New Design Ideas for Future Generation EUC's

Ok here is the feature you never realized you always wanted:

Pedals that ascend/descend automatically when the trolley handle is raised or lowered.

::: boom :::

EUC companies, are you reading this?  Make this happen!

Actually that reminds me - how about with new wheels they design an adjustable pedal height setting where riders can customize how high they want their pedals? I wonder if the firmware might need to be tweaked at different heights though?

In addition, all makers should agree on a standardized pedal mount system and provide small, medium, large, and @Smoother sized pedal lengths.  That way we can order wheel X in a medium, or swap favorite pedals between brands.  Or maybe have an adjustable sliding extension like how those strap-on rollerskates are like.  The arch area doesn't need support so the pedal can split there to expand out.

My dream euc would be one you could easily disconnect your pedals and connect the euc between the forks of a fat bike with a modified bracket and convert the bike to an electric bike then when you dont feel like riding a bike pop off the wheel put the pedals back on and glide away. Been thinking about this concept for a while and think it could be done , as for control of the motor you could have a port to plug into on the euc that would be wired to a hand throttle on the bike , when connected to this port it would disable the gyro and just make the wheel a throttle controlled motor.It would be mind blowing to pull up on a bicycle and park ,disconnect the wheel and ride away on it.

Charging in the way, like a phone, no need to power off to plugin a power bank. Also use the euc like a powerbank with differents voltages outputs

Diversity, light ones for short and slow transportation and big ones for long travel and high speed.

Second wheel like others said could be useful for big and fast ones (preventing fails thanks to the redundancy)

Handle designed for catching up it on jumps or falls.

Smaller version of euc designed for one foot (wearing both foots)

Improve the capacity of manage the air time, easing the jumps or lift.

Cafe racer version, frame exposed without plastic enclosure. Is better for cleaning, repair, cheaper to build and produce less contaminants

Further to that "cafe racer" idea, I wonder what the most minimalist one could design an EUC.  Maybe use chromoly pedal supports like on a bicycle to make them narrower, design an aluminum tubing framework to be able to mount a rear and top splash guard fender, integrate a sealed plastic housing box to place the control board and batteries like side saddles.  Cover those with minimal padding for the legs and crash protection.  I'm imagining like an open air, minimalistic skeleton frame like you see on a dune buggy...  You'd want the frame strong enough though to survive tumbles...

HTB1j6ieLpXXXXagXVXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

I wonder if we will ever move away from plastic shells.  You don't see cars, motorcycles, mopeds entirely made of plastic.  I guess one has to weigh the cost and advantages.  Metal would be more expensive but durable.  These wheels would likely be more crash resistant.  Weight might be increased with metal as compared to plastic so that's a downside.  

Agreed @Hunka Hunka Burning Love in fact I wrote this comment in another thread a little while back:

Part of me wonders why they are being built with the shell paradigm in the first place. Obviously electronics, motor and battery need to be weatherproof, so seal them in containers of some description, but they could almost be mounted into a rollcage style structure of aluminum tubes with padding mounted in the right places for contact with legs and modular mudguards that can flex and be replaced.

EUCs spend most of their lives in constant fear of the immediate potential to be bowled across the ground at speed, yet current designs have more in common with a kitchen toaster than a bike or dune buggy.

I might do a little sketch now.

I did a sketch, not show worthy. I've been thicking about CADing it up and working with a bicycle frame builder to try and create some sort of brazed aluminum truss-like chassis. Don't want to rip apart my one and only EUC as I use it on the daily, but if anyone has a spare hanging around it could be a fun experiment. 

It likely has to do with that cost of mass production I'm guessing?  Plastic shell frame design is quite expensive.  I remember @esaj mentioning it can be tens of thousands of dollars to design and have the molds made to cast the plastic shells so it's quite an investment.  To make a tubular or stamped aluminum uni-body frame that is strong enough might be even more expensive plus damage could be more difficult to repair if the metal gets bent?  They also likely figure that the case just houses the batteries and control board so it doesn't need to be really strong.  The pedal supports are the main stress bearing element.

I just think it would be cool to see a metal frame EUC some day with plastic fairings...

harris-motorcycle-frame-facebook.jpg

Maybe if they modified the L shaped pedal support bracket to be an L on the bottom but a Y at the top, they could use the top arms to bolt on a fender and battery/control board boxes as well as handle.  As it is everything is bolted at the top part of the pedal support arms so there's where we see cracks in the plastic when the shell receives an impact.

I also hope to see one day where we can use interchangeable motors with a common shell body/control board/battery pack.  Say I want to ride my 16" one day, but then I want to go long distance riding with a 20 inch wheel.  If I could simply eject the 16" motor / tire and clip in the 20" it would be a whole different riding experience.  Smart control boards would be able to sense from the motor what the parameters are and adjust accordingly sort of like how USB devices plug in and  work.  A "smart shell" could be one that can be adapted with sliders in selective spots for different diameters of tire...

I'm no designer, but I think there's tons of different possibilities if you start thinking outside of the box...  The big problem is with more complex parts comes a higher expense, and with our limited market place I doubt we will get that far.  Who wants to spend $7000 on an EUC?

27 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I just think it would be cool to see a   Who wants to spend $7000 on an EUC?

