaway Segway that i dismounted from and thought it would stand still but the ground wasn’t level. Much bigger concern than scratching up a wheel laying it down on dirt or something.

If you’re skilled enough you keep one foot on the wheel and can easily scoop up the poop/one legged ride. 

If you’re on grass absolutely no problem to put the wheel on its side on the soft grass. 

3 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Uhhh I can think of numerous times when my Segway runs off or rolls away because the ground isn’t completely level. In fact I fell and scraped up my knee trying to catch a runaway Segway that i dismounted from and thought it would stand still but the ground wasn’t level. Much bigger concern than scratching up a wheel laying it down on dirt or something.

If you’re skilled enough you keep one foot on the wheel and can easily scoop up the poop/one legged ride. 

If you’re on grass absolutely no problem to put the wheel on its side on the soft grass. 

I’m skilled enough. I’ll use the Segway-Ninebot to walk my dog and you use your wheel.  K? ;-)

Edited by Patton250

On 8/11/2019 at 2:50 AM, LucasD said:

I gave up on headphones, because it is hard to put with a full face helmet ;)

Yet I would say wrist guard is number one priority. And in hard riding conditions I was many times heat on my shins.  So not sure if shinny's guards are not a better choice over knee guards ;)

P.S> I had abrasion on half my face (that is hard to heal) and dislocated shoulder, but it was a bike jump crash with normal helmet.

Sounds like your need galaxy buds. They work perfectly with full face helmets.