Which Nikola to choose?

On 1/14/2020 at 12:10 AM, Arek Kruszyński said:

What paint did you use to paint side covers?

I just sanded off the sheen with some 600 grit and then used a can of matte clear coat from dupli-color

• 1 month later...

> Which Nikola to choose?

Can someone summarize the difference between the 1800Wh $2300 Nikola w/21700 cells, and the 1845Wh $2450 Nikola w/18650 cells?  Pricing aside, why would you choose one or the other?

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Can someone summarize the difference between the 1800Wh $2300 Nikola w/21700 cells, and the 1845Wh $2450 Nikola w/18650 cells?  Pricing aside, why would you choose one or the other?

there is no discernible difference afaik.. however i would personally opt not to have the 21700 cells on a nikola as there is no benefit to them, not like on some wheels where you can manage to cram more wh in using 21700s.. the nikola has plenty of room.. the 21700 cells are larger which means there will be less of them which means there will be more current drawn per cell.. like i said, you wouldnt notice anything and on battery packs this large its absolutely not a safety issue or anything, its just given the choice i would go with 18650.. the difference would be completely negligible in this instance so i would probably go for the 21700 model as there is no way in hell 45 wh more justifies 150 bucks. identically priced 18650 hands down.. for 150 bucks more, no

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, xorbe said:

1800Wh: No battery on top allows modders to add an extra battery there*, and gives a lower center of gravity, 4p battery "only" but with 21700s.

1845Wh: 6p battery, top has a battery pack so the center of gravity is higher.

I don't think one is better than the other. Packs are easier/cheaper/faster to build with the bigger cells, I believe that's why they are used.

(* as in the 2700Wh 1rad mod adding a third 900Wh pack)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

1800Wh: No battery on top allows modders to add an extra battery there*, and gives a lower center of gravity, 4p battery "only" but with 21700s.

1845Wh: 6p battery, top has a battery pack so the center of gravity is higher.

I don't think one is better than the other. Packs are easier/cheaper/faster to build with the bigger cells, I believe that's why they are used.

(* as in the 2700Wh 1rad mod adding a third 900Wh pack)

i hadnt heard of that mod lol.. jesus, if you wanted/had the funds you could make a monster nikola haha... would probably weigh more than the monster too xD btw the 2100 wh variant of the nikola has not one but two batteries on top and its centre of gravity still felt quite low, maybe not quite as low as my ACM2 but nowhere close to an 18XL or V8.. i think because its such a wide and heavy wheel the weight is distributed very evenly, not like the 18XL which is very tall and slender with most of the battery closer to the top

• Like 1

This is little offtopic i expect Nikola refresh with "new" motor. 

Question is when. 

Official keybe.com nikola plus spec say motor "only" 1900W new motor GW use is 2500w. 

I have no nikola plus real experience anyway 1800 Wh 21700 is my (imaginary) choice. Only time can show ,what is longterm beter choice price/efectivity 18650 vs 21700 in EUC universe.   

18 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

This is little offtopic i expect Nikola refresh with "new" motor. 

Question is when. 

Official keybe.com nikola plus spec say motor "only" 1900W new motor GW use is 2500w. 

I have no nikola plus real experience anyway 1800 Wh 21700 is my (imaginary) choice. Only time can show ,what is longterm beter choice price/efectivity 18650 vs 21700 in EUC universe.   

the nikola has nothing to gain from the new motor if you ask me.. it provides a marginal torque increase and the cost of a crippled top speed.. the nikola already has as much torque as one could possibly ask for.. of course it could be tuned however they want but i dont think its really suitable for a sub 18" wheel given the size... think they just werent selling enough 21700s so they had to give some sort of refresh to their most popular wheel to push them

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2