If technology and legalization got the point where an EUC could be a real registered motor vehicle able to operator on streets and roadways. I would ! Like a real one wheeled motorcycle!

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if we will ever move away from plastic shells.  You don't see cars, motorcycles, mopeds entirely made of plastic.  I guess one has to weigh the cost and advantages.  Metal would be more expensive but durable

I like the idea of a more robust shell but there are stronger performance plastics available for injection molding EUC shells that approach the strength of a carbon fiber lay- up composite and some metals. Piper Plastics makes a plastic product called Kyron MAXseries that offers mechanical properties that sometimes meet or exceed those of metals. An EUC shell made from this polymer would greatly enhance both strength and durability. 

39473847660_b2ec82a4f5_b.jpg

I gotta stop asking that question.  :rolleyes:  There's always that one those two guys with deep pockets.  :lol:  That's true - if Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki made a super reliable EUC with all the safeties it might fetch a pretty penny from buyers.

How about something simple like leg moulded cushions?  Take a few people of varying heights, get some leg moulds and map out a general shape so the side/top of the casing can be formed to fit accordingly?  My Tesla is like standing with your legs around a box.  I know people say it takes time to get used to it, but with my Ninebot it was like no problem from day on because there is a slight inward curve to the top that matches my leg curvature.  We need these wheels to be ergonomic!  I think if my Tesla side panel was made slightly more curved in it probably wouldn't cut into my calves as much.  Would you buy a $25,000 car with seats that cut into your back?  No no, just drive it for a while, and you'll get used to it?  Memory foam baby!  I want some kinda memory foam!  :w00t2:

Oh yeah, bring on the Kyron MAX XS!  I can imagine answering the questions when people ask what my future wheel is made of.   "It's made of Kyron MAX XS.  Taken from the core of a distant dying planet and forged in Krypton's sun."  That's when the panties drop, I'm telling ya.  :efeeec645d:

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I gotta stop asking that question.  :rolleyes:  There's always that one those two guys with deep pockets.  :lol:  That's true - if Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki made a super reliable EUC with all the safeties it might fetch a pretty penny from buyers.

How about something simple like leg moulded cushions?  Take a few people of varying heights, get some leg moulds and map out a general shape so the side/top of the casing can formed to fit accordingly?  My Tesla is like standing with your legs around a box.  I know people say it takes time to get used to it, but with my Ninebot it was like no problem from day on because there is a slight inward curve to the top that matches my leg curvature.  We need these wheels to be ergonomic!  I think if my Tesla side panel was made slightly more curved in it probably wouldn't cut into my calves as much.  Would you buy a $25,000 with seats that cut into your back?  No no, just drive it for a while, and you'll get used to it?  Memory foam baby!  I want some kinda memory foam!  :w00t2:

:clap3:memory foam! Yes !! And I’m not saying that I’d rush out and impulsively buy some $7-8,000.00 EUC on a whim . (I don’t have the wealth for that unfortunately) But if there were one on the market . That passed all requirements for use on public roadways and could operate at ~45-50mph legally . It would certainly be something I’d consider financing from a dealer . ?

They could get a lot more expensive than $8,000.

Meet the 16" Bentley Faberge. Cost: $150,000.

Kourtney Kardashian already has two.  

zoom-v1-XGP2F03EN.jpg

On 4/4/2018 at 8:09 PM, Scouts Honor said:

A frame, seat, and little rear wheel that slides into/onto your EUC with those front forks. So you could ride your EUC without this rear wheel/seat, or you could hook this frame onto your EUC and still control the wheel with your feet from a seated position with two wheel stability.

16 hours ago, Steve Persona said:

connect the euc between the forks of a fat bike with a modified bracket and convert the bike to an electric bike then when you dont feel like riding a bike pop off the wheel put the pedals back on and glide away.

mobile_penny_isolated_large.jpg.8ee2610e82cb423325fcc3b5b3b194b2.jpg

I think the GeoOrbital 'MiniPenny' is 1/3 the way there...

They just got their priorities all wrong. (LOL.) :roflmao:

3 hours ago, RayRay said:

mobile_penny_isolated_large.jpg.8ee2610e82cb423325fcc3b5b3b194b2.jpg

I think the GeoOrbital 'MiniPenny' is 1/3 the way there...

They just got their priorities all wrong. (LOL.) :roflmao:

Good find. And they sell it without the front wheel?!!! We could try hooking the front forks up to an EUC. Looks like it has rear brakes too. Probably cheaper frame options out there though with same design, maybe not though.

miniPenny Bike Frame Only

$249.00

I wonder whether a new design for a trolley handle could incorporate two separate extending poles, one on the front and one on the back of the wheel, that angle towards each other like a triangle.  They would meet in the middle where there is some sort of handle that engages and locks the two together.  The extensions don't have to be straight.  They could be slightly curved.  Once the triangle is locked together, and if the handle joiner is strong, it should allow carrying and steering as needed.  The height of the handle might be an issue though...

Or maybe even two on the same side could allow you to guide the wheel better?  Maybe if the MSuper handle was tilted forwards or curved forwards that might make a difference?

Concept Drawing 1.0

dh9xn7.jpg

I've got a carry-on piece of luggage with a curved handle that looks like this.  

heys_xcase_mini_18_luggage_black_18_x_12

Archived