KS16x 1st batch BT module update

Unventor

I just received an e-mail from @Jason McNeil with instructions on how to perform the BT interference fix (USB update). I'm going to try it soon.

[Edit: apart from the fact I can't find a USB thumbdrive. Having to slowly reformat a 128GB microSD in a USB adapter as FAT32]

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1

After failing to format the drive (it was too big for FAT32 - I assumed it would just get formated at the FAT32 limit), I went ahead and tried using the drive formatted as exFAT.

It seemed to work.

One thing to be aware of: the wheel now appears as a different BT device (same name), and has to be paired again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

Do we have to use a PC? 

You can use the Disk Utility on a Mac to format to FAT32, and there are probably some ways to do it on android too if that's what you're wondering? Did a quick google on it and there seemed to be the capability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magicrobots said:

You can use the Disk Utility on a Mac to format to FAT32, and there are probably some ways to do it on android too if that's what you're wondering? Did a quick google on it and there seemed to be the capability.

I did it on my PC, but it failed because the 128GB card size. Windows sets a limit of 32GB for FAT32 because they want people to use NTFS instead (as it's more efficient for large partitions), but exFAT seems to work anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, magicrobots said:

Thanks man. I have a new Mac throughout the house.  I do you have an old surface pro 3 collecting dust but every time I use it I feel like I’m in the dark ages. LOL 

2 minutes ago, SamSuffit said:

I don’t understand: why the fix is done by USB key and not by firmware update? (It would be more practical)

or is it for a quick fix, later also done by firmware update?

I'm guessing the BT controller is independent from the main CPU and so has independent firmware that can't be updated wirelessly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SamSuffit said:

I don’t understand: why the fix is done by USB key and not by firmware update? (It would be more practical)

or is it for a quick fix, later also done by firmware update?

I don't know this for sure, but this is my guess from working as support from a major tech company. 

The BT module is a separate module inserted into the controller board. We have seen this on KS18L/XL, and I think I spotted this too on Ecodrits tear down too. 

If you were to access this while live and active on (the BT module) you might not be able update it at the same time.  Another thing is by going by USB you risk less issues with broken connection or unable to connect in a scenario where BT fw is outdated. This happened to my iRobot floor washer, so they had to replace it. It happened too on my Inmotion V8 so I could only connect by Wheelog due to it having a manual BT mac address connection option. 

So here goes yet another fanboy, if you like argument, that they have thought about just happens to be by lucky a smart solution in worse case scenario to update BT module.

• Like 1

As moderator, i  moved all above messages to here to keep 16x issue thread clean. Please discuss it here instead.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Serge Thibault said:

Hi,

Where can I download the update? 

Thanks

I don’t know. As my wheel will be updated before it leaves the dealer. I suggest contact you dealer they should have info on this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, magicrobots said:

I just did a big ass trail ride and after updating I can also confirm zero issues. I'm pretty stoked. Thing feels solid.

I just tried to attach the update file to this post. Does that work?

updata.bfu 444.5 kB · 1 download

Yes it works. I was able to download it. Not that I have a 16x.... yet.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, Jon Stern said:

FIXED!

Having installed the Bluetooth fix, I just rode 12 miles without any random tilts!

Update

Sadly not fixed!

This evening it was getting dark as I set off from work, so I decided to ride with some music (something I don't usually do) for enhanced noticeability.

Halfway through my 4 mile ride I got a quite severe tiltback.

Prior to this it seemed there was some slight pedal float going on.

@Micheal Shen

Edited by Jon Stern

• 6 months later...

I want to revive this topic and bring clarity to this thread for newbies.
Is it still necessary to apply the patch to "younger" batches?
Is there anyone who really helped?
After changing the Bluetooth frequency, the connection is stable or dropped?.
Many "older" ks16x are still in circulation. I don't mean batch 1th. Many vendors who used cargo ships and trains may still have a 2th batch due to the length of delivery from China.
What we probably know. Motherboard 1.5 should solve this problem on the hardware level.
 Are there people who have never recorded a bluetooth patch and have "older" ks16x and have no problems with it?
The firmware version should not be affected by this (1.05,1.06,1.07) on bluetooth.
The Bluetooth module is standalone and has its firmware.
What I have received information from vendors who replied to me does not need to apply this patch. Because in the forum this information is fragmented in multiple threads, it will be good to give clarity here.
To sum up, I know (rumors and conjecture) There is no need to apply the Bluetooth patch to different batches than the first one.

What you think?

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2020 at 11:42 AM, DjPanJan said:

I want to revive this topic and bring clarity to this thread for newbies.
Is it still necessary to apply the patch to "younger" batches?
Is there anyone who really helped?
After changing the Bluetooth frequency, the connection is stable or dropped?.
Many "older" ks16x are still in circulation. I don't mean batch 1th. Many vendors who used cargo ships and trains may still have a 2th batch due to the length of delivery from China.
What we probably know. Motherboard 1.5 should solve this problem on the hardware level.
 Are there people who have never recorded a bluetooth patch and have "older" ks16x and have no problems with it?
The firmware version should not be affected by this (1.05,1.06,1.07) on bluetooth.
The Bluetooth module is standalone and has its firmware.
What I have received information from vendors who replied to me does not need to apply this patch. Because in the forum this information is fragmented in multiple threads, it will be good to give clarity here.
To sum up, I know (rumors and conjecture) There is no need to apply the Bluetooth patch to different batches than the first one.

What you think?

Problem, apparently, still exists. I don't know if it's the control board malfunctioning or whatever, but my wheel floats and dips around, and it's with the newest control board. I am trying the fix today to see if it actually fixes anything, or I'll be swapping the board yet again. 

Edited by George Iliev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George Iliev said:

Problem, apparently, still exists. I don't know if it's the control board malfunctioning or whatever, but my wheel floats and dips around, and it's with the newest control board. I am trying the fix today to see if it actually fixes anything, or I'll be swapping the board yet again. 

give feedback i personaly do this patch 2th batch production 10.8.2019.

quick summary how to do it: left usb flashdisk fat 32 default alocation table size 16gb 32 gb ideal usb stick size. On flashdisk 1x mp3 + patch file. Plug in wait to flash complete and recalibrate 16X.

About floating pedals it is often a question of getting balancing/calibration done right. It might not always complete correctly despite it seem to be okey.

You will know once you ride the KS16X. There seems to be an issue with having is biased going a little forward or backwards intentionally curing the calibrations. It just doesn't like it :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

About floating pedals it is often a question of getting balancing/calibration done right. It might not always complete correctly despite it seem to be okey.

You will know once you ride the KS16X. There seems to be an issue with having is biased going a little forward or backwards intentionally curing the calibrations. It just doesn't like it :rolleyes:

I tried the BT patch today, recalibrated as I always do - with a digital bubble level tool on top of the wheel, with degrees flashing between 0.00 to +-0.02. Today I rode the wheel for 10ish kilometers and didn't notice a single dip or floating. Possibly just a tad bit while accelerating, but it could be possible that's what they call "soft mode" (havent tried if it's there in hard mode). 

My dealer says if it's ok for another 24 hours (48 hrs in total) after that calibration, it could be the end of my issues. Apparently there's some problem with some of the KS control boards, where they won't keep a stable calibration for more than 16-24 hours. Will report again when I do some riding tomorrow or the day after. 

• Like 2